Any GOOD scoob stories?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2005, 09:44 PM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any GOOD scoob stories?

Hello again ladies and gents,

Went to have a look at a Version 6 Type R today, and - as expected - it was a very nice car.

I haven't taken the plunge yet though, I need more information before I do.

So, put simply... there seem to be countless stories of expensive Subaru ownership - I'd like to hear of the good things to say about the brand/cars! Has your Subaru been perfectly reliable? Have you no complaint whatsoever? Has your engine NOT blown up?

I'd also appreciate some input from any of you who do your own servicing - have you had any problems? How is parts availability? What are Subarus like to work on?

As ever, I will be very grateful for all information. I'm reluctant to buy one blind, incase it ruins my bank account!
Old 03 December 2005, 11:33 PM
cbowditch
Scooby Newbie

I wouldn't recommend a scooby to someone on a low income as they aren't the cheapest car to run, but then they are not the dearest either.

I like my scooby because it can leave your average Passat TDI behind.

My scooby is one of the few cars that I haven't had to do constants repairs to it.

All work has been replacing service items like brakes etc.

The Engine won't blow up if you own it from new and follow all the guidelines. If the previous owner(s) haven't then its pot luck Just for the record, I bought mine second hand with 97K on it and the engine did need attention. But since a rebuild has been running perfectly for a year and 15K.
Old 04 December 2005, 08:14 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Subarus are reliable, they only blow up if people make them!
Old 04 December 2005, 09:23 AM
mr incredible
Scooby Regular

I've had 3 Scooby's over 8 years with the most serious problem
being a gearbox out job for an oil leak,i wouldn't keep buying
them if i had loads of trouble
Buy low mileage then luck after it religiously(warm turbo/cool turbo and good oil changes)Luck after it and it will luck after you!!!!!!
Good luck mate
Old 04 December 2005, 09:28 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

In six years of Scooby ownership ('99 turbo & '03 WRX) I've had no problems whatsoever.
Old 04 December 2005, 10:24 AM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

ONLY PROBLEM WITH MY FIRST SCOOB IS...............................it is too much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had mine 3 months now and like McDonalds...I.m Lorvinnn it! Groovalishes Poppickers
Old 04 December 2005, 12:58 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Its a japanese car - they are all reliable as long as they are properly maintained - most of the stories you hear about blown engines seem to be on dodgy imports with no known history, or when people try and tune them too much without getting it done properly.

They arent cheap to run, but nor is any performance car - you dont buy one because you want an economical sensible commuter or motorway cruiser !
Old 04 December 2005, 02:42 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Agree with all that has been said above. On my second scoob and find them to be a great car. Dont cut corners on servicing - its false economy but this is no different to any car.

On home servicing the most difficult bit of regular maint is replacing the spark plugs. They are difficult to access, but only need changed every 15K miles, its a combination of patience and finding the right combination of tools.

Clutches would seem to be a weak point in all models as is the MAF sensor in most. Replacement Clutch is about £500 at the dealers and MAF is about £80 IIRC. MAF is a 20 minute DIY job, clutch... How good are you with the spanners??

All scoobies seem prone to developing squeeks and rattles from the interrior, perhaps more so or more noticable than in other cars. Easily cured by fitting an aftermarket exhaust system!!! All scoobies have a drink problem, you will soon be on first name terms with the staff at your local filling station - dont expect more than 20 to the gallon, and you won't be disappointed.

To sum it up, they are not the fastest car on the road and are less exclusive than they were back in the day, but that said, you can have yourslef 200+ horses combined with great handling, roadholding and reliabilty for less than £10K - its a good package if you find the right car.

Besides - all the cool people are driving them!!

TT
Old 04 December 2005, 03:19 PM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

I'm finding it difficult justifying the step up from my 306 Rallye - which has been the best car I've ever owned. I just wonder - how much faster could a scoobie be? The 306 is no slouch around corners!

I'm also used to feeding my car on Optimax at around 25 mpg due to Anglesey roads! I'm very competent with a set of spanners, but beacuse I have no idea with Subarus, the thought of changing a clutch sounds very daunting!

Still trying to decide what to do at the moment... I really don't know. I wouldn't say I'm excited at the thought of scooby ownership, mainly due to the 'unknowns'. Maybe this isn't the best of starts and that I should just leave it for now? I don't know...
Old 04 December 2005, 03:50 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Go for it . You will only regret it if you never try
Old 04 December 2005, 04:39 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr incredible
Luck after it and it will luck after you!!!!!!
Luck's got nothing to do with it
Old 04 December 2005, 04:43 PM
Isoproturon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by redbullit
I'm finding it difficult justifying the step up from my 306 Rallye - which has been the best car I've ever owned. I just wonder - how much faster could a scoobie be? The 306 is no slouch around corners!
I drive an Astra 1.8 SXi as a company car, with a claimed 0-60mph of about 8.9 seconds... it seemed pretty quick, but I was after something with some real performance.

