Sponsored by:

Trackers

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 08:20 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackers

Does anyone know the typical location of a tracker unit on a scoob. I'm trying to work out what is interferring with my sat nav system.

Has anyone else had problems with this?
Old 31 August 2005, 09:02 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Does anyone know the typical location of a tracker unit on a scoob. I'm trying to work out what is interferring with my sat nav system.

I may be wrong but you a coming across as a possbile twocker
Old 31 August 2005, 09:07 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get a road atlas of the UK for £2.99 in most good book shops, although I occasionally experience interference from the wife
Old 31 August 2005, 09:11 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I may be wrong but you a coming across as a possbile twocker
NO I'M NOT!

I've having huge problems recieving a GPS signal in or around my car, the system is fine until I turn on the ignition, then the signal disappears and doesn't return until I switch the ignition off again.
This is a problem that NOBODY seems to no the answer to. The only thing that I can think of is the unknown to me (I bought the car second hand from a dealer 9 months ago), is that it has a tracker which is emitting a signal which blocks gps reception.

Hope this makes sense.

I understand why this may have seemed like a bit of a dodgy question......no hard feelings!
Old 31 August 2005, 09:11 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Martin2005....do you really expect a reply to your post??
Old 31 August 2005, 09:14 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Molbyman
Martin2005....do you really expect a reply to your post??
I suppose not, but I have a genuine problem here thats doing my bloody head in!
Old 31 August 2005, 09:14 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Take it to your dealer and ask them to look. There is more than 1 location on the car that they are fitted. I'm not sure how many positions but more than 1 anyway
Old 31 August 2005, 09:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id advise you to speak to the tracker operator and see if there are any known issues. Most tracking systems are GPS based, so they will no more interfere with the GPS reception than the telephone in your pocket.
Old 31 August 2005, 09:21 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve777
Take it to your dealer and ask them to look. There is more than 1 location on the car that they are fitted. I'm not sure how many positions but more than 1 anyway
Will do, and sorry to all, I realise it was probably an inapproriate question, but asked I can assure in good faith
Old 31 August 2005, 09:36 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

NO I'M NOT!

I've having huge problems recieving a GPS signal in or around my car, the system is fine until I turn on the ignition, then the signal disappears and doesn't return until I switch the ignition off again.
This is a problem that NOBODY seems to no the answer to. The only thing that I can think of is the unknown to me (I bought the car second hand from a dealer 9 months ago), is that it has a tracker which is emitting a signal which blocks gps reception.

Hope this makes sense.

I understand why this may have seemed like a bit of a dodgy question......no hard feelings!
I thought Trackers worked regardless of the ignition state. Some even have battery backup in case the thieves disconnect the battery.

As GC8 says, most trackers are GPS based with a GSM link back to the tracking company, so it's unlikey to be interference from the Tracker.

Call the Tracker company and ask em' where the car is currently parked to see if it's working.
Old 31 August 2005, 09:39 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
I thought Trackers worked regardless of the ignition state. Some even have battery backup in case the thieves disconnect the battery.

As GC8 says, most trackers are GPS based with a GSM link back to the tracking company, so it's unlikey to be interference from the Tracker.

Call the Tracker company and ask em' where the car is currently parked to see if it's working.
Well thats the whole point really, I dont know if my car has a tracker or not, which is why asked in the first place
Old 31 August 2005, 09:52 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Well thats the whole point really, I dont know if my car has a tracker or not, which is why asked in the first place
Chances are you don't have one, if you had no tracker documentation handed over with the car. I had to fax my tracker certificate to my insurance company when I took out a policy.
Old 31 August 2005, 09:55 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
Chances are you don't have one, if you had no tracker documentation handed over with the car. I had to fax my tracker certificate to my insurance company when I took out a policy.
OK cheers
Old 31 August 2005, 11:11 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have a tracker and use a pocket pc for my sat nav with no problems. The two or more devices cannot intefere with each others GPS signal. A Tracker does not emit any kind of 'blocking' signal to stop your sat-nav from working. And think of it this way, the Tracker constantly receives GPS whether your car's ignition is on or off. After all they can be used as fleet management tools too as well as for just stolen cars.
As for finding out if you have a tracker fitted, your car will be listed in their database, so a call to them should sort that out. When i had mine fitted, you had to pay to have a signal test done as it was classed as a sort of 'service' if you like where you got your Tracker back up battery checked also. And to say how they are buried within the car somewhere, i cant see it being easy to get to. They aint just gonna be under a seat or owt.

Last edited by MaDaSS; 31 August 2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 31 August 2005, 11:54 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Many trackers work via GPS, but some - such as the original tracker - work via radio. In each case they do transmit some info as well as receive, otherwise it wouldn't be much use - they need the police/tracker HQ etc to know where the car is, not just the tracker unit itself! However, the signals shouldn't interfere with sat-nav.

The slight problem with calling tracker themselves is that it doesn't rule out that you have a trackstar or one of any other number of different brands fitted.

As to where they are, there are a large number of possible locations, depending on the fitter, you can't guarantee where any given thing is fitted just by make and model. I know where (undisclosed brand(s) of tracking device(s)) is/are fitted in my car, because I stumbled across them/it whilst doing some (undisclosed type of work somewhere in the car). However, that doesn't mean that someone else will have the same thing(s) in the same place(s).

As for interference when you turn the engine on, sounds more likely to be a supression problem, possibly in the power supply to the sat-nav, rather than a tracker issue. Where does the sat-nav draw power from, and have you got any power supply supression on it?
Old 01 September 2005, 03:09 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Tracker Retrieves dont poll; they stand-by waiting for a triggering signal.

Simon
Old 01 September 2005, 03:39 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a tracker and satnav, and both my devices work fine
Old 01 September 2005, 07:45 AM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

OK cheers
Martin,

If the problem appears once the ignition is switched on maybe something has gone electronically on the alternator or ignition circuit. I remember we use to put capacitors(?) on old mini circuits to suppress interference on radios.

John
Old 01 September 2005, 02:36 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Not sure what type of satnav system you are using but shouldn't be any problem if using an ipaq and plug in gps receiver. Suggest you try find your gps receiver and move it to a different location in the car that might show up any interference. Only other probelm that tends to upset gps reception is athermic windscreens but new scoobies don't have these and I don't think the old ones did either.

NO I'M NOT!

Hope this makes sense.