Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do people react to your scoob?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 11:38 PM
gonadthegolf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do people react to your scoob?

Whats the general reaction to your car by other road users/passers by/ etc? also have many people experienced a higher level of resentment and vandalism by neds?
Old 01 September 2005, 12:00 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No HTH
Old 01 September 2005, 08:54 AM
rms555
Scooby Regular

Never had a car that attracts so much 'wrong' attention!!!!!---

mainly young kids and teenagers. Some older chavs also take interest but not like the younger lot

Tend to ignore it and not look at them, had a few shout stuff at me on occasions but nothing really threatening.
Mainly if your stuck in a traffic jam outside a pub with a chavvy beer garden (like yesterday). And pelican crossings if your first in the line----they usually have a good gorp

AND builders/landscape gardeners vans if there is a young apprentice on board---one leaned out of the window last week to look?????

This is the only thing that puts me off owning the car---too much wrong attention? (as i am quite reserved )
Old 01 September 2005, 09:12 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

erm, had to have the drivers door resprayed two weeks after owning it as it had been damaged in a car park, even though it was in the middle if two spaces.

Had a bloke chase me round tescos car park, he was on foot, pushing trolleys into the car, police called, excuse was, fell out with wife saw a blonde in a brand new high performance car and flipped !!!!

Vans pulling into the side of me on dual carriageways!!

Being blocked from overtaking etc etc

front wing damaged in another car park

wing mirror damaged in another car park

Gonna leave it in the garage now !!

I dont have problems with 'boy racers' I have problems with middle aged men in 'safe' saloons, bmws, volvos, fords etc OH and WOMEN in FIESTAS!!! Whats that all about??? Come up behind me on a dual carriageway when Im already doing 80 and they FLASH me purlease!!!

Apart from that, nice car! TBH though do have a tale to tell every time I take it out, and my partner has problems with EVERYONE !!!!
Old 01 September 2005, 09:30 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chavs keyed my immaculate MY00's bonnet 2 weeks ago.

Lots of wannabe traffic light launchers.

That is all
Old 01 September 2005, 09:54 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Well it's the darkside of the Scooby, but I guess the same reactions (although most people think my evo is a scooby).

I usually get yound kids up to mid 20's doing the staring/thumbsup/gansta sign finger flicking thing, which I find quite amusing.

Have a lot of people try and take subtle photos, like the other day I pulled up to pick my girlfriend up at her work place, and a couple of her work colleagues (male suit wearers) were taking some crafty snaps with their camera phone...then one got into a chavved up corsa (big time) and was egging for a race down the road.

Also have a lot of looks from the ladies (out the corner of their eyes)...however I doubt that this is because they like the car...more likely wondering who's making all that din.
Old 01 September 2005, 10:00 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Mostly have good reactions, people complimenting me on the car. Waiting for that dreaded day when some idiot will vandalise it though
Old 01 September 2005, 10:01 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

only had mine fer 2 weeks now, but ive already had loadsa of attention from people. only had one bunch of lads shoot off from the lights in a mondeo. i dont really do the whole traffic light grand prix...but they were all admirin so i gave it a little squeeze in 2nd.

no unwanted attention yet...touch wood...
Old 01 September 2005, 10:03 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of the older kids now seem to have a bit more respect for decent cars, since the whole Max Power and modding thing got really huge, they seem to be more clued up, and rather than being jealous come over and talk about it and admire it - and do the weird clicky finger thing and go 'look at the size of that exhaust !'

Theres lots of Asian lads in Cardiff, and all seem to be into modded luxury cars like Mercs, Lexus ec... quite often get nods from a carful of them going in the other direction.

Of course, there are always the idiots who will damage them just out of spite, but I get more dirty looks from the middle aged Mondeo brigade - these are the ones who are more jealous that someone 10 - 15 years younger drives a car their wife wont let them buy ( and has a nice house, wife under 10 stone, better job etc... ).

I reckon a lot of the petty damage done is by 30 and 40 somethings rather than they chavs you'd typically expect to be doing it.
Old 01 September 2005, 10:05 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Funny this topic has come up........

I get the opposite.......All i've had is "nice car", thumbs up, a few pics and general interest from skylines, sunny's, other scoobys (which is great when they wave back!)

