Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anybody reconnected their Telematix E-Guard?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2001, 12:21 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I assume i'm not the only E-Guard user who's had a letter from Global-i offering to reconnect them?
The reconnection fee of £75 sounded a bit steep, but it seems they have to get a technician to install a completely different unit, that apparently doesn't drain the battery like the old one.
From there, it seems as though it's £80 per year to have your vehicle monitored, plus £5 per month to Orange for "hire" of the transmitter.
What it doesn't say is how many times you can call them, at 8p per minute, or whether they will call you first if your car is stolen. With Telematix, i didn't even need to know if it had gone, whereas Global-i don't seem to be offering the same service.
Anyone actually reconnected? Anything else i need to know before i do?

cheers,
Terry
Old 21 October 2001, 12:50 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Are you sure the 8p a minute isn't for the device to let the monitoring centre know where your car is?

My eguard went wrong after a couple of months - it seems the unit was phoning the monitoring centre every few seconds and it was costing them a bomb. Strangely enough an engineer was round very quickly to replace the unit.

Until someone can tell me the real costs of reconnecting, I'm not sure I will.
Old 21 October 2001, 04:44 PM
Shaggy Dog
Scooby Regular

Question

Starting a long & dodgy question here...

As I understand it, a tracking device has a sim card in it that is similar or indeed the same to a mobile phone.

Therefore, why can you not just replace the sim with your own???

Obviously, you'd need to know how to deal with the information that goes in & out - so anyone any idea where you can get the software?

If you were able to do this, then you could have your own tracking on your car & probably at a fraction of the cost?