Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth owning a turbo from a sport ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2006, 07:59 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is it worth owning a turbo from a sport ?

Missus wrote my sport off, it was a trubo in everyway, except for the turbo LOL, so now, is it worth going the turbo root or not ?

owning the sport i had to replace clutch/flywheel at a cost of £700 main dealer, didnt really boot it much as i was worried of the gas going down, so in owning a turbo, will i ever drive it as i get the impression they are even worse than the sports !!

it would be an older model, 94-95 for about £3k

is it worth it or shall i get a vectra GSI ? :-)

all constructive comments welcome....
Old 07 April 2006, 08:06 PM
Chris79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I had an 1995 RA for 2.5 years up until I bumped it last October, dashed out and bought a W reg Vectra GSI, sold that yesterday and my STI3 arrives on Tuesday!!

Have a go in one - you won't look back.

Chris
Old 07 April 2006, 08:07 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant really compare a N/A car to a turbo..

And £700 for a clutch? You got DONE!
Old 07 April 2006, 08:12 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Davey, u aint been to a main dealer and had a new clutch/flywheel etc done then matey !!!

even clutch clinic wanted £600 for clutch alone !!

anyhoo, its the mpg that im more worried about, i drive around city most of the time, was getting about 26 mpg in th esport,light footed !

dont think i could afford to run one, and then theres buying the dearer fuel,suppose i could put 95 ron in :-) , i wouldnt be booting it much !! LOL
Old 07 April 2006, 08:14 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
Davey, u aint been to a main dealer and had a new clutch/flywheel etc done then matey !!!

anyhoo, its the mpg that im more worried about, i drive around city most of the time, was getting about 26 mpg in th esport,light footed !

dont think i could afford to run one, and then theres buying the dearer fuel,suppose i could put 95 ron in :-) , i wouldnt be booting it much !! LOL
all the fun things in life cost, i say go for it and stop being a fairy

Old 07 April 2006, 08:19 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

And you wonder why??

EVERYTHING to do with the Impreza is a rip off when it comes to maintainence.. It takes no more than 1.5 hours to do a cambelt change but main dealers charge hundreds!! Same with most other things, the clutch is about a 4 hour job and you can get the clutch and pressure plate for just over £100..
Old 07 April 2006, 08:22 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

If you can stretch, go for an MY97 onwards - this year saw a big improvement over the previous model including much better interior/seats and front end. The revised engine also had more torque and improved mid-range.

If you can get a good 'un, a turbo should be no less reliable than the sport - I had 2 MY97's for over 4 years and had no problems at all

The sport and turbo are entirely different cars - which one you prefer is a horses for courses thing really. The shove from the turbo will soon convince you though and make you grin every time you go for a spirited drive
Old 07 April 2006, 08:23 PM
paulquest
Scooby Regular

Get the turbo!! You will love it.

Got a brother who does all the mechanicy things for me for nothing so I'm lucky in that respect.
Old 07 April 2006, 08:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Hmm, but its all the crap i read on here about right fuel to use/just bought one and its gone bang/etc etc.

i would like one, but tis the mpg thats the real killer i think...........
Old 07 April 2006, 08:26 PM
Scoobe
Scooby Regular

hi a scooby turbo is a different drive to a sport power wise and is a buzz to drive, But if your worried about fuel economy maybe its not the car for you.

Test drive you one then you prob wont be able to resit
Old 07 April 2006, 08:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not noticed a massive difference in fuel to be honest, changed from a sport to a turbo last sept. The sport, I felt always lacked, lovely car but didnt have the smile factor. The turbo is amazing. Even now after booting it everyday for months I still love the way it pulls and keeps pulling until your bottle goes
Old 07 April 2006, 08:37 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Hmm, but its all the crap i read on here about right fuel to use/just bought one and its gone bang/etc etc.

I think you'll find this is to do with the way people drive them If you dont drive like Colin McCrazy you'll be fine.
Old 07 April 2006, 08:57 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Missus wrote my sport off, it was a trubo in everyway, except for the turbo LOL, so now, is it worth going the turbo root or not ?

owning the sport i had to replace clutch/flywheel at a cost of £700 main dealer, didnt really boot it much as i was worried of the gas going down, so in owning a turbo, will i ever drive it as i get the impression they are even worse than the sports !!

it would be an older model, 94-95 for about £3k

is it worth it or shall i get a vectra GSI ? :-)

all constructive comments welcome....
If you do get one ffs, don't let the bread knife behind the wheel!
Old 07 April 2006, 09:00 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Get a standard uk one (do they exist..) and you can run it one 95RON the ones which go bang are usually jap imports or tuned uk ones which prefer to run on the higher octane stuff.
Old 07 April 2006, 09:04 PM
95blackWRX
Scooby Regular

you are clearly a big girl if ur too scared to own a turbo then dont
Old 07 April 2006, 09:04 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

A friend of mine had a sport and after a long discussion I firmly believe I was getting better MPG from my TEK'd UK turbo to his Sport. I've had close to 350 miles from a tank of Optimax.

This is by no means scientific and whilst he would put in Tescos finest I stick to Optimax so I'm paying more but there really wasn't anything in it.

