Sponsored by:

SECS

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2005, 10:06 AM
Fluffmeister
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SECS

Anyone got a SECS unit fitted to their scoob? if so what do you think of it?

I did a search first before posing the question and got a million hits on o-62 in x secs so gave up

Cheers

Fluff'
Old 29 March 2005, 10:37 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got one its very good. Also useful for fault diagnosis.

Peter
Old 29 March 2005, 12:41 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Agreed with Peter,

I like mine. It's good to get a 'handle' on exactly what is going on under the bonnet. You can learn a lot by watching what the ECU is recording.
Fault Code reading and ECU reset is a big bonus.

Martin
Old 29 March 2005, 03:26 PM
rustybin
Scooby Regular

My MY99 Wagon came with one when I bought it. Have to say it is good to have access to a bit more info than the standard dash provides. So far I have only three concerns. 1) I have to remember not to leave it on the Peak Speed screen as I would imagine the Boys in Blue would not approve of the current reading. 2) I have missed traffic lights changing to green a couple of times due to being too busy fiddling. 3) I didn't get a manual with it so am a bit confused as to what some of the readings are. Nice bit of kit though.

(If anyone can help with 3 it would be very much appreciated.)
Old 29 March 2005, 03:30 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rustybin
(If anyone can help with 3 it would be very much appreciated.)
Is this what you are after? http://www.psi3.co.uk/downloads/usermanual.pdf
Old 29 March 2005, 06:47 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only briefly used one .......IMHO on a MY99 the KC did nothing which means it's either very well mapped or is doesn't work in this MY. The ignition timing jumped around all over the place and was of little use unless you can log it.

The Boost was unclear and required you to take you eye of the road too much when comparing to a standard boost gauge.
Old 29 March 2005, 08:52 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

IMHO it is good on the new age Scoobs but not worth getting on classic Scoobs since with these some of the more important functions do not work, e.g. lambda ratio, knock correction. You will need to buy extra sensors if you wish to display oil pressure and oil temp.

It is alot cheaper than buying the equivalent gauges. The display on mine can be hard to read in bright sunlight or when the ambient temp is low. However, I believe there is a better diplay available for it now. The max revs, speed and boost are useful features for keeping an eye on what the garage does with the car during a service test drive. Also the speed readout is accurate compared to speedometer which is useful when going through roadworks on motorways etc.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Old 29 March 2005, 09:28 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I got mine on my 2003 JDM STi and was going to fit the other sensors at a later date. I was shocked to see when the sensors were released that they were £200 each!!!! So I have ended up fitting SPA gauges as it was cheaper.

I have the one with the LCD screen and have found it fades in cold weather??? I wish the VFD display was available at the time I got mine.

Does anyone know if the LCD facia can be simply swopped for the VFD facia?

I have never had to use the fault code finder as I have not had any (might be tempting fate saying that.

Overall a good piece of kit.
HTH.

Damian.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:00 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!

The Knock correction display does work on the classics, you just won't read anything until something is wrong. However on the new age ecu's it does run a more active knock correction scheme so you will see some numbers coming up on this display parameter.

The LCD displays are alot easier to read now, as they use a negative LCD wich is alot more resistant to temp change and sunlight issues, also the VFD unit is available.

Spen555 i don't know where you got £200 each for the external sensors, when i bought mine the oil temp and pressure sensors plus any software update needed came to £200 all in.

I would agree though that an alnalogue boost guage is much easier to read than the secs guage, but the peak boost memory facility is quite useful though.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:04 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

£200 is a hell of lot of money for 2 sensors. IMHO. Fair enough there is a software update but I could not bring myself to spend that much.

I saw the costs on Scoobyworld's website I think from memory.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:39 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!

It does seem steep, it took me a long while to find the cash to do it, but i feel the information is very useful and if it helps me prevent a expensive engine rebuild then i think it's worthwhile doing.

Plus i need something to tinker with otherwise i would be bored

Dan.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:54 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After much tinkering with my Bugeye SECS I settled for Water Temp, Oil Temp, Intake temps and AFR as these are pretty easy to read with a digital guage. Looking at the recorded boost is also a bonus but the BIG DEAL is the ability to read fault codes...

Over the 2 years or so of ownership my Scooby must have thrown up about 10 CEL's if I didn't have the SECS to tell me the codes then I would have been a nervous wreck !!

Shaun

PS many thanks to Stan Palmers here in Carlilse who double checked the CEL's and cleared them free of charge every time........
Old 29 March 2005, 11:25 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
After much tinkering with my Bugeye SECS I settled for Water Temp, Oil Temp, Intake temps and AFR as these are pretty easy to read with a digital guage. Looking at the recorded boost is also a bonus but the BIG DEAL is the ability to read fault codes...

Over the 2 years or so of ownership my Scooby must have thrown up about 10 CEL's if I didn't have the SECS to tell me the codes then I would have been a nervous wreck !!

Shaun

PS many thanks to Stan Palmers here in Carlilse who double checked the CEL's and cleared them free of charge every time........
Why do you get the dealers to clear the codes,when you can do it yourself?
Old 30 March 2005, 07:48 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

yep knock correction does work on classics, when my maf on my MY99 was on the way out i saw 0.5 degree knock correction on the secs (red link on kl), never seen that before, was able to spare the engine until new maf fitted later same day, nice to have some reference to whats going on in the engine
Old 30 March 2005, 07:48 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

Talking

no you can clear them yourself, its a nice toy
Old 30 March 2005, 09:18 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

On the newage SECS,the knock correction shows how much advance it can put into the ignition curve-up to about 9.5 degrees,ie its learning curve IIRC.
Old 30 March 2005, 02:17 PM
rustybin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Brilliant, thanks for that. Won't be getting much work done this afternoon now.
Old 30 March 2005, 03:35 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Great bit of Kit. I purchased mine last year at JapFest at castle combe (They had a stand there) £300 with free fitting!!!!! Agree with everone regarding sun light on the display but I'm told the new screen resolves this.

Fault code reader is very useful and the MPH reading from the ECU is nearly spot on with my road angel, Speedo is between 5-9 MPH out.

I see from time to time, 0.5 KC on mine (My99 UK turbo). The odd 1.0 but nothing appears to be out of sorts (Always run on optimax, serviced on the dot using quality oil etc, had a new Maf last march when remapped). Car's in for service tomorrow So i'll find out if any problems. Only ever had one fault code come up and that was when it was first plugged in showing Maf.
Old 30 March 2005, 03:39 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

How can you tell if it is added ignition or removing it when looking at the KC figure?

Regards,
Shaun.