Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since Broquet has been mentioned again

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2001, 08:05 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone see any benefit(s) from this product?

Jason
Old 23 October 2001, 08:49 PM
mark_wrx
Scooby Regular

been looking to get one myself so i would like to know as well
Old 23 October 2001, 09:47 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

I have one I did not use, because of the fitting.

I'm just wanted to know if anybody did and got some benefit.

Jason
Old 24 October 2001, 11:27 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

beg pardon for bumping this to the top. A lot of people bought the Broquet and I can only assume we don't talk about it is because we didn't see any benefit?

Jason
Old 24 October 2001, 12:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I purchased ansd fitted broquet, and I have noticed some differences, the engine does seem smoother and there does seem to be some increase in mpg. you want figures? well, I've not got any comprehensive ones, because I'm still collecting the information.

As to why no one talks about it, well, some say it works, some say it does not work, and as such the last time this topic came up fur started to fly.

Some people who've not even tried it say it does not work, and in my eyes that's a tad silly, beacuse even if you read all the data on it and if if you don't support or believe the data, then you should at give it a go so you can prove to yourself once and for all wether it works or not, and then you will be able to comment on it having tried it.

So, bottom line. I've used it, and for me it has done something.

Why did I use it? well, I'd read some information about it, then the scoobynet shop monster deal for it came up, and I thought 'what the hell' and went for it. The other reason is that I have a WRX Wagon, and thus everyone and his dog says I should run it on 97 RON (or higher) fuel, but I don't, I run it on 95 RON fuel, as such there is the possibility of this causing det, which is not a good thing, my understanding of broquet is that it was originally designed to help aircraft (spitfires? hurricaines?) that were stationed in places with low grade fuel, this use of low grade fuel would cause det, and broquet when used, would reduce and possibly stop det, which was a good thing.
Therefore I thought that if it gave me a bit more of a safety margin then it'd be worth it. OK, so I should really have a chat with Bob Rawle and give him and large fistfull of 50's and get him to install a Link and map the car for 95 RON...... as this to me would be the best way to safely run on 95 RON fuel. Anyway, I digress, if it helped out aricrafts to prevent det then maybe it would do the same for my car.

I should note that in the last 'debate' about this I stood on the side of David Lock, and this time round I'll do the same. call me a fool if you wish ("you are a fool" - whole of the scoobynet community! ) but for me broquet seems to have worked, you wanna argue with me, go ahead.
Old 24 October 2001, 12:11 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

just to rile the unbelievers ;-).........

fitted 2 x 8 cone unit to my b4rsk 5 months ago(fitting on the legacy is a nightmare btw - nowhere near as easy as the impreza) and have been monitoring ignition advance, knock sensor activity etc. ever since - I can confirm only that the engine is running very well indeed with no det at all and very healthy ignition advance... fuel consumption improvement = negligible.

They certainly worked very well on my last (modified) sti 5 and I would recommend them without hesitation - just don't expect miracles and you won't be disappointed!

I also wouldn't reccommend trying to run jap spec cars on 95 RON + broquet - there is no substitute for using SUL 97 RON.

FWIW - I think the various guys selling 'em will give you your money back if you aren't satisfied + return them - thus you can't really lose can you?

Paul W
Old 24 October 2001, 12:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Paul! at last someone else who supports broquet!! glad I'm not alone.

I should have also sated that I do and will not encourage jap import owners to run their cars on 95 RON. I just do it cos I'm like that If the car was a saloon and not a wagon then it would be run on 97 (or higher) and if it was an STi then again it would be 97 or higher, plus OB, or just get it 'linked' and remapped.

Old 24 October 2001, 12:35 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

After opening up both fuel covers in the boot, I confirmed that Broquet was already in my P1 - bought from new. I went ahead and put another load in anyway.

I also think the running is smoother. After fitting it (about 3 to 4 months ago) I kept records of fuel consumption benefits. There wasn't much - about 0.8 mpg but there was a difference.

I would use the stuff again.

Regards,

Simon

Old 24 October 2001, 12:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

well, that's 3 of us that have used it and reckon it does *something* and 3 of us that would use it again. Pretty sure AdamM said he's used it, so might be 4 of us.
Old 24 October 2001, 12:53 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

ok just to be REALLY thick, what a broquet? i thought it was a breadcrumb coated potato snack

Old 24 October 2001, 12:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ahhh, that could explain why people reckon they don't work then, they've been putting potato products in their fuel tanks :

think you mean croquet

as for broquet, check out http://www.broquet.co.uk/
Old 24 October 2001, 12:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

yes markus, I do rate them. Notice bettr running nd fuel consumption. Bob rawle might back this up, as I think it allowed him more ignitioj advance, but dont quote me, ask him yourself.
Old 24 October 2001, 12:59 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Speak to David Lock who distributes it.

david@broquet.co.uk

Regards,

Simon
Old 24 October 2001, 01:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Adam, thanks for comenting on this thread, had seen your comments about you using it on one of the other (many) threads now poping up about it.
Old 24 October 2001, 01:51 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys, but until there is extensive clinical testing done under laboritory conditions, you are all basing your statements on not fact, just "PERCEPTIONS".

