Sponsored by:

MY06 Import / Non-import differences

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2006, 12:43 PM
robm1000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 Import / Non-import differences

Newbie posting here! Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a UK MY06 Impreza WRX and an import one?

Looking at the ones here:

http://www.allbrandsnew.com/search_r...999&cartype=UK

&

http://www.motordepot.co.uk/search_r...&model=IMPREZA

Given the price, I presume that these are imports?

Finally if it is an import is it likely to affect the cost of insurance? And will the forthcoming PPP be able to be fitted?

Any advice much appreciated!

Rob
Old 29 March 2006, 01:01 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Can't comment specifically on MY06 models but suspect it will be same as MY05. EU models tend to be the same spec as UK only don't come with alarm or locking wheel nuts and they may have slightly different service intervals.

Many of the car supermarkets that advertise low cost cars pre register EU imports which will probably prevent you from receiving the full 3 year subaru pan european subaru warranty. However there are dealers who can supply EU cars at low cost which still enable you to have the the 3 year pan european warranty honoured by IM in the UK. Alliance is one such dealer.

I had no problem insuring my 05 EU (cyprus) wrx with Privilege and there is no cost penalty and my warranty is registered with IM.

PPP is not normally fitted and I don't think that the EU suppliers honour a warranty on a car which has it fitted.

Suggest you check carefully re warranty situation when purchasing but it is a good way of saving money on the purchase price.

Originally Posted by robm1000
Newbie posting here! Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a UK MY06 Impreza WRX and an import one?

Looking at the ones here:

http://www.allbrandsnew.com/search_r...999&cartype=UK

&

http://www.motordepot.co.uk/search_r...&model=IMPREZA

Given the price, I presume that these are imports?

Finally if it is an import is it likely to affect the cost of insurance? And will the forthcoming PPP be able to be fitted?

Any advice much appreciated!

Rob
Old 29 March 2006, 01:03 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

i have an MY05 import. PPP is a no no (mines maltese)
Old 29 March 2006, 04:06 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Seems to be a grey area with the PPP being allowed on imports.

I was looking to get a Euro Sti but had differing answers regarding PPP being allowed.
Old 29 March 2006, 04:46 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I've an MY05 import from Alliance - no differace to insure, seats slightly different to UK turbo cars (little hump between legs), no alarm or locking wheel nuts as standard. Easy sorted !
Got differring answer to PPP, found a few places that would fit it but would not be warrented (little point then !). Service interval as per UK car (got a Uk service book as well !).

Richard
Old 29 March 2006, 05:40 PM
robm1000
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like there are possibly some problems / annoyances there. Think I will go for an 05 WRX PPP instead then....

Rob
Old 29 March 2006, 05:55 PM
dot250
Scooby Regular

Default 06 WRX

Most imports dont have the side air bags & warranty can be an issue.I am just negotiating a good deal on a standard WRX.I will post with the price I paid & spec in a few days??????????????
Old 29 March 2006, 06:24 PM
pj748r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dot250
Most imports dont have the side air bags & warranty can be an issue.I am just negotiating a good deal on a standard WRX.I will post with the price I paid & spec in a few days??????????????
Side airbags and warranty with my MY05 import from Malta.
Old 29 March 2006, 10:51 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robm1000
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like there are possibly some problems / annoyances there. Think I will go for an 05 WRX PPP instead then....

Rob
no probs with warranty - this was sorted by a ruling from Subaru Europe who instructed Subaru UK to get into line with the rest of Europe and honour the 3 yr warranties - it's a pity that people still keep saying that there are issues with warranties when there are huge savings to be made !

no probs with airbags - just ask the supplier to confirm.

only problem I'd have with Alliance is their price when Motorpoint are doing std wrx 06my for £14,999 plus about £300 OTR charge. Motorpoint pre register the cars (or they did when I got mine in jan 05) - doesn't make any difference to me. Motorpoint supplied me from stock - Alliance are advertising from stock too.

Tim
Old 30 March 2006, 08:17 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Alliance are advertising the cars with side airbags but TBH the buckets without the air bags are 100 times better seats unless you have a really fat a*se !!! I have tried both and was pleased my import had the buckets.

Dont be put off, other than no being able to PPP buying an EU isnt a problem - £30 for locking nuts & £250-£300 for a cat 1 alarm and you have the same car - only cheaper !!!
Old 30 March 2006, 01:20 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

THey only have to honour them if the car is not pre registered
hence motorpoint are probably cheaper than alliance.

Originally Posted by tim's wrx
no probs with warranty - this was sorted by a ruling from Subaru Europe who instructed Subaru UK to get into line with the rest of Europe and honour the 3 yr warranties - it's a pity that people still keep saying that there are issues with warranties when there are huge savings to be made !

no probs with airbags - just ask the supplier to confirm.

only problem I'd have with Alliance is their price when Motorpoint are doing std wrx 06my for £14,999 plus about £300 OTR charge. Motorpoint pre register the cars (or they did when I got mine in jan 05) - doesn't make any difference to me. Motorpoint supplied me from stock - Alliance are advertising from stock too.

Tim
Old 30 March 2006, 02:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You need to be specific of WHICH import your looking at and where it comes from:

Japanease import
European import
and Non-EU

All are different. So you need to be specific at which market car your looking at to know the differneces.
Old 30 March 2006, 06:58 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
THey only have to honour them if the car is not pre registered
hence motorpoint are probably cheaper than alliance.
Subaru Europe wrote to me in December to say that my Malta sourced pre registered WRX from Motorpoint is covered by the 3 yr European Warranty: this is what all the fuss was about but was cleared up due to intervention of Subaru Europe.

According to Subaru Europe, the only thing to present to IM / Subaru UK is your 3 yr warranty / service booklet supplied by the originating authorised Subaru dealer in the European Economic Area - Malta, Cyprus or wherever else in Europe. No need for invoices etc - the warranty booklet is the evidence of the 3yr warranty and it's the only thing which Subaru UK should be asking for.

For example, if I happened to need emergency warranty work done when driving thro Germany, then I would not expect a German Subaru dealer to ask me to have a copy of my original purchase invoice. My warranty booklet is all the evidence that's needed.
Old 18 August 2006, 09:07 AM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

<DIV>Dear Sir,

Thank your for your Email,

In order to maintain a valid warranty you must follow the guidelines and instructions set in our Warranty & Service booklet.

You will notice that the booklet indicates shorter service intervals because it takes into account the Maltese geographic region & climate conditions, which in certain circumstances (would) requires earlier service intervals.

However it is worth noting that only the grey shaded (service) slots are mandatory (IE: Service 1,3,5,7 etc..), whereas the NON-Shaded slots are optional or required depending on the car's usage (E.g.: If you use your car under severe conditions such as towing, weather, etc).

Under normal driving and road conditions in the UK you will be just fine to service the car at least every 12 months or every 9,500/10,000 miles which ever occurs first.

Hope the above answers your query.

May we take this opportunity to wish you many years of enjoyable trouble-free motoring!

Kind Regards,
AfterSales Department

Liaco Limited

<FONT face=Arial color=navy size=2>