I even had a rather gorgeous well racked girly shout out to me LAST NIGHT about how nice my car was and how she's like to be in it with me........

G/f wasn't impressed when I told her (being honest like we're always asked but never comes out right) and is now trying to ban me driving because of all the female interest!!!

when you've got it.....
Old 01 September 2005, 10:08 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

I reckon a lot of the petty damage done is by 30 and 40 somethings rather than they chavs you'd typically expect to be doing it.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this statement, The trouble I have is with this age group
Old 01 September 2005, 10:14 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Just to add...so far (cross fingers) I have had no bad attention in it....well I was called a pu$$y because I wouldn't wheelspin it, but that's it. All there has been is praise, and to be honest....If I overtake a dodering 40year old mondeo driver, then I can't see him in my rear view because the spoiler gets in the way, so no real way of telling if they're peeved

I seem to get some mutual admiration from *some* scooby drivers (I live very near TSL, so see a few of them )

actually...only person who tends not to like my car is my g/f who won't let me go over 3000rpm in anger. I made her drive it as the first car after she wrote off hers...now that was scary (in a slow way)
Old 01 September 2005, 10:23 AM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

LOL where the hell do you people live?

Never had any trouble whatsoever, can't see why anyone would... Admittedly I have got a wagon not a saloon, and it looks utterly standard, still got orange indicators which is how it will stay. But then, that's got two rear spoilers not one!
Old 01 September 2005, 10:25 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Yeah, whos going to bother vandalising a wagon ? people probably feel sorry for you that you've got such an ugly car already without making it worse ;0)
Old 01 September 2005, 10:30 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

In general, I find that drivers are fine with it - which suprised me. On a motorway if the see me coming up behind them, they move over.

You always get the odd tw*t but on the whole they're ok.

Lots of young'uns like to have a look and the occasional chat with people about it.
Old 01 September 2005, 11:20 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

I get a lot a mixed reactions from the young lads, from w*anker to awesome

had it damaged in a car park 4 times, 1 seriously.

dont leave it anywhere now
Old 01 September 2005, 11:21 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

My experience of the scooby in last 4 years of ownership:

No vandalism (park sensibly)
Have had parking damage on more than one occasion
No problem with other drivers
No problem with cops pulling the car over (probably only 4 times in 4 years)
Get lots of kids wanting to sit in it and have pics taken
Most of my friends like to get taken for a blast
My neighbours find it to be loud
My family finds the ride too harsh/loud
Got held up at gunpoint by car-jackers, and ever since driving it hasnt been the same
Girlfriend always comes back with a big grin after 'borrowing' it.
Old 01 September 2005, 11:27 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Yeah, whos going to bother vandalising a wagon ? people probably feel sorry for you that you've got such an ugly car already without making it worse ;0)
In a year of ownership had no bad attention in my WAGON .

Only get looks of surprise when I see off Scooby saloons.
Old 01 September 2005, 11:41 AM
sang_my02_wrx
Scooby Regular

always get the question

HOW FAST DOES IT GO?

faster than you can friggin run...
as fast as your mums fiesta on the motorway...
Old 01 September 2005, 11:50 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

aye, a couple of lads (who have no concept of bhp, torque, wieght, etc) have ask me whats its top speed is, as thats all theyre interested in...

when i say its limited to 157 (i think thats correct) they reply with, thats a bit crap my 1.6 corsa will do 140.... sigh
Old 01 September 2005, 11:56 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

'my 1.6 Corsa will do 140' - yeah, falling off a cliff ! ( with every bolt in the car shaking itself loose ).

The one question I always get from the under 10 year olds is 'HAS IT GOT NOS?'

[even bigger sigh]
Old 01 September 2005, 12:00 PM
a1oku
Scooby Regular

loads of interest always positive.kids shout nice car mate,people photo it with their camera phones.loads of people comment on how nice the colour is etc etc.other side of the coin as already mentioned,middle aged and not quite so middle aged suits,driving company vectre tryin it on or blokes in seats and audis try and race.
Old 01 September 2005, 12:07 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Old 01 September 2005, 12:14 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

I rest my case, just been out in the scooby, some old git walks behind me whilst Im reversing and so he slaps boot, my partner been in car it would have been him that got the slap!! And YES I was reversing first!!