Looked at a Mondeo ST200 2.5 V6 with 200bhp, this seemed a bit quicker than the Astra but not much. But then I drove my current 1993 WRX import and it simply blew the others into the weeds !! The difference in performance was phenomenal, though I suspect mine has been modified to run more boost (still trying to find out what has been done to it, looks like a trip to the rolling road is in order).

Go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 04 December 2005, 04:53 PM
si325i
Scooby Regular

Default The Best one

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...48#post5223948
Old 04 December 2005, 04:55 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

I had a scooby wrx classic for about 17 months. didn't have a single problem with it mechanically apart from a tune up one time that cost 30 quid. they sound great..im not sure if a standard uk turbo will be a major hike up in terms of performance as i sold mine for a civic type r and i feel the civic covers ground just as fast once its rolling in comparison to my standard wrx.

what i do miss is the fab sound of the engine/exhaust and the sheer grip when you pull off. wet roads aseem daunting again with front wheel drive and a mere stab of the pedal gets the wheels scrabbling..as with a 306 ralleye you will well know about.

i would buy another scooby as it always put a smile on my face but i would have resevations as they seem to be getting more and more of a bad reputation for being a ''louts'' car by the day. if you can handle the stigma..get one ASAP.
Old 04 December 2005, 09:08 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

From memory I think the 306 Rallye knocks out about 170BHP, i would guess the quoted 0-60 figures are somewhere around 8 seconds?

a standard scoob will give you at about 50 more horses, that is a big power hike, and 0-60 is somewhere around the 6 second mark. All Turbo'd scoobs are full time 4WD, they hold on exceptionally well even in the wet.

I found with the pug GTI engines you had to rev the knackers off them to get any sort of pace from them, was the same with Honda's Type R's
The impreza offers max torque somewhere about 4000 - 4500 RPM

I think you would find it a more powerful package than your current motor - handling wise on paper it has to be better - I havent driven your car and you haven't specified any mods to it - I think in standard form you may find the scoob has the edge.

Only way to really compare is take the test run.

TT
Old 05 December 2005, 12:42 PM
New_scooby_04

I have a good scooby story:

I got mine and the first two girls I gave a lift to, asked the same question:

"Have I had a bonk in the back seat yet?"

Looking back I can think of so many witty retorts, but the best I could manage at the time (owing to shock- both of them were attached) was:

"Erm no, no I haven't"

It's hard (pun intended) to do the right thing sometimes!

I've never owned a car that has met with such approval. I particularly enjoy the sneaky glances from those who would really rather not admit to looking!

NS04
Old 05 December 2005, 06:17 PM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

Well, thanks for the input everyone. I think I probably will go for a Scoobie, if only to have the experience! Them videos posted above are brilliant too! Looks like great fun - unlike FWD in the snow .

Going to negotiate a price on the car I've viewed - if he accepts, then great! If not... the search is on!

Is/Are there any previous owners to this car: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...e/a41ac8cd.jpg on this forum? Seem to remember one was called Jason....

Many thanks!
Old 05 December 2005, 06:40 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a 23 year old student. I run a MY99 Turbo! Fully insured in my name!
I work part time two nights a week, who ever said its expensive was lying

£156 in Subaru for a service and £220 for new disc and pads all round (self fitted)

Good in my book
Old 05 December 2005, 07:38 PM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

Self servicing has saved me a fortune over the years! It'll help a lot because I may well be buying an import. A P1 was tempting due to easier dealer servicing, but I have trouble trusting dealers!

And how can a student afford a Scoobie???! And where do I sign up?!
Old 05 December 2005, 08:03 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Self servicing has saved me a fortune over the years! It'll help a lot because I may well be buying an import. A P1 was tempting due to easier dealer servicing, but I have trouble trusting dealers!

And how can a student afford a Scoobie???! And where do I sign up?!
I'm on £7.25 an hour..
Old 05 December 2005, 08:09 PM
penningtoncolin
Scooby Newbie

Hello again ladies and gents,

Went to have a look at a Version 6 Type R today, and - as expected - it was a very nice car.

I haven't taken the plunge yet though, I need more information before I do.

So, put simply... there seem to be countless stories of expensive Subaru ownership - I'd like to hear of the good things to say about the brand/cars! Has your Subaru been perfectly reliable? Have you no complaint whatsoever? Has your engine NOT blown up?

I'd also appreciate some input from any of you who do your own servicing - have you had any problems? How is parts availability? What are Subarus like to work on?

As ever, I will be very grateful for all information. I'm reluctant to buy one blind, incase it ruins my bank account!
hello had my scooby wrx (94 english model) since 96,87,000miles later only needed new battery and clucth just ready for renewinig,only down side ,they like a drink if you drive'm hard ;and you will! my old lass always makes me smile when i have a play on the back lanes.BUY one today!
Old 05 December 2005, 08:11 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by penningtoncolin
my old lass always makes me smile when i have a play on the back lanes.BUY one today!
does that sound some what dodgy to anyone else?

Does your misses like it back there?
Old 05 December 2005, 09:26 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
does that sound some what dodgy to anyone else?

Does your misses like it back there?
Just what I was thinking!