Sponsored by:

Help needed on fitting Lamco gauges in an STi import

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2006, 08:34 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed on fitting Lamco gauges in an STi import

I have recently purchased a second-hand set of Lamco gauges in a mount that were an option for Sti's and mounted in the centre console.

The gauges have a small loom on the back that apparently plug into a connector behind the console.

I have located the connector, however, it is ever so slightly different to the connector on the gauges. I believe that somebody may have made the gauge connector and loom to fit to the vehicle loom. However, with a lirttle understanding of what wires are where I hope to be able to re-jig things. What I don't understand is if this is supposed to have been an option for Sti's of my year, why the connector block is slightly different. Could it be that although mine is a 1996 it is a my 1997?

My vehicle is a 1996 WRX Sti3 V-Limited.

Each gauge has a yellow and a black wire and the voltage and the temperature gauge also have a red wire. I am assuming that the yellow and blacks are for the bulbs in the gauges. The red is a live feed for the two gauges. The turbo gauge doesn't need a feed as it takes a pipe inlet so I assume measures the pressure (the gauge having some kind of bellows mechanism?). The voltage gauge has a pair of wires that I assume need to be connected to something to measure the voltage. The temp gauge, I am lead to believe is an intake temperature gauge, can anyone confirm this. Beyond the live feed and the bulb feeds there is nothin else. However, there are two empty sockets that could have wires connected to them. I assume that a return has to come from somewhere and needs to connect to the gauge, but need to confirm from where it comes and to where it connects.

What would be really helpful is a wiring diagram for the connector on the loom of the car, so that I know what the wires are.
A heads-up on the wires that feed the gauges and also what other connections are required for the gauges. Where the turbo pipe connects in the engine bay.

I guess what would be really helpful are some photos of a set already in situ and all knowledge gained fitting them!!!!!

I have taken photos of the gauges which are at http://www.jlh-associates.com/gauges/gauges.htm any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for it being a little long-winded but I hope somebody out there knows something??

I have posted this in a couple of other places (as I'm, desperate) so sorry if you read it elsewhere.

Cheers

Steve
Old 25 January 2006, 10:34 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveG
I have recently purchased a second-hand set of Lamco gauges in a mount that were an option for Sti's and mounted in the centre console.Cheers

Steve
I have the same in my STI 2. It fits between the radio connection and the radio. The boost pipe is fitted to the "spare" connection on the top of the inlet manifold.

If need be I could multi-meter out the wires for you.
Old 26 January 2006, 10:25 AM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Thanks ken, sorry to be a pain...

Hi Ken

Thanks for that. When you say multi meter the wires, do you mean the ones on the connector on the car loom? I have identified the connector but the connector on the gauges has two holes in the centre upper block, above the locking clip but the car loom connector has three? If I knew what the wires on the car loom connector were I could wire that gauges in accordingly. That would be a great help.

Also, can you confirm the temperatire gauge is for the intake temperature or not. Where does the temperature feed come from on yours and where do the wires for it connect on the back of the gauge. I can only see the two connection holes that are empty shown in my picture?

Where do your voltage wires connect to?

If you can answer any of these it's appreciated. I know that you probably fitted yours a while back now, and it's a pain trying to go back over it for somebody else.
Old 26 January 2006, 07:03 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveG
If you can answer any of these it's appreciated. I know that you probably fitted yours a while back now, and it's a pain trying to go back over it for somebody else.
Mines was fitted as "standard" on the car, but I can meter out both ends, so you would have a clue where to attach it to. The Temp guage can be used anywhere, I am using it as intake temp, but having the sensor under the throttle body pipe, but when I got the car it was fitted behind the front mud flaps.

Voltage wires are off the radio connector, as are the light wires.

I'll get some diagrams and photo's done, maybe tonight.
Old 26 January 2006, 07:37 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Ok been to car. I think you have the wrong plugs in the wrong gauges

Temp has red, yellow, black, white, white with blue trace - You have it in Voltage
Voltage has Black, Yellow, Red - You have it in Temp
Boost - Has Black and Yellow - Well 1 out of 3 isn't bad

Here's what each wire does

Blacks - Earth
Reds - ignition Switched +12V
Yellows - +12V when lights are on

White & White/Blue Trace both go the the temp sensor, both wires from it are black, so I suspect that it doesn't matter which is which.

Now onto the loom.

If your radio has ISO connectors, then the:-
blacks goto black
Red goes to Red
Yellow to the orange wire on the radio loom

For the standard Impreza wiring (MY95)

Red goes to yellow/Red (Pin 10)
Black to black (Pin 11)
yellow goes to Green on the Impreza (pin 1)

Last edited by Ken Ross; 26 January 2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 27 January 2006, 11:48 AM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Wink I think I'm nearly there....

Ken

Your efforts are much appreciated. Can I trouble you for a couple more pieces of info?

Is there any chance you could send me a photo of where the turbo pipe connects? I want to make sure I get things right.

Also, could you send me a photo of your sensor and where it is mounted? What are the advantages in mounting it where you have it as opposed to where it originally was? What sort of temperatures do yourecord there?

I don't have a temperature sensor so will need to purchase one, but I am interested to see what yours looks like.

I hope that this is not asking too much?

Cheers

Steve
Old 27 January 2006, 12:21 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Default A further thought...

I guess the other question is can the sensor be connected to the intake sensor next to the air filter?

Steve
Old 27 January 2006, 12:37 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Default Additional...

I have located the vehicle loom connector to the radio and my male/female connectors on the gauge loom fit!!!!!

I powered up (after re-jigging the wires as you suggested) and the voltage gauge sprang to life. 2 of the 3 gauges lit up when I turned the lights on 9I guess a bulb must have gone in the other?)

I just need to connect my pipe for the turbo boost, if you can show me where?

And I need to source a sensor or utilise the intake sensor and I should be there!

Steve
Old 28 January 2006, 09:57 AM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Default Additional....additional

I have just engaged my brain and realised that the sensor I referred to was an air flow sensor and not a temperature sensor....doh!
Old 28 January 2006, 02:59 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

You can see where the boost pipe attaches to here.

The sensor fits between the intercooler and Throttle where I've show,
I guess that the sensor is just a thermistor.
Like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...istor&doy=28m1

Last edited by Ken Ross; 28 January 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 28 January 2006, 04:34 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Default Appreciation

Thanks Ken, your help is really appreciated. I'm just about to check to see if Maplins are open tomorrow (there's one just round the corner) and then I think I have everything I need.

Out of interest, now that I have found the radio plug on the car loom and my male/female connectors join me into the middle, what was the connector that I originally found, very similar shape, but black plastic with thin foam around it? Any ideas?

Steve