Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie: good car or bad car?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 08:54 PM
turbo2toes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Newbie: good car or bad car?

Hello,

I am a new to this scooby lark as I have had to say goodbye to my GT4 celica and have pruchased a MY97 classic turbo.

I have just bought this car and wondered what you experts thought of it.

It is a MY97 PPP dark blue 42k UK car.

The only problem is it was written off in 98, must of been mega damage! and repaired by the dealer with two owners since the smash.

Has anyone else had any similiar fate happen to their pride and joy in its life time and if so has it caused any probs for you?

Ben
ST185 GT4............sorry I may take a while!
MY97 PPP repaired old beasty
Old 03 November 2005, 09:17 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbo2toes
Hello,

I am a new to this scooby lark as I have had to say goodbye to my GT4 celica and have pruchased a MY97 classic turbo.

The only problem is it was written off in 98, must of been mega damage! and repaired by the dealer with two owners since the smash.

Has anyone else had any similiar fate happen to their pride and joy in its life time and if so has it caused any probs for you?

Ben
why did u buy a written off car man?? unless u got it for very very small money
Old 03 November 2005, 09:21 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

^^ WTF? no one knowingly buys a car thats been written off do they?
Old 03 November 2005, 09:29 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbo2toes
Hello,

Ben
Hi, welcome.
I wrote my 1st scooby off (UK MY00 Turbo), via an Icy evening & lift off oversteer!
It was repaired & put back on the road!
The damage was sill/underneath/panels with no glass broken & airbags intact, but estimated @ £14k which against the list price then of £21k was enough to ge written off. That said the cost of 4 wheels/tyres alone was £1600 at dealer prices! So it didn't/doesn't take that much to write one off really.
Strangely the dealers just issued a replacement service book & I still have the original somewhere. The reg number no longer appears on the RAC plate checker site so it may have been written off for good now (or maybe just a private plate on it).
Anyway, I guess if you got yours cheap enough (£1-2k less than you would expect?) & it was repaired properly then you should be OK, especially as you're only the 3rd owner since '98 - doesn't suggest loads of unhappy owners getting shut quickly.
For peace of mind I'd be inclined to get a proper geometry check done though
Steve
Old 04 November 2005, 04:16 PM
turbo2toes
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by STEVECHAPS
Hi, welcome.
I wrote my 1st scooby off (UK MY00 Turbo), via an Icy evening & lift off oversteer!
It was repaired & put back on the road!
The damage was sill/underneath/panels with no glass broken & airbags intact, but estimated @ £14k which against the list price then of £21k was enough to ge written off. That said the cost of 4 wheels/tyres alone was £1600 at dealer prices! So it didn't/doesn't take that much to write one off really.
Strangely the dealers just issued a replacement service book & I still have the original somewhere. The reg number no longer appears on the RAC plate checker site so it may have been written off for good now (or maybe just a private plate on it).
Anyway, I guess if you got yours cheap enough (£1-2k less than you would expect?) & it was repaired properly then you should be OK, especially as you're only the 3rd owner since '98 - doesn't suggest loads of unhappy owners getting shut quickly.
For peace of mind I'd be inclined to get a proper geometry check done though
Steve
The car was bought very cheaply £2k all in.
It has a full service history, body checks from new even though it must of been off the road for a while and I have all the MOT cerificates.

The geometry check looks like a must as I have only had the car for a week and I think it would settle the insurers mind a tad.

I thought the same when buying the car, and steered well clear after I did the HPI report. That was until I did some negotiating

I am assuming 2k is a reasonable price for the car as it is in near mint condition, except for key marks on the boot.

Thanks for your replys
Old 04 November 2005, 04:18 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is very cheap if it's been properly repaired I'm guessing that it was repaired that long ago and still going then it must have been done properly