Sponsored by:

Underseal advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 09:19 AM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underseal advice

I posted this on another thread but got no answers so here goes.....

I pick up my brand new MY05 WRX tomorrow. It's a european import (from Cyprus) and as such I believe will have less underseal than a UK model. I want to make sure it's properly sorted (and am a bit of a numpty with this kind of thing) so can anyone please guide me on:

(a) how to decide if the amount of underseal is adequate;
(b) if not where to get it sorted (preferably somewhere near Walsall where I live or around Milton Keynes where I work).

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02 December 2005, 09:30 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

How long are you going to keep it? If the answer is 5 years or less dont bother.

Puts flame suit on .....
Old 02 December 2005, 09:49 AM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Probably less than 5 years but I don't want to ruin some future owners experience for the sake of £100 at the outset. They're already losing the anti-corrosion warranty.
Old 02 December 2005, 09:51 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1976

I pick up my brand new MY05 WRX tomorrow. It's a european import (from Cyprus) and as such I believe will have less underseal than a UK model. I want to make sure it's properly sorted (and am a bit of a numpty with this kind of thing) so can anyone please guide me on:

(b) if not where to get it sorted (preferably somewhere near Walsall where I live or around Milton Keynes where I work).

Thanks for any advice.
Hi Pete

Firstly, what make of underseal are you going to use? Where are you going to get it from?

Regarding where to have it applied I'm afraid I can be of no assistance.

Coverage, the amount used depends entirely on who is applying it and how well / thickness of underseal you desire and the garages ability to apply it. I would guess that anything between 3 & 5 litres would be a ball park figure as to quantities required to cover the underneath of your car.

I would imagine most reputable garages would be capable of the job but would add that it is worth while making it clear the standard you expect with an inspection of the job on completion. Time wise I would imagine that it would take a competent person approx 1 hour tops with the appropriate tools etc. Make sure they are going to mask the sills etc and sheet the rest of the car as you would not believe how this stuff travels and how it adheres to paint.

Product wise I would recommend something like Tereson or 3m which are available from most decent automotive paint distributors such as, Brown Brothers, Andrew Pages. However Waxoyl underseal is also OK but not to my knowledge in the same league as the afore mentioned products.

Ideally the garage should jet wash the underneath first to remove any road salt, grime, grease etc otherwise the product may not adhere as well as it should.

After and during application any drain holes should be checked ensuring that they allow sills etc to drain properly, If they are sealed / blocked it will lead to rust developing on the inside and possibly water ingress .

Cost wise I would imagine materials would cost approx £20 - £50 dependant on quantity and quality. labour between £30 & £60, again dependant on time allowed and labour rates.

Hoe this helps to some degree

Paul
Old 02 December 2005, 10:01 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Pete

I have e-mailed some colleagues based in MK for advice regarding a competent / reputable garage. I will PM you with details.

Paul
Old 02 December 2005, 11:33 AM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help peeps. A garage in MK would probably be best as I'm here all week and my weekends are precious!
Old 02 December 2005, 12:01 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for any advice.
Hi mate,
Im out in Cyprus and every new age Scoob out here is UK Spec, as the only major right hand drive market in Europe is the UK. Therefore they are all undersealed the same as new UK Scoobs. Plenty of my mates have bought new WRXs out here to take back to the UK. Only £9800 Tax Free!!!!!!!
But I found a minted Type-R STi V5 and brought one of those back instead!!!!
Old 02 December 2005, 12:04 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Blimey the supermarkets are making a fair old profit then even undercutting the main dealers by £4.5k-£5k!

Hope you're right about the underseal but Motorhouse have confirmed to me that the anti-corrosion warranty is invalid so there must be some concerns there!?
Old 02 December 2005, 12:14 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Blimey the supermarkets are making a fair old profit then even undercutting the main dealers by £4.5k-£5k!

Hope you're right about the underseal but Motorhouse have confirmed to me that the anti-corrosion warranty is invalid so there must be some concerns there!?
Thats the tax fee price though mate, so they havent made a big profit out of you, so don't worry!

That is weird about the warranty then! Get someone to check the car when you get it then to see how much underseal (don't know if you can check though!!!) is on it.
I also heard tha all new cars made in Japan had plenty of underseal on these days. Dont know if its true. GC8 might be able to tell you.
Old 02 December 2005, 12:16 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

****ting hell £9800 for a new WRX?? jesus how is that fair?? even adding VAT you are at £11500 + transport + legal fees <- they wanna be getting a refund on their legal fees i guess.

i'm going to lean on motorpoint even more then, i want warranty + cashola!

from the looks of mine there is little if any underseal, probably none (maltese)

i'm having it done at the barratts bodyshop (subaru Canterbury, kent) tuesday after next.

Last edited by DonnieDarko; 02 December 2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02 December 2005, 12:27 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
****ting hell £9800 for a new WRX?? jesus how is that fair?? even adding VAT you are at £11500 + transport + legal fees <- they wanna be getting a refund on their legal fees i guess.

i'm going to lean on motorpoint even more then, i want warranty + cashola!

from the looks of mine there is little if any underseal, probably none (maltese)

i'm having it done at the barratts bodyshop (subaru Canterbury, kent) tuesday after next.
Yeah but that price is a British Forces Duty free price. It still costs £750 on top to ship it over.
Old 02 December 2005, 01:17 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

British forces eh? That's the best advert for joining the army I've ever seen!
Old 02 December 2005, 03:23 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Pete

YHPM

Good luck

Paul
Old 02 December 2005, 07:19 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

British forces eh? That's the best advert for joining the army I've ever seen!
Well Im RAF, and we've got to have some perks of the job!
Old 03 December 2005, 01:41 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

hi, I can't believe that a car destined for Europe is given less protection than a car destined for UK Europe !

YES, we use a lot of salt on the roads in winter but so do other countries in Europe and I have a 12 yr anti perforation warranty directly with Subaru Malta where the climatic conditions are a lot more demanding than the UK : the small islands of Malta and Cyprus are surrounded by salt laden sea water. So I think that anyone who is being told that Subaru UK needs to do extra rust protection work is being taken for another Subaru UK ride !
Old 03 December 2005, 08:51 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Would personally consider underseal a must, 5 years is a long time for the ****e salt our councils chuck down, to start eating your wrx. And it shows the next buyer, if you sell, that you are a caring owner and that the car has been well looked after. Protection of as much resale value just seems to be common sense?
Old 03 December 2005, 08:57 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Gonna have to get my Type-R done when I get back!
Old 03 December 2005, 08:59 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
Gonna have to get my Type-R done when I get back!
Better to do before you come if your in sunnier climates, you wont believe the crap they are chuckin down
Old 03 December 2005, 10:11 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wide
Better to do before you come if your in sunnier climates, you wont believe the crap they are chuckin down
Already had it flown back. Will eventually get round to it. Have to fit my new 18" Rota GTA alloys, Apexi Power FC, Induction Kit, GGR 3 Guage Pod & Dials, Clifford Alarm & immobiliser, Andy F. Re-map, Insurance, MOT, Road Tax, and Register it first! December is going to be a VERY expensive month for me!

Plus I need to get some Aero splash guards (like rocking horse sh*t!) from somewhere, otherwise I'll have all the sh*t of the day plastered up the side of it!
Old 03 December 2005, 07:41 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I have a 05 jdm sti and asked the garage to underseal it and you can see it was dun .They have there own bodyshop on site