Hello from a newbie and wrx300 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 02:25 PM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from a newbie and wrx300 ownership

Hello

I've been reading these forums since september and thought it was about time I took the plunge, introduced myself and posted something up.

I became the proud owner of a wrx300 back in september, trading in my trusty Golf GTi. I had thought about getting a standard wrx and taking advantage of the free PPP which was on offer at the time, but after doing some reading on here about insurance issues with PPP'd WRXs I decided to go for the 300 since it was alot cheaper to insure than a WRX with PPP (declared as mods) even though the are essentially the same vehicle (£465 fully comp vs. around £800 for the WRX PPP)

I was very pleased with it (apart from having to keep < 4000 rpm for the run in) but a shadow of a doubt began to creep into my mind. Those twin tail pipes for example, and the lack of any real exhaust note. I did some more reading on here and apparently I should have had a single large bore exhaust pipe that actually makes some noise! Lifted the bonnet - no blue intercooler pipe. You've guessed it - the car wasn't PPP'd!

Anyway, by that time I was aproaching 1000 miles and had the car booked in for it's service back at the dealer where I bought it. Decided I would query the dealer when I saw him. He saw me first and came rushing up 'your car may not be fitted with PPP' he informed me before i could utter a word 'I've been waiting for a week for confirmation from Subaru that this is the case'.
I agreed with him and decided I would hurry things along by giving Subaru a call myself. Did so the next day and they confirmed there and then that the car wasn't PPP'd (a week ? yeah, right) and that it was down to the dealer to do this. Got back onto the dealer and got it booked in for the PPP fitment and got a courtesy car while it was in (crappy C4 diesel). To be fair they came and picked the car up (dealership is 50 miles away) and dropped it back.

First thing I did was check out the exhaust - yep ! I could fit a watermelon in there. Got in and turned the key. Growl! Now I was happy, now I was content. Pulled away. Immediately noticed the improved torque and drivability, particularly in low gears, and when I hit the dual carriageway and floored it - my god - peel me off the seat ! My Pre-PPP smile turned to a Post-PPP grin !

Been loving it ever since - the PPP makes a BIG difference to the feel and performance of the car - I would recommend it to anyone considering getting it done.

Only bummer is it's currently in the bodyshop having a nasty long and wide scrape over the rear wheel arch/door/bumper repaired - I let the GF drive it and she scraped it badly getting it out of the garage (turned wheel too soon and scraped the back end down brick wall). Needless to say I was less than
pleased. She didn't get 'serviced' that night

Love the performance, precise handling, exhaust noise and flashes/waves from other scooby owners.

Hate the fuel consumption.

Take care out there.

HPL.
Old 01 February 2006, 02:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by HPLovecraft

Only bummer is it's currently in the bodyshop having a nasty long and wide scrape over the rear wheel arch/door/bumper repaired - I let the GF drive it and she scraped it badly getting it out of the garage (turned wheel too soon and scraped the back end down brick wall). Needless to say I was less than
pleased. She didn't get 'serviced' that night

HPL.
Welcome, glad you're enjoying the car.

BUT, she damaged your car and you didn't even get an "I'm sorry" lay.

That's not right, my friend! Demand satisfaction!

Ns04
Old 01 February 2006, 02:46 PM
ODB
Scooby Regular

Someone else had the same problem with their WRX 300 not being PPP when they got it and no mention of it either by the dealer. I wonder if it was the same dealer or not?

PS I have a WRX 300 too and I love it.
Old 01 February 2006, 03:00 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Welcome the the WRX 300 club mate.

Rich
Old 01 February 2006, 03:38 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Bravo. I have had my 300 a few months now and it is GREAT!
I'll try and load a picture here you you can see mine.
Tally ho my good friend of 300isness...........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0812.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	12  
Old 01 February 2006, 03:43 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate - nice story...glad your enjoying the car!! They do sound great don't they!

Old 01 February 2006, 04:36 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magicdudey
Bravo. I have had my 300 a few months now and it is GREAT!
I'll try and load a picture here you you can see mine.
Tally ho my good friend of 300isness...........

oooo don't like the spoiler looks like one of those awfully common STI ones

Nice flaps though missus....

Rich