Sponsored by:

trouble starting in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 07:20 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble starting in the morning

the last couple of days the scoob has struggled to start first thing in the morning. when turning the key the engine seems tick over ok but doesn't fire. After the 2nd or 3rd time the engine does fire but very slowly. After a couple of seconds all is fine and as normal. Will also start perfectly for the rest of the day with no probs at all.

Any ideas what this might be? - should mention the car is a 04 sti and was on the rollers at powerstation the other day showing no sign of trouble - drives perfectly apart from this.
Old 28 November 2005, 07:54 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

mine did the same thing today i reckon its because its been so cold recently,the battery doesnt like getting too cold.
Old 28 November 2005, 08:01 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread on this the other day, my 03 PPP STi does exactly the same thing. Not sure what the fix is but seems to be common on 02 STi's onwards.
Old 28 November 2005, 08:37 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

I got the dealer to fit a nice shiney new battery under warranty and now I have no problems
Old 28 November 2005, 08:47 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

tbh i was thinking that it might be the cold getting to the battery - will call the garage tomorrow to them i want a new one!
Old 28 November 2005, 11:19 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Yeah I started a thread last week as my MY05 WRX was struggling to start but only did it when it was really cold. It hasn't done it since last week though but I am gonna take it to the dealer and mention it. I have only had the car 6wks and it was a bit a bit embarassing to here a nearly new car struggling when an F Ref festa next doors fires straight up!! I dont think it is the battery though, just had ppp fitted and have heard that can sort the problem?
Old 29 November 2005, 12:11 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

a while back there were a few postson here about the tracker not going into sleep mode and draining the battery. Could be that in conjunction with the cold weather
Old 29 November 2005, 08:30 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

My 03 WRX does this. But it appears to be random. On a cold day it might struggle to start but then on even colder days its fine. Doesent happen a lot maybe about once every 2 weeks but sometimes i swear its not going to start but it allways does but i dread the day it doesnt. My car is standard and only got serviced 4 weeks ago. Might say to subaru next time im in but not untill im up there for something else.
Old 29 November 2005, 11:47 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJL_WRX05
it was a bit a bit embarassing to here a nearly new car struggling when an F Ref festa next doors fires straight up!!
i know exactly how you felt!! Started fine this morning so probably another one of those 'scooby joys' you buy in to when you get one
Old 29 November 2005, 04:26 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

I had the exact same problem on my MY05 WRX its only 5 weeks old i went to the garage and they said they knew nothing but if it did it again the would put it on a tester. It was really cold up here in scotland the 2 times it happened but has not done it since strange. Iv no PPP but if it helps then its just one more reason eh
Old 29 November 2005, 04:53 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

PPP makes no difference m8, but in the owners manual it does say if you have bother in low temps you should slightly depress the throttle while starting.

Dipster
Old 29 November 2005, 08:03 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I get the same problem with my motor. The thing will just not fire. Very cold mornings and there is no hope, BUT found if I switch on ignition and not start It after about 30 seconds I hear a few clicks from engine department and fuel pump starts. The car then starts straight away. Think I have a lazy imobiliser. Perhaps a relay sticking in the cold.
Try it anyway just switch on ignition and wait to hear fuel pump.
Old 29 November 2005, 08:07 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

get the same prob on my 04WRX, reminds me of the Maxi 1700 I used to own
Old 29 November 2005, 09:08 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_SWRT
I had the exact same problem on my MY05 WRX its only 5 weeks old i went to the garage and they said they knew nothing but if it did it again the would put it on a tester. It was really cold up here in scotland the 2 times it happened but has not done it since strange. Iv no PPP but if it helps then its just one more reason eh
well i took mine to Powerstation on Friday for a remap thinking there might be something wrong (or it could well be paranoia). they did 2 runs and told me to either go home or talk to Ian Litchfield next door as the car was pushing out 340BHP with not even a hint of trouble - i think this really is one of those "Scooby things"
Old 29 November 2005, 11:03 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I have an MY03 JDM WRX STi and when I switch the ingnition I always wait a second to hear the fuel pump prime, this coincides with the time it takes for the dials to do their sweep. I then turn the ignition to start the car.

I have not driven my car since Sunday and it fired up fine tonight. Using the above start up it has never failed to start (he says this clutching a big lump of wood).

Don't know whether this helps.

Damian.
Old 29 November 2005, 11:31 PM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I have an MY03 JDM WRX STi and when I switch the ingnition I always wait a second to hear the fuel pump prime, this coincides with the time it takes for the dials to do their sweep. I then turn the ignition to start the car.

I have not driven my car since Sunday and it fired up fine tonight. Using the above start up it has never failed to start (he says this clutching a big lump of wood).

Don't know whether this helps.

Damian.
I agree, always let the fuel pump prime and then you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 30 November 2005, 08:58 AM
Scooby-Monster
Scooby Regular

Used to get the same problem in my 03 STi, found that by waiting for the fuel pump to prime helped a bit. That was after leaving the car undriven for few very cold days.

Now have a 05 STi PPP and can leave the car for a week with no such problems even during cold weather.
Old 30 November 2005, 12:48 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

The point about the PPP improving matters was relevant to me in particular.
The MY02 UK STI (and I believe MY03UK STI) is a very poor starter in cold weather. I had a PPP fitted to this in 2004, and the car is now a very good cold starter.
I seem to remember Mike W saying that the PPP uses the latest standard Subaru software available at the time for the starting the engine, i.e. it is not modified by Prodrive, but is more up to date than the equivalent software on the MY02.
Old 30 November 2005, 01:35 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Varboy
get the same prob on my 04WRX, reminds me of the Maxi 1700 I used to own

Only the scoob does not have the curved oblong steering wheel - Maxi was a top car for it's day
Old 30 November 2005, 02:40 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I think its mainly because they can't enrich the mixture enought to give a good cold start because of emission restrictions.
Old 30 November 2005, 02:44 PM
SCOOBYBALL
Scooby Regular

it could be ur engine temp sensor not working proper
Old 30 November 2005, 05:23 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

I always wait for the fuel pump to prime but I have still had the problem twice in my MY05 WRX. No problems at all since PPP though, even in the cold. Fires up and burbles nicely! Great excuse to get PPP i say!!