Sponsored by:

Helmet recommendation for track day

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2005, 07:24 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helmet recommendation for track day

I've just booked my 1st ever proper track session (Rallyday @ Castle Combe), and so I need to get myself a helmet. Trouble is, I've no idea what sort of range is available and what the pros & cons are.

First and foremost, I guess it needs to have the right approvals so I'm actually allowed out on the track in the first place. Is there a standard for these things? I couldn't find a specific requirement on the Rallyday site.

I know I need to find one that fits properly, and the easiest place to do that locally would be a motorbike shop. Is a bike helmet appropriate?

Failing that, where should I go and what should I expect to pay? It's only for very occasional use, but then again, I only have one head.

TIA

Andy
Old 10 July 2005, 07:41 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

First and foremost, I guess it needs to have the right approvals so I'm actually allowed out on the track in the first place.
No-one has ever checked my crash helmet before I've been out on track.

I got mine from a motorbike shop and I think I paid about £90 for it, but prices vary, all are BS approved... so the choice is yours what you go for.
Old 10 July 2005, 09:08 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

As a general rule if you can buy a crash helmet that is legal for use on the road then it is legal to go round a track in. It doesn't matter whether it's a bike helmet or not.
Old 10 July 2005, 09:31 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I've just booked my 1st ever proper track session (Rallyday @ Castle Combe), and so I need to get myself a helmet. Trouble is, I've no idea what sort of range is available and what the pros & cons are.

First and foremost, I guess it needs to have the right approvals so I'm actually allowed out on the track in the first place. Is there a standard for these things? I couldn't find a specific requirement on the Rallyday site.

I know I need to find one that fits properly, and the easiest place to do that locally would be a motorbike shop. Is a bike helmet appropriate?

Failing that, where should I go and what should I expect to pay? It's only for very occasional use, but then again, I only have one head.

TIA

Andy
I was in the same boat when i booked my track session at Japfest, in the end i went for a Sparco Club from demon tweeks for £68 delivered.
Old 10 July 2005, 10:20 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Andy

I've got the same one too - Sparco Club

Link here

Cheers

Terry
Old 10 July 2005, 11:04 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Any helmet will do however anything ACU gold badged will see you right. You can pick them up for around £120. Will last you forever, providing you dont have a crash
Old 10 July 2005, 11:19 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

While all of the above may be true for track days, most modern bike helmets now have an EU approval code that, whilst more stringently tested than a BS tested helmet, does not conform to RAC MSA regs, and if any trackday regs have to conform to these standards, you would have wasted your money. Like others have posted, find yourself a well fitting helmet with a BS standard or Snell approval from the likes of Demon Tweeks, Grand Prix Racewear or such like. I only now this information because I race Karts, so it is pretty much gospel.
Old 10 July 2005, 11:35 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

any Arai or Shoei will do ..........be warned not cheap !
Old 11 July 2005, 02:27 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I was in the same boat last year andy, and ended up getting the excellent sparco as mentioned above. I've used it 3 times now, all at curborough for our bi-annual trackday

Does what it says on the tin, and hasn't been called into service to save my bonce yet!
chris.
Old 11 July 2005, 02:52 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

For longevity you need a fibreglass helmet rather than a thermoplastic one; thisll almost certainly have a BS 'Type A' approval rather than the lesser 'Type B' approval. Japanese helmets are the best without a doubt, I prefer Arai but if Shoei's shape suits you then theyre excellent lids also. Arai and Shoei also make a number of different shell sizes, other manufacturers make one large shell and pad it; the result is that Arai & Shoei fit better and offer better protection..... If you dont have a rigid seat and multi-point mounting belts you should ALWAYS buy a full face helmet (wear it without the visor if you must); Cheap TP 'motorsport' open face helmets may save you from a fracuted skull but only a full face lid will protect you from severe facial injuries.

Simon
Old 11 July 2005, 08:25 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lots of good advice there, thanks guys.

Any suggestions on suppliers? I want one that's going to fit, so I'm not keen on mail order. Somewhere around Hants/Bucks/Surrey would be great.
Old 11 July 2005, 08:30 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Any suggestions on suppliers? I want one that's going to fit, so I'm not keen on mail order. Somewhere around Hants/Bucks/Surrey would be great.
If you was to order from Demon tweeks and the helmet does not fit right they do a free collection & re-delivery of a different sized helmet
Old 11 July 2005, 09:11 AM
ChrisB

I've got a Shoei - about the only thing that would fit my bucket sized head. It was reduced to £99 when I bought it as it was last year's colour... plain white
Old 11 July 2005, 09:41 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Try you local Hein Gericke shop - they stock HJC helmets which are ACU gold approved and are generally available around £120 - £150

Good thing about them is they are nice and light, and comfortable, and you can try them on in the shop to test the fit first.

Cheaper helmets tend to be a lot heavier, and you will notice the fatigue on your neck after driving on a track.
Old 11 July 2005, 11:01 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

With Arai and Shoei you just need to measure your head and order the appropriate size.... Itll be a little firm for a while before it settles.

Simon
Old 11 July 2005, 02:39 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

measure your head, check this size chart, order the right one from demontweeks

chris.