Sponsored by:

Help tight budget on sti

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2006, 03:06 PM
wil2249
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help tight budget on sti

Hi i recently bought a sti 03 so i dont have much money left but really wanna give it a little boost in power what do you think is the cheapest but best mods to help my car gain some good extra power!and what sort of price would i be looking at ?

Last edited by wil2249; 27 February 2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 27 February 2006, 03:09 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remap approx £700.
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

if you still have the manufactures warranty, i would PPP it mate, sub 2K for safe gains, thge same gains can be had for less cash, but, how much is your warranty worth to you is the question you need to ask yourself.

john
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Cheapest power increase would be a bleed valve (£10) on the actuator, but the car will probably go KABOOM after a while
Old 27 February 2006, 03:12 PM
wil2249
Scooby Newbie

i beleive it is the sti ppp!how can i tell was really into my evo,s see so just transfered in the subaru club lol !wont a remap only work if i have had dont stuff to my car already to reamap them ?what about the downpipe off the turbo?bleed valve lol asked about that they said its not that simple would need a on board computer what will cost about 1.5 k
Old 27 February 2006, 03:20 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The factory map will be for driveability, the car will have decent performance, be economical, reliable, comfortable to drive in traffic and meet stringent emissions regulations.. e.g. Making the car go "fast as a *******" wouldnt have been at the top of the list when the map was being developed.

A remap can change the maximum boost levels, limiter, fuelling etc.
Old 27 February 2006, 03:25 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

if it has the PPP, like said before, decat and a remap are about as far as i would go. just make sure its done at a reputable place

john
Old 27 February 2006, 03:31 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't mod on a budget, but decide on what you want and save for it. In my eyes there can be very little compromise when it comes down to my Impreza as oftern or not the cheap items lack the quality and reliabilty the more expensive ones have and therefore need replacing down the line anyway. If your going to do it, do it properly is my philosophy
Old 27 February 2006, 03:43 PM
wil2249
Scooby Newbie

anyone no where is the best place to take my car in the north west for a remap+is it better to buy the downpipe off the turbo or get a d cat
Old 27 February 2006, 09:34 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

If it really is a PPPed STi then it will have a prodrive sports cat fitted in the downpipe. The difference between a decat downpipe and a sports cat downpipe isn't huge and it means you will never have to worry about emissions testing (03 will be due an MOT soon).

Personally I'd save your money and go for some other mods. The PPP is not giving you the maximum that your setup can give you. It is supposed to be 305bhp but in reality it varies so much from car to car.

There are plenty of people about who have had an STi PPP remapped and got much better power than Prodrive have given it (as Davey says they go for a balance as opposed to power).

Get it RRed and see what power it is actually doing then chat with them and see what gains you might expect. I would have thought you could get close to 320bhp with a remapped PPP STi.

I have just had a map done at prosport and came away with 280/280 ish from a standard 53 wrx with an STi PPP exhaust (decat up pipe, sports cat downpipe, decat center and prodrive rear box). I know it is a wrx but after my turbo change and some STI injectors I should get 320bhp easily.

You have all this already on your car so its easy .

Last edited by Tuts; 27 February 2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 28 February 2006, 09:51 AM
wil2249
Scooby Newbie

any ideas where the best place to get a remap is!dont wanna spend that money and find it did f**K all
Old 28 February 2006, 10:26 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The first giveaway for the PPP will be the Prodrive BB instead of the STi one. The rest of the PPP on an STi is harder to spot, but would have consisted of an uprated fuel pump, Decat centre pipe, high flow sports cat DP and remap chip IIRC. A quick call to your dealer and they will be able to check if the car has been officially PPP'd and arrange for a replacement certificate which you should have anyway.

You could opt for the TSL333 package which is IRO £2k to fit to a standard STi, but can be selectively added around the PPP for much less. Apart from that the world is your oyster as there are very many ways of extracting power from a Scoob. I personally favour handling and chassis mods to make the already adequate power much more useable on the road. My WRX PPP was recently commented on as being a faster road car than my mates STi PPP TSL333 for just this reason, as I can carry much more speed through corners nehating the need for the extra 70+bhp he had. If it hasn't been done, a decent rear ARB and solid links along with a good geometry set-up is a good start, after that some quality adjustable coilovers and maybe the front bar and Whiteline ALK.
Old 28 February 2006, 12:00 PM
wil2249
Scooby Newbie

sounds gd i will have to ask subaru if my car is the ppp model like the guy said because after only buying the vehicle on a thursday,sat night someone smash my window and robed all my service book and warranty stuff! ah so i have ordered a new lot anyone no if anywhere sell eagle f1,s anymore in need of some new tyres