Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AArrrrggh Bl**dy Road Noise !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2005, 09:15 PM
Roblad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AArrrrggh Bl**dy Road Noise !!!!!

ARRRrrggh (as above)

car is driving me mad!! making a loud road noise (rear) - possible causes;

Wheel Bearing (but is constant and doesn't change when loading/unloading varying sides of car (i.e swerving).

Diff/Shafts - unlikely

Tyres - most likely cause. Like a complete dohnut went and bought some Firestones (not even directional tread) but they were still 100quid each!!

might book her in to local dealer so that anything mechanical can be ruled out.

Any ideas?? if it is the tyres then its back to the OE Bridgestones me thinks.

Roblad.
Old 19 May 2005, 09:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have just changed the tyres, then yes TYRES!!

Can tyres get noisy over time??

Have your MAF Sensor checked out too, it responsible for EVERYTHING!!

Pete
Old 19 May 2005, 09:44 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

The difference in road noise between various makes of tyre can be considerable. You don't say what car you have or what size wheel/tyre?
Both my son and myself have identical spec. 03 STis except he has Pirelli P-zero Nero on 7.5x18 OZ and I have Toyo on 8x18 PFF7 and my car has noticably louder generated road noise, I have even spoken to Toyo about it, but despite being very helpful, no positive outcome. Tread pattern, sidewall stiffness, wheel mass etc. all play a part.
JohnD

PS It's nothing to do with the MAF sensor as Pete says - it's the amount of oil you put in the filter before screwing it on!

Last edited by JohnD; 19 May 2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 19 May 2005, 09:52 PM
Roblad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
If you have just changed the tyres, then yes TYRES!!

Can tyres get noisy over time??

Have your MAF Sensor checked out too, it responsible for EVERYTHING!!

Pete
I could kick myself, as when I bought the car the dealer had put new firestones on the front. They seemed OK, so when I had to replace the rear worn out Potenza's I decided to match the make on the front. BIG MISTAKE!!

Oh well I will just have to bite the bullet and buy some decent tyres - or turn the radio up

The car itself is nigh on faultless. But these small problems bug the hell out of me until they are sorted. Just how I am I suppose.

Of course you are right I may just have overlooked the MAF
Old 19 May 2005, 09:58 PM
Roblad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
The difference in road noise between various makes of tyre can be considerable. You don't say what car you have or what size wheel/tyre?
Both my son and myself have identical spec. 03 STis except he has Pirelli P-zero Nero on 7.5x18 OZ and I have Toyo on 8x18 PFF7 and my car has noticably louder generated road noise, I have even spoken to Toyo about it, but despite being very helpful, no positive outcome. Tread pattern, sidewall stiffness, wheel mass etc. all play a part.
JohnD

PS It's nothing to do with the MAF sensor as Pete says - it's the amount of oil you put in the filter before screwing it on!
JohnD

They are 205/50 ZR16s on a Boggo MY00 Turbo.

I have had 2 other classics courtesy of my company (both on pukka tyres seen as the company was paying) Now I am a private owner I have found that you certainly only get what you pay for.

Of course that tank of "normal" unleaded instead of Optiwallet fuel could be a contributory factor
Old 19 May 2005, 10:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Ask the dealer you bought off whether they carried out the **** Oil Change (its been patented by ScoobyNet recently) - if they haven't then I'm afraid the tyre noise will be the least of your worries!!

The Big End Bearing Number 3 will now be running without oil, as the oil pick-up pipe will have been starved of oil for 10 milliseconds

You DO realise that the oil drains off all the bearing surfaces within a few seconds of stopping the engine don't you?? It's DISASTROUS to start and run the car following a night of standing without first disconnecting the cam sensor ..... taking the plugs out should be considered the minimum ideally!!

Pete
Old 20 May 2005, 06:47 AM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

I think that it has now been proved beyond any reasonable doubt that the noise must be caused by using unbranded semi-synthetic oil
Old 20 May 2005, 09:29 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

The road noise will be caused by driving the car.
If you don't drive the car you will not get the noise, the MAF won't break and No3 diddly bob won't starve of oil.
Put it in the garage, declare SORN and you will be able to afford a round the world cruise in 1.2 months.
HTH
Old 20 May 2005, 11:13 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sounds like tyre noise...you should try a set of Avons.....I'm sure the big knobbly off-road BF-Goodrich cross ply tyres on my landy made less noise.

Mechanical things to check for in addition to the wheel bearings: Handbrake shoes can sometimes lightly catch, try lightly pulling the handbrake on the freeplay (before it bites) and see if there is any difference in noise.

Also check the propshaft support bearing, sometimes they can run dry and make a bit of a racket.