Sponsored by:

big-end failure

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2005, 09:57 AM
ThE_MysterY_MachinE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question big-end failure

Surely, scoobies aren't that unreliable....

I keep hearing stories about big-ends going...

what are your thoughts
Old 24 March 2005, 10:10 AM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

i only see that engine failure are for older impreza`s
did someone had engine failure on the new age imreza sti my02/03/04/05
Old 24 March 2005, 10:31 AM
truerim
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ThE_MysterY_MachinE

what are your thoughts
Mine went last year on my jap import classic, took 6 months to sort out and source parts as no one could get the right bits! Needed crank, big end, little end, con rod, etc... The car would of been a write off if my next door neighbor wasn't so resourceful and found me all the bits for less than a grand
Old 24 March 2005, 10:32 AM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Yup, big end faliure on my dads MY02.

Adam
Old 24 March 2005, 10:36 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ThE_MysterY_MachinE

what are your thoughts
hmmm maybe they are theres about 6 of us all got classic shape imprezas only 2 have had no engine work-(1 wrx(1994) all the rest are uk cars).i think youve gotta bare in mind how theyre driven and how often theyre serviced,tho on the 99/00 cars subaru didnt help their cause by putting fragile maf sensors on them.I think if you got a scooby from new kept it yrs driving steady regularly serviced etc you would hardly have any trouble,but who buys a scooby to drive steady?drawbacks of any performance car im afraid,big power=big bills.look at it this way even wrc cars pack up sometimes with almost unlimited funds to chuck at them,if you spoke to most evo drivers ive known the running costs especially with clutches takes the ****,a couple of mates have sold theirs coz they just couldnt keep up with them.lets face it scoobys are a cheap car anyway so you cant have everything-still good value tho in my eyes-think the 2000 onwards cars are loads more reliable than the older classic shape.
Old 24 March 2005, 10:53 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is already a thread about this. If they are not pratted about with i.e boost controllers etc and serived properly then they are OK.
My big ends went last year at 80 K. - the reason in my opinion was beacuse i had upgraded the turbo and was running more boost on a car that had already worked hard life. The car went like stink - for a bit! If i had left it, it would probably still be sweet untill 100K. But hey didnt buy it to leave standard or tootle about in so i expect some costs! I have since the rebuild decided to run stock boost levels and have gone down the d cat route. Oh and ive got a knock link now! Engine is a sweet as a nut now and i have learnt a LOT since i brought it especuialy about how to look after an performance engine. Mechanical symapthy is the buzz word.
Thanks go out to Dave at APi.

Andy
Old 24 March 2005, 11:01 AM
truerim
Scooby Regular

Think a big problem with these earlier engines is the crank, when had the car in bits for repair had a look at the crank when it was out the engine, i swear I have seen bigger motorbike cranks! Seemed really small and fragile!
Old 24 March 2005, 12:02 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by truerim
Think a big problem with these earlier engines is the crank, when had the car in bits for repair had a look at the crank when it was out the engine, i swear I have seen bigger motorbike cranks! Seemed really small and fragile!
That's flats fours for you.
Very compact and expensive to build as well, that's why only Subaru and porsche make them.

Dipster
Old 24 March 2005, 03:09 PM
ThE_MysterY_MachinE
Scooby Regular

if it goes it is worth replacing with some performance parts if so which make
Old 24 March 2005, 04:44 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

mine has also just gone, spoke to the garage where i brought it from 2 years ago and they told me they can do it next week not a prob they do about one/two per month so that goes to show it happens all the time.
it to do with the oil serculation in the sump,the faster you drive the more oil is burnt so if lets say you havent dipped your oil for a few weeks and its a bit low ish and you go out for a scratch like me, cars hot and then you have a good blast the oil in the car is reduced so not as much oil is going around the engine hense ont enough oil to the big end thus breaking the bearing. long winded but thats why it happens
Old 24 March 2005, 05:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by davedipster
That's flats fours for you.
Very compact and expensive to build as well, that's why only Subaru and porsche make them.

Dipster
Yep, but sounds great, low centre of gravity and very smooth! :-)
Old 24 March 2005, 05:54 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Yep, but sounds great, low centre of gravity and very smooth! :-)
One of reasons I bought the scoob, flat fours rule

Dipster
Old 26 March 2005, 11:44 AM
GirlieTrucker
Scooby Regular

I bought a completely standard UK 99 car 2 weeks ago.. FULL SSH, 66k on the clock, over half a dip stick on Sunday afternoon when I spent ages cleaning it..

Sunday night, 20 miles down the Mway at less then 70 mph (HGV Driver).. Got off, pullin away, changed up to 4th at 5.5krpm, pop.. no power, loadsa smoke..

Limped it back 2 miles home, and now there's no compression in the Front left cyl (which one is that.?? 3 at a guess!!) and NO OIL.. !!!!!

Cuz of the loss of oil, the mechie reckon it's probably a ring minimum...

2weeks of ownership, one week drivin, one week on the drive... I hope this isn't the way things are gonna be..

BUT.. It still looks fappin ace.. even if it is just a driveway ornament..

Luv
Chrisie...

Last edited by GirlieTrucker; 26 March 2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 26 March 2005, 12:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GirlieTrucker
I bought a completely standard UK 99 car 2 weeks ago.. FULL SSH, 66k on the clock, over half a dip stick on Sunday afternoon when I spent ages cleaning it..
That sucks! What on eath made it use half its capacity of oil in that short space of time though? When was the last service prior to you buying it? You'll need to determine what the cause of the oil loss was when your engine is being seen to in order to prevent a re-occurance.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix? Who is carrying out the repairs?

Regards,

NS04
Old 26 March 2005, 12:30 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by speedystu
mine has also just gone, spoke to the garage where i brought it from 2 years ago and they told me they can do it next week not a prob they do about one/two per month so that goes to show it happens all the time.
it to do with the oil serculation in the sump,the faster you drive the more oil is burnt so if lets say you havent dipped your oil for a few weeks and its a bit low ish and you go out for a scratch like me, cars hot and then you have a good blast the oil in the car is reduced so not as much oil is going around the engine hense ont enough oil to the big end thus breaking the bearing. long winded but thats why it happens
Being low on oil is certainly one of the probable causes but not the only reason! Others could include the pressure relief valve in the oil pump sticking, not filling the oil filter before fitting, det, wrong oil......

These engines dont seem to like prolonged periods of high revs.

Also the crank has changed to a crossed drilled type (STi 9+) to aid oil flow to the bearings, so maybe we will see less of these types of failure, i hope so as im fitting the new type cranks in my STi 5 that suffered big end failure.