When one of you puts an engine in a lab, controls temp, air humidity, fueling etc and then shows me the results for before / after that PROVE it makes a difference, i will continue with stating my point that your all talking bullsh1te about what you think, not hard fact. It makes me laugh how stupid you sound if you make some sweeping comment like "FACT - i get better MPG"!!! Its just your experience using a product under very differing conditions that can all factor in to alter the MPG of your car.

And please tell me how you quantify "smoothness" of engine forchrisake!!!!!

Jza

Old 24 October 2001, 02:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jza,
a question for you. have you actually used broquet????

if not then why not try it for yourself and see if you find any differences. if not then you may be able to return it and get a refund, thus no harm is done, apart from maybe having to eat some humble pie
Old 24 October 2001, 02:50 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Markus,

No - i dont buy "miracle anti-aging creams" either cause they, like broquets, have no facts to prove they work.

I like to know something works before parting with my cash. But if you've got £100+ and are happy in the knowledge that it may not do anything and the likelyhood of you ever finding out it does anything by your "independant" tests is very unlikely so you'll never send it back, (gulp for air), then all the best mate. I'll send you a tub of vaseline

Jza
Old 24 October 2001, 03:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

fair enough then, we're entitled to our own views, guess I got a bit carried away there. It's just that in the last debate everyone was saying it don't work, can't work, etc... and most of those had not tried it. Guess the only way to prove this, from a scooby viewpoint would be to bech test it, but who's going to pay for that? Well, if I win the lottery then I will, well, I'll pay someone to do it, and yes, I'm serious (send me your unwanted lottery winnings if you wish ). At least then we'd know for sure. hmmm, in fact in an ideal lottery winning world I'd also test other things such as performance parts, so we can see what gains losses occur between, for example, downpie X and downpipe Y. but I digress.

Think that this debate is going to go nowhere, as you either use and know /think you know it works/does not work or you don't use it and you know/think you know it works or does not work.

maybe time to close this thread before it really gets out of hand.
Old 24 October 2001, 03:08 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

There have been tests against a control engine with broquet filtereed fuel and normal fuel which have shown higher flame propogation speed and lower co emissions with the broquet in place.
Old 24 October 2001, 03:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Adam, not being rude, but "huh?" what does that mean? me not that smart, me still in caveman mode, urrgg!
Old 24 October 2001, 06:05 PM
mark_wrx
Scooby Regular

what r they like to fit then i hear u put them in the tank
Old 24 October 2001, 06:21 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

To save time everybody could just copy and paste their responses from the last time this subject was debated.
As far as I can tell, nothing has changed, except that I get more "save 28% on your fuel bills" spam now
KF.
Old 25 October 2001, 09:26 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

mark_wrx,
yup, you open up the tank access hatches in the boot and then drop them in. easy really. They come with instructions on how to open the access hatches as well!

KF, you're not insinuating that your email was spamed by someone are you??? serious accusation if you are.

[Edited by Markus - 25/10/2001 09:35:47]
Old 25 October 2001, 12:48 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Well I posted the question with the best of intentions but with hindsight perhaps I shouldn't have bothered. I missed the last posting on this BTW.

The responses are subjective. Objective proof relies scientific testing which we don't forsee happening in the near future.

Because of the difficulty involved in installing mine is likely to remain in the shed.

Jason
Old 25 October 2001, 01:08 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Well I posted the question with the best of intentions but with hindsight perhaps I shouldn't have bothered. I missed the last posting on this BTW.

The responses are subjective. Objective proof relies scientific testing which we don't forsee happening in the near future.

Because of the difficulty involved in installing mine is likely to remain in the shed.

Jason
Old 25 October 2001, 01:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jason,
What's the difficulty with installing it in your car? just curious. email me if you want (see my profile)
Old 25 October 2001, 01:13 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Markus,
Not insinuating - I just came right out with it
Can you believe it, between the "loose weight in your sleep" and "How to get out of debt" mails. I never thought spam could be so well targetted
KF.