MY06 wrx > Sti differences

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2006, 02:06 PM
Ian@TunerUK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 wrx > Sti differences

newbie here i'm Ian

just want to know what difference between the new wrx and STi is really? different turbo? injectors? etc

thanks in advance
Old 08 February 2006, 02:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Nah the STi has a big daft wing and silly gold alloys on it

Seriously though - firstly, welcome to Scoobynet, not sure about the 06 but apparently the earlier sti models had a bigger intercooler, six speed box and stronger internals.

I'm sure the techies will be along shortly to put me right
Old 08 February 2006, 02:21 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also has active yaw sensor, dccd, more power, diff seats, LSD's, brembos, and diff suspension set up amongst others.

are you thinking about getting one?
Old 08 February 2006, 02:37 PM
Ian@TunerUK
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the welcome!

mulling over a new wrx at the mo yeah, STi is a little out of reach really but was wondering more for future reference really when i decide i want it to go faster

drove a mates bug eye wrx and liked it alot but couldn't afford one at the time, are they much different? i guess they'd be more of a smoother drive with the added capacity and obvious torque gains?
Old 08 February 2006, 02:41 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

sti 2.5 is superb - lovely low down torque that was missing from my sti8 and keeps going - not fully run in yet though.... will let you know when run in and tweaked a bit.
Old 08 February 2006, 05:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just test drove an new 06 2.5 STi today and was impressed with the low down torque. Quite easy to just stay in 4th on twisty B-roads and let the engine range do the work. Started off driving it like any other STi I've driven, whisking through the 6sp 'box like I was making an omlette, but as I became accustomed to the delivery of power everything got a little more controlled and dynamic instead of frantic. Pulled from around 3k right up to 7k, where the older non-PPP 2.0l used to be sluggish until almost 4k and then full on until 6k when it started running out of puff. I also like the active yaw sensors working with the LSD's and active centre diff. The RE070 tyres can be a handfull in anything other than dry conditions, and they were certainly entertaining today on the white dust left by 2 months of gritting and damp slurry patches where the sun doesn't quite get. I could feel the car going, but also feel the diffs pulling things back in. As the tail started to drift the front pulled it straight, but not in a way which spoilt any hooliganish fun, rather complimentary in making a drift easilly controlled at silly speeds. I still don't think I will be changing my 03 WRX PPP for one, as I get 95% of the speed with a much more relaxed ride, especially with my suspension set-up which was way better than the new STi's, which is however better than the old STi's bobbing rear-end. I got out after half an hour feeling like I'd just conquered something stupendous, ellated and drained. After 2-3 hours in my Rex I get out feeling fine, and still manage the same speeds. Maybe I'm getting old
Old 08 February 2006, 06:02 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

good sum up of the driving experience there corradoboy.

taking mine to TSL on friday to have the suspension geometry dialled in cos i dont think they do it right from the factory and the TSL touch worked wonders on my last STi to make it less twitchy and nervous on dodgy cambers. I live in the fens and cambers are all over the shop here as the roads keep disappearing into the fields so it will be much more controlleable fun.

havent quite worked out the DCCD yet but have read the long article on here last night so will be finding some open space soon to give the various settings a bash - or most prob a track day later this year.

the potenza tyres look great - not much experience of them in the wet yet but dry grip is great though i think my old proxies were better.
Old 08 February 2006, 06:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I use Proxies in the winter at the moment, but have some RE070's in storage 'til the spring. In good dry conditions the RE070's add 20mph to some corners. Their grip can be truly astonishing, and I often find my bottle letting go long before the tyre could. They are a compromise though on ride quality, with the excessively stiff side wall and rigid construction giving a very harsh ride on all but the best surfaces, and tramlining quite badly. I find them very nervous if you stray onto a damp white line. When the Toyo's are done for I'll be replacing them with Vredestein UltraC, which a mate had on his STi until recently and were outstanding in all conditions.
Old 08 February 2006, 06:26 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ian, ive just ordered a 06 wrx after having had a 03 wrx for the last 3 years.
Its horses for courses with the sti and wrx, my heart said sti but head and bank balance said wrx.
Ive loved every minute of my my03 but the new 2.5 is a far better drive due to the much improved torque, I'll be putting ppp on this one when available and a silly rear wing and gold wheels.
One major factor for my decision is that our car gets every day use by the missus for school runs and shopping etc. so it seemed the logical choice. The interior is far better in the sti but I'm sure you will be happy with what ever you choose.

Deano.
Old 08 February 2006, 08:16 PM
Ian@TunerUK
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the input guys! think i'm going to take a trip up Monks Heath this weekend or next have a look around and see what i think

it won't be used too much as i have access to a company car most the time, plus a track prepped 205 mi16 for proper fun, just fancy something i can hop into anytime and enjoy driving, while still being comforable

will let you know how i go on when i go look
Old 08 February 2006, 08:30 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I ordered a WRX after going through exactly the same Sti/WRx decision, in the end as the wife will be using it more than me the WRX was the best option.

I too went to Monks Heath, then realised they are a bunch of t*ssers and went to Holdcroft in Widnes instead.... can't complain about them at all. If they are too far, maybe try Robinsons in Rochdale.

Tony.
Old 08 February 2006, 10:05 PM
kev m
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Just test drove an new 06 2.5 STi today and was impressed with the low down torque. Quite easy to just stay in 4th on twisty B-roads and let the engine range do the work. Started off driving it like any other STi I've driven, whisking through the 6sp 'box like I was making an omlette, but as I became accustomed to the delivery of power everything got a little more controlled and dynamic instead of frantic. Pulled from around 3k right up to 7k, where the older non-PPP 2.0l used to be sluggish until almost 4k and then full on until 6k when it started running out of puff. I also like the active yaw sensors working with the LSD's and active centre diff. The RE070 tyres can be a handfull in anything other than dry conditions, and they were certainly entertaining today on the white dust left by 2 months of gritting and damp slurry patches where the sun doesn't quite get. I could feel the car going, but also feel the diffs pulling things back in. As the tail started to drift the front pulled it straight, but not in a way which spoilt any hooliganish fun, rather complimentary in making a drift easilly controlled at silly speeds. I still don't think I will be changing my 03 WRX PPP for one, as I get 95% of the speed with a much more relaxed ride, especially with my suspension set-up which was way better than the new STi's, which is however better than the old STi's bobbing rear-end. I got out after half an hour feeling like I'd just conquered something stupendous, ellated and drained. After 2-3 hours in my Rex I get out feeling fine, and still manage the same speeds. Maybe I'm getting old

I have to agree with the coment above i drove the 2.5 STI at the weekend, after having my STI7ppp for nearly 4 years now i found that the new car pulls better at low revs than a non ppp STI. But did have to change down to 5th when i wanted to accelerate where as the old ppp car would have just pulled in 6th. Can't wait to hear the coments when someone gets to drive a 2.5STIppp.
Old 08 February 2006, 10:17 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

getting my 2.5 sti tweaked on friday - not a PPP but first part of my subtle plan :mwuhahaha - hopefully the missus wont notice

had it opened up a bit tonight and the RE070's are superb on a dry road and with the dccd set on auto it just dragged me round corners that would have had some drift on before.... nice tyres.

has anyone driven with paradas? how do they compare?
Old 09 February 2006, 08:37 AM
Ian@TunerUK
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tone Loc

I too went to Monks Heath, then realised they are a bunch of t*ssers and went to Holdcroft in Widnes instead.... can't complain about them at all. If they are too far, maybe try Robinsons in Rochdale.

Tony.

that's strange i live not too far from Monks Heath and that's where my mate got his wrx then his RB5 from, can't praise them enough