Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Wan't one (But need some advice first)

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2005, 06:33 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I Wan't one (But need some advice first)

I'm new today so HI!
Right straight into it no meesin'
I recon I'm gonna go for a turbo 2000 or catalunya, lookin to pay about 8k.
I have a few question's I'd like to ask if you'll indulge me!

1, Is it gonna be practical in terms of fuel cost to drive to work everyday? (28 mile round trip)

2, Insurance, it's ****, they hate me, I'm 22 with a dr10 in 2001 had a quote from Endsliegh for 2100 am I gonna get cheaper?

3, I've heard loads of people say the interior is a bit poo, I have a focus which is quite comfy is the scooby gonna be a step down in terms of comfort? ( I know it's not about comfort with this car but I am gonna be driving it ALOT)

4, Can't think of anymore now! Doh! Anyhew I'm sure you'll all tell me some more stuff I need to know!

Look forward to talking to you all in the future!
Old 21 March 2005, 06:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Hi ! Welcome to SNet

If you drive like a saint (unlikely in a Scooby ) you might get by on a gallon a day, but I'd say you're more likely to be spending about £40-50 a week just on your commuting fuel. Add to that any social mileage and you can see this may prove costly. The DR10 will be on your license 'til 2012, so you'll be nearing the magic 30 when it clears, just as the insurance cost starts to fall (a little ).
TBH, I'd stick with something a little more inconspicuous for a while. Skoda Fabia vRS's are now appearing on the 2nd hand market for around £9k. These will give you a good performance drive, allied with excellent fuel economy. You'll probably only spend £13 a week on the commute, and insurance for me on one of those is 1/3 of the Scooby. They also seem to be holding their value incredibly well, and sell on very well too (something which can't be said of Scoobs ). Plough some of the money saved into a good remap, and you can have 200bhp and 300lb/ft Enough to compete on the highway with most
Old 21 March 2005, 07:07 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Cheers for the advice!

Most insurance company's don't care after five years so I ain't got that long to go...

I'll have a look at the scoda, that's one I did'nt think of...
As you say fuel cost is HIGH maby I should re-think ... again
been through hyundai coupe V6, Clio 182, Toyota celica 190, GT4, (**** me the dogs goin mad... pup staff she's CRAZY!)
anyway I'd still like a scooby just for the hell of it, I have come into some inheritence so it's now or not for a long time, any other advice would be good!
thanx again
Old 21 March 2005, 07:10 PM
dinothedude
Scooby Regular

Hey Paul,

You will notice a big difference in fuel consumption. I went from about £25 in fuel (approx 40 Litres of 95 RON Unleaded) every 10-14 days in a Saxo VTR 1.6i 8V to about £40 (approx 60 Litres of 98 RON Super Unleaded) every week in my MY01 WRX.

To lay that out for you that's £25 every 2 weeks to £80 every 2 weeks. My WRX is a UK spec Bugeye Turbo chucking out 215Bhp without any modifications. It remains unmodified because of the insurance. It was difficult to get a reasonable quote as i am 22 and had no NCB to apply to the Scoob.

I spent a day phoning all the insurers i could find to get the best quote. I ended up with £1744.56 as my best quote from elephant.co.uk on a 10 month Bonus Accelerator.

As for the interior, it is basically a standard Japanese interior. It's all plastic but you do get Aircon. I would say it's not quite up to Bentley or Aston Martin standard but i can assure you it is better than anything Ford could produce. You will never be looking at it anyway.

In my honest opinion: the fuel and the insurance will be more expensive than what you are used to, however the fun that you can have in a Scooby is more than worth it. I would sell anything i own including my house before i would part with it. I urge you to get one, it is the best purchase you will ever make.

Hope i've been of some help to you and let me know how you get on.
Old 21 March 2005, 07:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by paulJb
I'm new today so HI!
Right straight into it no meesin'
I recon I'm gonna go for a turbo 2000 or catalunya, lookin to pay about 8k.
I have a few question's I'd like to ask if you'll indulge me!

1, Is it gonna be practical in terms of fuel cost to drive to work everyday? (28 mile round trip)

2, Insurance, it's ****, they hate me, I'm 22 with a dr10 in 2001 had a quote from Endsliegh for 2100 am I gonna get cheaper?

3, I've heard loads of people say the interior is a bit poo, I have a focus which is quite comfy is the scooby gonna be a step down in terms of comfort? ( I know it's not about comfort with this car but I am gonna be driving it ALOT)

4, Can't think of anymore now! Doh! Anyhew I'm sure you'll all tell me some more stuff I need to know!

Look forward to talking to you all in the future!
Hello and welcome to SN

Brief answers to your Questions, for more info do a search.

1) Depends how deep your pockets are for petrol. Drive gently and you'll get about 240 miles from a tank. however, if you're worried about fuel economy, these really aren't the cars to get.

2) At your age, most won't insure you on a UK turbo, the only reason some will is cause Subaru were economical with the truth about the Turbo 2000's acceleration which resulted in a Group 17 as opposed to group 19 rating the current -and marginally slower- WRX is stuck with. Insuring a Scooby hurts, even if you're over 30 with full NCB. 2 grand is probably about right.

3) Interiors are very 80s, but actually quite solid. Comfort is very good for the performance, ride is firm, but not back breaking. