Dealers and servicing - Subaru Harlow, Essex

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2006, 09:27 AM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers and servicing - Subaru Harlow, Essex

Hi All

I've recently become an owner of an 03 WRX in silver and I've been reading this forum for a while - very good forum! Greetings to you all! I just wanted to describe my experience of a recent service at Motorsales Harlow.

I have a gearbox problem which I wanted investigated (difficult to change gear, feels like it will crunch at every change into 1, 2 and 3). They changed the gearbox oil but didn't explain to me anything about why they did this (was it leaking? burnt?) nor next steps. In fact his words were 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it' Please make your own judgement as to whether these people are any good!

So I called Quenby's in Baldock this morning and instantly got the kind of helpful and knowledgeable answers that I was looking for in the first place. Will take the car there next week. Has anyone else got experience of Quenby's?
Old 07 January 2006, 11:50 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

try these people as well, www.xtremescoobies.co.uk took my car there for the 2 years or so i owned it, cannot recomend them enough!
Old 07 January 2006, 12:06 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Thanks Fitzscoob. Will definitely keep them in mind when I am out of the warranty period.
Old 07 January 2006, 03:50 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

I've only had 1 service there since buying my STi 6 weeks ago (not from them) general servicing seemed to be fine, quite helpfull. Not had any warranty issues yet so won't comment. I find David in Sales to be excellent, not just for sales but for servicing info etc. Might be worth speaking to him in the future. I only live 5 mins away from them so is very conveinient, I would go elsewhere though if they wern't upto the job.

I did get off to a shaky start with Motorsales before buying my car (another story) but been fine since.
Old 07 January 2006, 03:57 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

ahhhh, dealerships.- (servicing) yes sir , no sir, 3 bags full sir. (warranty) a different story, they are all the same just want the custom. its a pity vehicle owners value dealer sh so much, when there are lots of quality specilaists that do the same job cheaper, better etc....
Old 07 January 2006, 05:09 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Hi Bob, Dave. Will definitely have a chat with Dave since I am REALLY *****d off now. I just checked the windscreen washer reservoir and low and behold, they charged me for windscreen additive and it's just water in there! The wife said it might be transparent additive so I dipped my finger in and tasted it! Tastes like water to me!

So, being a cynical git, I checked the air filter - that's ok and new. But for the life of me, I've been searching all around the engine and can't find the oil filter. Can anyone tell me where it is? I had a good look around but I haven't looked from underneath yet although a quick look under there earlier and I saw a protective plastic cover.

Any help please people?
Old 07 January 2006, 06:28 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Behind the cover just infront of your rad, I'm sure you can remove just this part to get to the filter.

I spoke with the service guy just after they opened and ended up turning round and walking out, back to Wilsons it is then!
Old 07 January 2006, 07:31 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mo. Better wait til morning before I try to find it!
Old 08 January 2006, 11:02 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by swtmerce
So I called Quenby's in Baldock this morning and instantly got the kind of helpful and knowledgeable answers that I was looking for in the first place. Will take the car there next week. Has anyone else got experience of Quenby's?
Yes, for servicing my car, which I didn't buy from them, at it's 2 year service. Absolutely appaling service which means I won't be going back there! Having said that, several friends use them and are perfectly happy with them so........

Bob r, I would like to take my car for it's 3 year service to a well known and respected independent, but the list seems to be, to me, quite short!! I'm in the South East and would be interested in your recommendations, if you have any?

Cheers,

Matt
Old 08 January 2006, 11:52 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
Hi Bob, Dave. Will definitely have a chat with Dave since I am REALLY *****d off now. I just checked the windscreen washer reservoir and low and behold, they charged me for windscreen additive and it's just water in there! The wife said it might be transparent additive so I dipped my finger in and tasted it! Tastes like water to me!

So, being a cynical git, I checked the air filter - that's ok and new. But for the life of me, I've been searching all around the engine and can't find the oil filter. Can anyone tell me where it is? I had a good look around but I haven't looked from underneath yet although a quick look under there earlier and I saw a protective plastic cover.

Any help please people?
funny you should mention that

my dad has a mazda 6, when it was in warranty he took it to the dealership. But to save on costs he took his own oil (made this stilly thing up about only liking halfords own stuff lol) and filled everything up prior to service, screenwash included. Guess what, even though the screnwash was absolutely overflowing (ie you couldnt get a drop in) they still charged him for it

Dealerships rip you off something rotten. Im thankfull i can only ever afford used cars, and thus dont have to worry about warrantys
Old 09 January 2006, 08:38 AM
Nich B
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobytek.co.uk/contact.asp

Sorted me out for servicing etc etc