Hi all . Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2005, 07:42 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hi all . Newbie here

Hello all,

I am now a owner of a WRX (bug eye) 01 model. A huge change from my last car which was a Punto HGT.

I was a member of a Punto forum ( Puntomk2.co.uk ) and thought now I have a Impreza I should join a Scooby Forum. I will do my best to join people at meets and so forth, but I drive like miss Daisy in fairness so don't expect me to be the latest Pete Solberg .

Can anyone be kind enough as to offer me some tips for the follow please.

What is the best way to keep fuel costs down other than not being so heavy footed.

What can I expect from a average MPG?

Is there a dump valve or re cycle valve that will make the car sound like a rally car rather than the normal blow back dump valves?

Is it true that the Police pull many young drivers (I am 24) over in a Scooby just encase it has been stolen etc? My girlfriends sister is a Police woman and said that I will need to make sure I have documents on me all the time.

And (last but not least) do many Subaru drivers acknowledge each other at all? I was told this all the time on the Punto site but no one ever waved or flashed back at me.

Any advise will be much appreciated and helpful . I look forward to chatting to you all in the Future .

Steve
London
Old 01 September 2005, 08:37 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx

What is the best way to keep fuel costs down other than not being so heavy footed.
You've just answered your own question , just the usual ways.

Watch out some will rip you to shreds on this forum and you should expect a response like 'Don't get a scooby, drive a diesel' .

Welcome mate hope you enjoy ure new car and hope uve got lots of cash for the old optimax.
Old 01 September 2005, 08:50 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate, got an '01 bugeye myself .

You might be pleasantly surprised as to how good they are on fuel if your not too heavy with your right foot, I usually get 270 ish, just toodling to work.

Plenty of dump valves available, do a search, though lots of people aren't too keen, up to the individual I guess.

Not been stopped in mine by the cops, though I'm a tad older than you .

And, yep, always wave or flash.

Happy driving, you'll always have a smile
Old 01 September 2005, 08:53 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tip Kevadair.

I guess once I get used to the power etc that I will be fine and give it a little rag here and there. lol

When you say Optimax, why does it have to be that? (Sorry for the naive question) I thought it ran on 95 octane . I haven't picked her up yet as I get it on Saturday. I know they will fill it up, but may struggle on the way home .

Can you or anyone else offer any help in the direction of Dump Valves? I want one that whistles like the WRC cars?

Cheers

Steve
Old 01 September 2005, 09:00 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tip Kevadair.

When you say Optimax, why does it have to be that? (Sorry for the naive question) I thought it ran on 95 octane . I haven't picked her up yet as I get it on Saturday. I know they will fill it up, but may struggle on the way home .

Steve
No need to say sorry, your car can run on 95 but most people will suggest super unleaded for any performance car not just a scooby.

It should give slightly better performance with the engine being smoother (You wont notice it though!!)
Old 01 September 2005, 09:15 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers for the warm welcome guys.

I almost had heart failure when I read the first reply. Thought I was going to have to find a garage for 98 octane after reading that. lol

I just can't wait to get in my car Saturday and drive it. Does the feeling ever go away?

I had a bailey's dv on my first car (R5 GTT) but as much as I like it I love the sound of the chirping sound that the WRC's make. Didn't know if there was one specific one that I would benefit from.

How do I go about meeting up with people with Scooby's without attracting a car jacker or TWOcer? A chap that lives at the end of my road has just brought a STi 2002 model. I was going to ask him once I had the car but don't know what to say?

I never went to any punto meets so I will feel like a spare todger at a wedding.

Cheers

Steve
Old 01 September 2005, 09:21 PM
g01dmember
Scooby Regular

Hello all,

I am now a owner of a WRX (bug eye) 01 model. A huge change from my last car which was a Punto HGT.

I was a member of a Punto forum ( Puntomk2.co.uk ) and thought now I have a Impreza I should join a Scooby Forum. I will do my best to join people at meets and so forth, but I drive like miss Daisy in fairness so don't expect me to be the latest Pete Solberg .

Can anyone be kind enough as to offer me some tips for the follow please.

What can I expect from a average MPG?

Is there a dump valve or re cycle valve that will make the car sound like a rally car rather than the normal blow back dump valves?

Is it true that the Police pull many young drivers (I am 24) over in a Scooby just encase it has been stolen etc? My girlfriends sister is a Police woman and said that I will need to make sure I have documents on me all the time.

And (last but not least) do many Subaru drivers acknowledge each other at all? I was told this all the time on the Punto site but no one ever waved or flashed back at me.

Any advise will be much appreciated and helpful . I look forward to chatting to you all in the Future .

Steve
London
Hi mate and welcome to the real world......

I own a 2001 WRX aswell, and the fuel costs is a little more than you`ll be use to...lol.....I get about 220 miles out of £45, but thats not all miss daisy driving, i like to have a laugh every now and again...
I also heard that having the tech 3 ecu remapping can improve fuel consumption, but is it worth paying £650 for the privaleage...
Also, I always fill up with Shell Optimax, I find it just a little more responsive..

Regarding the dump valve, I have the Blitz Super Sound cause i wanted the loudest i could get , but the whistling you here on the rally cars, i think its the air induction kits, cause the cold air induction kit i have on mine makes some bizarre whistling and sucking noises.... And to buy the Blitz dump valve there about £300, but i bought mine off a company in Hong Kong (through ebay), and got it delivered for approx £150, which was nice..

Regarding the police, i got chased once by the c.i.d in a plain silver peugoet, but i wouldnt stop cause i didnt believe it was the police, until i got a couple of miles down the road and 2 T5`s where blocking the road so i couldnt get by ... now that was scary, thought i was gonna be on police, camera, action .... But luckily got told off and let go...pheeewwww...

And yes, i always wave or aknowledge other scooby drivers....

Simon...
Old 01 September 2005, 10:21 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello mate and welcome Were about in london do you live, if you look in the events section you should find some meets in your area
Old 02 September 2005, 07:20 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Anger, have checked out the surreyscoobies.co.uk website and can say that I will see you and everyone else really soon (if I am not too nervous that is) .

Thanks Kevadair on the fuel tip. I may treat her for her first fill up to some optimax.

g01dmember , I may shop around for a dump valve and go from there. I don't think I can justify spending £300 on a dump valve. The other half will kill me.

Steve
Old 02 September 2005, 08:09 PM
Scooby Doctor
Scooby Newbie

Default Ello all, another newbie here!

New to scooby scene, but enjoying it!
look forward to getting too some meets etc soon.

maybe there is someone out there that might know what is causing my gd8 import wrx to over boost at times? it is still running with the cat, but has a stainless steel back box, also a hks dump valve.
Any ideas? as my face is a little sore from being peeled from the windscreen when is happens, lol.

Regards all.
Old 02 September 2005, 08:22 PM
jay666
Scooby Newbie

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Anger, have checked out the surreyscoobies.co.uk website and can say that I will see you and everyone else really soon (if I am not too nervous that is) .

Thanks Kevadair on the fuel tip. I may treat her for her first fill up to some optimax.

g01dmember , I may shop around for a dump valve and go from there. I don't think I can justify spending £300 on a dump valve. The other half will kill me.

Steve
mate the whistleing youre after is the wastegate chatter.
you might get a little with a decent induction kit.
but the only way you will notice it is with a induction and a front mounted intercooler.
then you will have loads of CHATTER.