ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Almost A New Scooby Owner

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2005, 08:40 PM
SneakySmokey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost A New Scooby Owner

Hi Guys, just joined the forum and am 99.9% sure im going to order a MY05 WRX in WR Blue with my dealer tomorrow.Have wanted one for years but never did. buy.Couple of questions if you guys could help, i test drove a PPP car, but even though im 34 with 14 years no claims etc insurance still stupid at over £900 so going to buy the car as standard, although dealer says he will still fit Prodrive Exhaust which shouldnt effect insurance. Will i notice much of a difference between Prodrive and standard ?. Next question running costs, i know you dont buy a car like this and worry about MPG but i do high miles and am told about 27mpg, realistic ?. And lastly, very dull question but does matter, resale values ?, after 3 years good or bad ?. Test drove a Golf gti after Impreza, car nowhere near as good as a scooby but the dealer showed me some very scary depreciation figures, how accurate i dont know. Really want to get the car and probably will anyway but anything you guys can hekp with is apreciated !.

Cheers
Old 13 May 2005, 09:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

i have also sat throught the VW sales pitch with their list of figures, boring load of rubbish as well.

buy the car you want, the fuel costs are quite high but it all depends how heavy your right foot is.

P.S try Virgin for your insurance. i pay £900 for my WRX and im 25 with nasty nasty IN10 Points (7)
Old 13 May 2005, 10:00 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

What, you been to court for no insurance?
Originally Posted by cookstar
i have also sat throught the VW sales pitch with their list of figures, boring load of rubbish as well.

buy the car you want, the fuel costs are quite high but it all depends how heavy your right foot is.

P.S try Virgin for your insurance. i pay £900 for my WRX and im 25 with nasty nasty IN10 Points (7)
Old 13 May 2005, 10:01 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Had my WRX for 3 weeks now and..............

The Prodrive exhausts sounds FANTASTIC and makes it sound like it looks!!!

Insurance wise Direct Line cover me & the missus for £550 a year. I'm 36, the wife has only been driving 2 years, 4 years Protected No Claims, with an accident last year that my wife had (her fault). The only other quote that got near was Elephant. I did have to have a Tracker installed though.

We are high mileage users and so were abit concerned about running costs BUT we have been getting 300 miles to a tank, with motorway driving a a few hard blasts thrown in. Even driving really hard we got 225 miles to a tank. Servicing is cheaper than my Mazda 6 as well.

After driving a Mazda 6 TDI estate for 20K miles last year with 45mpg+, I love the WRX, it is superb to drive and own and was well worth sacrificing a few mpg in economy.
After driving m mates STI a few times, I chose the WRX as its alot less 'raw' and more easier/more suitable for everyday high mileage driving.
Wonder if I'll ever stop grinning!?!?!!?
Old 13 May 2005, 10:02 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Buy it and you won't look back!

The Prodrive exhaust may effect the insurance, you're best to check first.

If you're not having the PPP fitted make sure you get a discount. The retail price of the pack is £1600 and not having one could hit the resale values a bit in a few years if all the other cars of the same age have one fitted.

All new cars lose a lot of money. I bought a new WRX back in September 2002 for about £21000 and px'd it in July 2004 for a WR1 and got £13000 for it.

It looks as though there will be a face lifted model out in 2006, so if you have to have the latest you may be best to wait.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:07 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

First off - insurance: unless you have a string of convictions or live in a crime ridden area, £900 sounds steep. I've been quoted £850 by A-Plan for a Type 25 (heavily modified import scooby) at age 38 with 2 SP30's and full business use for 15,000 miles!
Second - the WRX is a nice car but the STI is a big step up, particularly with the free PPP. If you can't quite stretch to a new one a second hand 2003 STi shouldn't be more than £19k. In either case, there's quite a difference between PPP and std. (don't forget the JDM option). The depreciation can work in your favour.
Finally - 27mpg, not a hope on average, maybe on a quiet motorway run. Bank on 20-22mpg on average if you don't have too heavy a right foot.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:48 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

My insurance is about £450 with Privelege with Tracker fitted to my WRX03, slightly older than you and full NCB too. £900 does seem rather steep.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As others have said, PPP is free at the mo', so if you go without bargain hard on the 1600 difference. Some dealers are still offering the free servicing as well, although I don't know which. Well worth asking on here, as it will save you another 1600-ish over the next 3 years.

