Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Mileage Check Limited - ever heard of them..?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2005, 10:02 PM
Pootle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vehicle Mileage Check Limited - ever heard of them..?

A company called VMC - "Vehicle Mileage Check Limited" have asked for my Scooby's details.

Looks like a bona fide company - any reason why I shouldn't give them my cars mileage? Why would they be asking me if I haven't sold the car on..?
Old 13 September 2005, 11:13 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pootle
A company called VMC - "Vehicle Mileage Check Limited" have asked for my Scooby's details.

Looks like a bona fide company - any reason why I shouldn't give them my cars mileage? Why would they be asking me if I haven't sold the car on..?
hi mate, recieved one of these myself today, although it was for my previous scoob. i have filled one of these in before for a car i sold, but not for a car i still owned. give em a ring if you are unsure.

Lee
Old 13 September 2005, 11:39 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

I had one when I sold my old Scoob. Found nothing out about them, binned it and heard nothing since. I smelt poo and unless I'm mistaken I think I was right.
Old 13 September 2005, 11:41 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Phishing I guess, get more details of you and the car before they clone it / nick it!
Old 14 September 2005, 12:17 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a bona-fide company that do mileage checks on behalf of a prospective owner .... I have been asked to supply details to them over the period of 6 years.

Nowt to worry about and worth it to help someone out!

Pete
Old 14 September 2005, 07:48 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

As above, genuine company - but they shouldn't be checking your mileage if you haven't sold your car?
Old 14 September 2005, 08:37 AM
ADY 555
Scooby Regular

Unless someone has twinned your car up and trying to sell it on.
Old 14 September 2005, 10:51 AM
Pootle
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Phoned 'em. Played dumb (not difficult ). I asked if it was usual for them to ask a current owner the mileage. Without me giving them any info, they asked if I'd bought from Citroen or Subaru. When I said Subaru, they said it was probably a late check from Subaru's Warranty dept. Nowt to worry about, I thinks!
Old 14 September 2005, 11:03 AM
xkellyx
Scooby Regular

working at a dealership we have to do one for every part exhange we take in if we are going to sell it here!
Old 14 September 2005, 12:10 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

This company is onto a fantastic money making scheme, which is basically:
"Get information for free, then charge garages and others through the nose for it".

When we sold my wife's clio, we got one of these through addressed to me before the sale went through. Looks horribly official, doesn't it? So I phoned them and asked who they were, and where they got the details from. They said "the DVLA following the sale of your car". "Funny," says I, "the DVLA has the car registered in my wife's name and besides the car isn't yet sold".

Turns out after many complaints, digging, invocation of the Data Protection Act and speaking to supervisors that the garage we were selling the car to sent the info into the register in an effort to cover their ***** from bogus mileage stuff - a service for which they pay! never mind the DPA...

I told the register that they could buy the info from me. They declined. I told them to delete all data from the system on me, which they tried to decline to do until I pointed out it was wrong and that they were in breach of the DPA.

Strikes me that the company is making money out of data provided in good faith by the public by looking official and government-related, so bollocks to that for a game of soldiers. Put a brick in the freepost envelope that they include and send that back.