Then a 50 yr old with grey hair in a ford takes a short cut thru, that you can take in the village and comes flying out in front of me narrowly missing me and a car coming the other way... neddless to say got hand gestures and horn from BOTH cars, see its not just me being sensitive!!

Ive only been on a 5 mile round trip!!
Old 01 September 2005, 12:20 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

absolutely no attention in my my04 wrx, when i had my uk300 had the usual 'has it got nos?' questions
Old 01 September 2005, 12:23 PM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

never had any bad feelings towards me in the scoobies (since 1995). Only thumbs up from kids. Loads of people trying to race from the lights, but i generally just laugh and let them get on with it, unless its a worthy challenge that is.

Never had one vandalised, and only been pulled by the police once, in 1997 and that was only because he wanted to have a 'closer look' at it.

I normally go for the lower spoilers too, but this STi8's table top spoiler is a bit daft, and I have had one or 2 comments, for the first time ever... If i liked the normal wrx spoiler I would put one on, but I don't like that one either.
Old 01 September 2005, 12:48 PM
Jamjar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sang_my02_wrx
always get the question

HOW FAST DOES IT GO?

faster than you can friggin run...
as fast as your mums fiesta on the motorway...
I get that too, that and how much did it cost, which my answers usually are:

1.its done 70mph

2.sod off, none of you business
Old 01 September 2005, 01:00 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Good topic

Yeah got all of the above and more.
Ranging from thumbs up, stares, shouts etc to people green light racing, kids racing you on their push bikes to trying to nick your locking wheel nuts !!
Mums tut tutting on the noise, curious nosey looks in car parks, but still havent had any guys leap out in front of me like the Vauxhall advert yet
(but bet no Vauxhall drivers have either )
Old 01 September 2005, 01:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by BOB'5
My experience of the scooby in last 4 years of ownership:

No vandalism (park sensibly)
Have had parking damage on more than one occasion
No problem with other drivers
No problem with cops pulling the car over (probably only 4 times in 4 years)
Get lots of kids wanting to sit in it and have pics taken
Most of my friends like to get taken for a blast
My neighbours find it to be loud
My family finds the ride too harsh/loud
Got held up at gunpoint by car-jackers, and ever since driving it hasnt been the same
Girlfriend always comes back with a big grin after 'borrowing' it.
Yep, been fortunate on the vandalism front. I am careful where I park though and since its not a workhorse car, it gets less exposure to would be scumbags than some Scoobies that are used for commuting etc...

Ditto for parking damage...See above

Other drivers are a mixed bag, some are respectful and considerate, others just can't bare to be behind you, irrespective of what they're driving (7 seater, Rover Metro LOL) Traffic light heros stand out, but I don't think that's the majority reaction at all. I just let em get on with it TBH.

Been followed for a short distance several times by the police, but not been pulled in over a year of ownership (I do drive like a granny in built up areas though!) so fair do I think!

Many kids point and exclaim "it's a scooby" and "cool" the 30-40 age group tend to gesticulate....I think they're offering me a cocktail or something!

Friends are all very fond of it

Ditto for family and commented on how they couldn't get over how something as quick could also be so useable and practical!

Neighbours said it sounded "fruity"!

Had one dodgy moment when I was tailed by a clapped out Chav-a-leer full of blokes, didn't want to find out what their intentions were so I deliberately drove to a national speed limit road, foot down in third....bye, bye!

Last GF hated it cause of the attention I got in it, esp female attention (reflection on the car not me, I'd guess) current GF loves it. "Horny" was the word I think she used to describe it!

Insurance and running costs................well, lets not go there!!!!

NS04
Old 01 September 2005, 01:15 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I do tend to get lots of stares.
Even get the local kids over hear running out infront of me when Im stopped at red lights all the time. They do the count down wave with their hands and fingers like they do at the start of the WRC stages, trying to get me to race away from the lights.

I'm always getting pics taken whenever I stop at Petrol Stations.
And if I leave it anywhere, I come back to find it surrounded by tourists from Mainland Europe who seem bemused that its a two door Scoob and ask me loads of questions. When they me hear my Scottish accent they sometimes ask if I'm Colin McRae!!!!!! (I look nothing like him and I'm way younger!)

Quick Reply: How do people react to your scoob?