I have an 03 WRX with PPP, and I am insured with Privilege for around 680. I live in Leeds, so have a loaded postcode (level 6) but with Cat1, Tracker and kept on drive I don't feel hard done to for what the car can do.

If you decide not to get PPP, consider the Prodrive springs as any options you get fitted new you don't pay for fitting, so you may as well specifiy the ones which are costly to fit and get the easy stuff to put on yourself later.

Oh, and welcome to SNet
Old 13 May 2005, 11:54 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

I`ve recently bought a MY05 WRX, trading up from a CTR, and I think it`s the dogs bollo*ks.

My Insurance came in at £600, with no tracker needed, and that was with A-Plan.

The PPP wasn`t available when I bought mine (not for free anyway), but I did get the free servicing.

My MPG, for mixed driving, is usually coming in around 24, but I don`t do much Motorway in there, so I`m sure it`s better on the M/ways.

Get it bought mate, you`ll love it, the grunt`s there all the time, overtaking is effortless, and this, coupled with the road holding and handling, provides one of the best machines on the road today.

With depreciation, you`ve got to bear in mind that everything you buy is the same. One of the guys on the CTR forum has just been told his 1 year old 330 BMW is now only worth 20k of the 36k he paid for it last year. Nuff said.

Last edited by dexter; 14 May 2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 14 May 2005, 12:04 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

If for some reason you can't negotiate a discount for not having the ppp make sure you get it and ask the dealer to keep the standard bits on and give the kit to you unused..
You can then sell the PPP bits on here !
Old 14 May 2005, 09:58 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SneakySmokey
Hi Guys, just joined the forum and am 99.9% sure im going to order a MY05 WRX in WR Blue with my dealer tomorrow.Have wanted one for years but never did. buy.Couple of questions if you guys could help, i test drove a PPP car, but even though im 34 with 14 years no claims etc insurance still stupid at over £900 so going to buy the car as standard, although dealer says he will still fit Prodrive Exhaust which shouldnt effect insurance. Will i notice much of a difference between Prodrive and standard ?. Next question running costs, i know you dont buy a car like this and worry about MPG but i do high miles and am told about 27mpg, realistic ?. And lastly, very dull question but does matter, resale values ?, after 3 years good or bad ?. Test drove a Golf gti after Impreza, car nowhere near as good as a scooby but the dealer showed me some very scary depreciation figures, how accurate i dont know. Really want to get the car and probably will anyway but anything you guys can hekp with is apreciated !.

Cheers
As above I would advise PPP especially as it's free at the mo. That quote is not very competitive, for someone of your age with your NCB, shop around a bit! Look in the insurance forum for good companies

Whatever you do , drive a std WRX before buying though, as the PPP does make a significant difference and having driven it, you might only wish you'd ordered when the buy the std car.

Best wishes,

NS04
Old 14 May 2005, 03:00 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Default what about an STI?

You could have my 04 54 september - 7,000 miles with prodrive rearbox
Black for about £20K
at £25K new September last year
depreciation can be an issue!
Old 14 May 2005, 03:09 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

yes richie rich, ive been to court for no insurance.

Was 19 at the time brought a car on impulse, drove it straight home. got stopped at one of those tax check stops.

Got 7 nasty points.

The insurance companies see an IN10 as "one step down" to a drink driving ban, which p!$$es me right off, cos as bad as i am this is a activity which i have never ever taken part in.

That is why i pay just over £900 (with an excess of £1250)

But hey