Sponsored by:

Who would have thought....

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2006, 02:24 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would have thought....

I've read it on here so many times I lost count , get a decent exhaust and a remap and your car will be transformed !

Well I finally bit the bullet and booked my 2001 wrx into Carnetix in Melton Mowbray to have the following little lot fitted :

3" Group N spec exhaust with a sports cat
Decat up pipe
Ceramic coated almost equal length headers
Uprated fuel pump
Remap
Delta Dash unit with senders for oil temp and pressure
And oil change ( seemed rude not to ! )

So on Tuesday my alarm went off at a rather unhealthy 5.30 am so I could get to Carnetix by 8.30 , got there on time to be greeted by a very welcome cup of tea . The car goes straight off for a bit of data logging before the work begins while I nose around the premises , still a work in progress but you can already see it's going to be a top setup .

The car gets back and it's straight on to the lift , I am slightly concerned that my engine now seems to be idling rather erractically , before it's explained to me that the fuel pump's disconected and they are running the fuel lines dry before changing the pump .

Throughout the morning work continues , helped by me in the form of a long list of questions along the lines of whats that for and whats that do . By lunch time the new bits are all fitted and I'm looking at a big pile of exhaust bits on the floor and a shinny new exhaust on my car

In the afternoon laptops are plugged in and it's off to get mapped by Richard Bulmer . While it's away all my old bits are boxed and wrapped up while I continue to help out as I had in the morning .

The maps done , two it seems as my car supports switchable maps through the delta dash , one for me and one for the wife ( pootle setting as she is already calling it ) .

Now it's my turn for a drive , start of gently in first and second into third a bit of clear road a bit of throttle , oh my god someones set a bomb off behind us , at least thats what I thought , Richard remarked thats only 50% throttle , I can see from the laptop . Ok next bit of clear road this time I floor it , car takes off like something possessed and just keeps pulling all the way to the redline , no drop off after 6000 , it just gets better and better .

I could go on like this for ages but if you've had this sort of stuff done then you know what I'm talking about , if you haven't then get it done now !

So a big thanks to Glenn , Becky and Richard for all their work Top service from start to finish and I think you might of guessed by now that I'm pretty happy with the results .

Off to Bruntingthorpe on Saturday to try it out properly .

Cheers ,

Martin .

PS while I was typing this Glenn phoned to check I was happy with everything Service how it should be .
Old 06 April 2006, 03:04 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyewrx
I've read it on here so many times I lost count , get a decent exhaust and a remap and your car will be transformed !

Well I finally bit the bullet and booked my 2001 wrx into Carnetix in Melton Mowbray to have the following little lot fitted :

3" Group N spec exhaust with a sports cat
Decat up pipe
Ceramic coated almost equal length headers
Uprated fuel pump
Remap
Delta Dash unit with senders for oil temp and pressure
And oil change ( seemed rude not to ! )

So on Tuesday my alarm went off at a rather unhealthy 5.30 am so I could get to Carnetix by 8.30 , got there on time to be greeted by a very welcome cup of tea . The car goes straight off for a bit of data logging before the work begins while I nose around the premises , still a work in progress but you can already see it's going to be a top setup .

The car gets back and it's straight on to the lift , I am slightly concerned that my engine now seems to be idling rather erractically , before it's explained to me that the fuel pump's disconected and they are running the fuel lines dry before changing the pump .

Throughout the morning work continues , helped by me in the form of a long list of questions along the lines of whats that for and whats that do . By lunch time the new bits are all fitted and I'm looking at a big pile of exhaust bits on the floor and a shinny new exhaust on my car

In the afternoon laptops are plugged in and it's off to get mapped by Richard Bulmer . While it's away all my old bits are boxed and wrapped up while I continue to help out as I had in the morning .

The maps done , two it seems as my car supports switchable maps through the delta dash , one for me and one for the wife ( pootle setting as she is already calling it ) .

Now it's my turn for a drive , start of gently in first and second into third a bit of clear road a bit of throttle , oh my god someones set a bomb off behind us , at least thats what I thought , Richard remarked thats only 50% throttle , I can see from the laptop . Ok next bit of clear road this time I floor it , car takes off like something possessed and just keeps pulling all the way to the redline , no drop off after 6000 , it just gets better and better .

I could go on like this for ages but if you've had this sort of stuff done then you know what I'm talking about , if you haven't then get it done now !

So a big thanks to Glenn , Becky and Richard for all their work Top service from start to finish and I think you might of guessed by now that I'm pretty happy with the results .

Off to Bruntingthorpe on Saturday to try it out properly .

Cheers ,

Martin .

PS while I was typing this Glenn phoned to check I was happy with everything Service how it should be .
Sounds great, i'd love to get that done to my classic, how much did it set you back?
Old 06 April 2006, 03:12 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Yes, a costing would be appreciated if possible
Old 06 April 2006, 03:21 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

It's so nice to hear positive posts like this!...........They deserve a mention.Really pleased for you,i hope my rebuild goes as well!
Old 06 April 2006, 04:02 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Cost ... All in inc vat was £3600 plus change , not cheap I will admit but they aren't cheap parts ( exhaust £925 + VAT ) and you get what you pay for .

Martin
Old 06 April 2006, 04:51 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Cost ... All in inc vat was £3600 plus change , not cheap I will admit but they aren't cheap parts ( exhaust £925 + VAT ) and you get what you pay for .

Martin

very true, yuo get what yuo pay for, but seemed worth it
Old 06 April 2006, 05:58 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Martin
Wow, i knew it would be expensive but I didn't reckon on that much. I'm glad for you, you've done it though.

Describe the difference if you can, is it that different?
Old 06 April 2006, 06:49 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Andy ,

You can do most of this for alot less money . Powerstation do an exhaust and remap for 01> ( not sure about classics ) for £1880 inc the vat , but as they themselves said I'd need a bung for trackdays , which sort of defeated the point for me ( cars at it's slowest when you can drive it fastest ) . Also sports cats for 3" systems aren't cheap but I didn't want to have to mess around at MOT time . Also do you want a delta dash unit ? It all added to the price !

Give Carnetix a ring , speak to Glenn or Becky and see what they suggest .

220hp to 280 hp approx , Best way to describe the difference , it's like being in one gear lower only it doesn't run out of puff as you get past 6000 rpm

Cheers

Martin .

PS

I know 280 hp not that much really ( been in a couple of 350 hp classics ) , but it's putting a smile on my face for now

Last edited by bugeyewrx; 06 April 2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:58 PM
GlenBec
Scooby Newbie

Martin

We are glad that you are happy with the results. Hope to see you on Saturday at Bruntingthorpe. If we can't make it, have a good time!!

Becky and Glenn
Old 07 April 2006, 08:34 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Richard did my STI a few weeks ago, he is a fantastic mapper