I've read on here of people buying MY99s for £5K so personally I would get together the other 2K and look for a bargain. Its a buyers market so keep looking and stick with the Turbo!
Old 07 April 2006, 09:10 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

I had a Sport for 3 years, loved it in every way. I now have a wrx and love that even more. I reckon I get about 31 - 32 mpg from my wrx, so by the look of things its better than your sport. A turbo actually makes an engine more efficient, but you don't actually have to use the boost at all if you don't rev it too high. As said before, go for a ride in one and that will make your mind up.
If you don't try it you'll never know eh?
Old 07 April 2006, 09:32 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

You will get around 30 MPG from a turbo if you dont have a heavy right foot.
If you have a heavy right foot then its gonna go as low as 15 MPG.
Turbos are great but the older you buy one the more you have to think about who owned it before. It might have one owner but that owner could have abused it for years. Nothing on a car is cheap to fix these days but with an old turbo car you may be looking at some expensive fixes. Not trying to put you off. I drive a 95 Wrx import and its been great to me. You have to find a decent example since cars this old, no matter what make, are gonna have things that are "past their sell buy date". Its a bit like a gamble on the horses. If you cant afford to loose it then dont lay the bet. The good thing about scoobs is most people that own them love them more than the women in their life (joke) and they tend to get all the attension they need.
Old 07 April 2006, 09:45 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

I had my turbo tis week and chucked a tenner in it cos it was empty, fair play it done just under 60 miles and werent on empty.

If you find that you cant afford it sell it, i went from 1.7td to a 2l turbo and absolutly cacked myself when i got in it, now you cant get me out of it,even just sitting outside the house...lol

I would give it a go m8,what you got to lose......and you only live once.

Scud
Old 07 April 2006, 09:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

true, u are only alive once, thank god, couldnt go through the terrible 2 stage my 2 kids gave me LOL !!! now im onto terrible 3`s stage !!!
i couldnt afford more than £3k so it will be a 95 ish model,prob with 100k on clock :-)

i only like them inwhite, my sport was white, the other colors just dont do it for me, and white seems to be rare still !?!?

fussy aint i LOL
Old 08 April 2006, 09:09 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

TBH if you can only afford £3K you're going to be lucky to get one that isnt going to cost a load in parts or repairs over the next year.

As you pointed out, servicing and parts are expensive, Imprezas arent cheap cars to run and keep on the road.
Old 08 April 2006, 10:01 PM
stewby2202
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

sport might not be as fast on the greenlight as the turbo but the mid range and top end are,nt much different,the fear factor is just the same at 120+,and from 3-4 hundred difference on insurance id rather have my absolute replica, my 99 sport anyday,it still enjoys a nice golf or gsi for brekky,k+n + 3"stainless decat makes a big difference,go for the late model sport and tart it up ;like before.
Old 08 April 2006, 10:19 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The 2.0 N/A is very very noticebly slower than the WRX everywhere
Old 08 April 2006, 10:23 PM
Scoobe
Scooby Regular

the mid range maybe the same untill the turbo comes in then bye bye
Old 09 April 2006, 12:22 PM
scoobytub
Scooby Newbie

Go for a drive in one. Your soon change your mind..
Old 09 April 2006, 12:39 PM
dean/abz
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just bought a very nice 1993 wrx on friday for £3000

had 90,000 miles on the clock and perfect body and floor is solid, lots of history with it too

so not sure if you would be able to find a good 95 car for £3000
Old 11 April 2006, 07:56 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stewby2202
sport might not be as fast on the greenlight as the turbo but the mid range and top end are,nt much different,the fear factor is just the same at 120+
Old 11 April 2006, 07:58 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
TBH if you can only afford £3K you're going to be lucky to get one that isnt going to cost a load in parts or repairs over the next year.

As you pointed out, servicing and parts are expensive, Imprezas arent cheap cars to run and keep on the road.
Got to agree with Mike, for this sort of money you might struggle to find a good 'un that hasn't belonged to some ******* chav IMHO.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:03 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well, to be honest, i think they al lhave been owned and modded/ramped by their owners at some time, who buys a turbo and drives it like a 1.1, no-one, so determining which have been abused is a mystery to me, if u bolt on goodies to look good its a ramped up chav mobile, no mods and its a minter, yet whose to say it hasnt been tracked at all just cause no mods ?!!?

i have modded my gsxr some what, steering damper for one, some could say i track it cause i have a damper, i have it to stop wobbles on the road, and not just at 120 mph, but it doesn t mean its been thrashed and unloved, which it hasnt/is loved, more than the missus and kids LOL, nah. !?!?

all confusing really........
Old 11 April 2006, 08:12 PM
Rusty.
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you are worried about cost of fuel on running a turbo, the FFS get some insurance quotes as there is nothing worse than some timewaster turning up to look at a turbo then pulling out of the sale cos he can't afford the insurance

Rant over - I went from a MY99 Sport (owned for 2 years) to a MY02 Jap Import WRX (owned now for 2.5 years). The WRX is a thirsty beast when driven properly (on or off the race track) but I don't regret the move.

I miss my old Sport but wouldn't want it back