Sponsored by:

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2005, 09:48 AM
spdpug98
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing

I know this may horrify many of you, but i am just about to buy (i hope) an Imprezza WRX to use as a tow car for my race car. The reason is I need a new tow car and the missus wants a Scooby, so I thought use the WRX as a tow car.

Has anyone used one for towing and if so how was it. I have been warned by a few people that it is not a good idea, but i will not be towing with it every week, maybe once/twice a month.

Any help appreciated

Hopefully my first post of many
Old 02 September 2005, 10:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Had a towbar fitted to my Classic 98 UK car (with mods ), and it tows our caravan a dream. It'll STILL pull away from the lights quicker than most diesels The van weighs around 1250 kg loaded. I also transport 4 MTBs on the car roof on Scoob bars and three cheapo French rack with one decent "wheel off" Thule one.

Seriously, I don't tow far with it, I do use a stabiliserand the only problem I've had is when it has two adult lads in the back, a full heavy boot and the caravan jockey wheel sometimes grounds on undulating roads. The solution is to come off the loud pedal.

Towbars vary: the Scoob swan neck type, which is hidden when the neck is removed, is dear, but very nice. Mine is a Witter, cost about £130 fitted, (it's not an easy job), and I demount the towball when not in use. (23mm spanner iirc).

Electrics were Subaru's own, from the dealer, plug in behind the rear o/s light, mount socket on towbar, and make connections as per instructions, about 20 minutes in all.

Hope this helps.

Alcazar
Old 02 September 2005, 10:07 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you have a fixed tow bar, some MOT stations and by the book coppers can be a bit arsey over it obstructing the rear number plate when your not towing anything. So removing the ball when not in use or a complete removable bar as per above is a good idea .
Old 02 September 2005, 10:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If you have a fixed tow bar, some MOT stations and by the book coppers can be a bit arsey over it obstructing the rear number plate when your not towing anything. So removing the ball when not in use or a complete removable bar as per above is a good idea .
Agreed, although it was the deflector plate ( the bit that sticks up ABOVE the towball so that you don't clout the rear bumper with the van hitch when hitching up), on mine that obstructed the numberplate. I actually got a pull for it in France, but no fine.

I take it off now anyway as the van is in France, and so is the ball.

Alcazar
Old 02 September 2005, 10:23 AM
spdpug98
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the reply, it looks like i will be heading out to buy one then

Do you get much mpg whilst towing, i know it's not going to be great though!!!
Old 02 September 2005, 11:04 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

What weight is the race car and trailer?

The new WRX is quite heavy for a small saloon at nearly 1400kg but Subaru's maximum towing limit is only 1200kg and a maximum nose weight of 75kg.

Police are starting to tighten up on towing oufits and tow more than the manufacturers limit and you will probably be prosecuted if caught.

Have an accident with more than 1200kg on the back and you can wave goodbye to your insurance as well.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 September 2005, 11:33 AM
spdpug98
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by logiclee
What weight is the race car and trailer?

The new WRX is quite heavy for a small saloon at nearly 1400kg but Subaru's maximum towing limit is only 1200kg and a maximum nose weight of 75kg.

Police are starting to tighten up on towing oufits and tow more than the manufacturers limit and you will probably be prosecuted if caught.

Have an accident with more than 1200kg on the back and you can wave goodbye to your insurance as well.

Cheers
Lee
The car is approx 800kg and the trailer i guess about 200kg (not sure though) as it is a home made one, but is braked. What about the older Subaru's, i have just seen an import for £4000, is that the same.

Cheers
DAVE
Old 02 September 2005, 11:57 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spdpug98
The car is approx 800kg and the trailer i guess about 200kg (not sure though) as it is a home made one, but is braked. What about the older Subaru's, i have just seen an import for £4000, is that the same.

Cheers
DAVE
The Classic shaped Impreza's are a lighter car. The UK Turbo's kerbside weight was only 1235kg so the JAP WRX isn't going to be much heavier.

I'm not sure about the towing limit on the Classics.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 September 2005, 05:10 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

I used to pull a Tow A Van trailor with my Uk Turbo and my RB5. The Tow a van was no more that 600Kg's laden and it towed it no problem at all. Full consumption did suffer a little, but it was cr$p anyway !!
Old 02 September 2005, 05:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Fuel consumption? Crap on Scoobs anyway, but obviously you're not tempted to "play", so it's not THAT bad.......20-25 usually.

Alcazar
Old 02 September 2005, 09:08 PM
spdpug98
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your replies, just have to find one now
Old 02 September 2005, 10:00 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

There was a Bugeye being used as a tow car for a Caterham type racecar in the paddock at Snetterton today. It had an SIDC tax disc holder so may be worth a try asking on there. Saw a classic pulling a caravan a couple of weeks ago and my wagon has a tow bar fitted, but never used by me
Old 02 September 2005, 10:09 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

I haven't towed with my Scooby

But I did tow a car for few miles in an RS Cosworth (years ago) what was interesting was that I opened the bonnet (this was at night)

The turbocharger was glowing white hot.

Just make sure that if you use you car for towing you let the engine idle for a good few minutes after stopping to let the turbo cool down or else the turbo bearings will fry which will mean a new turbo in no time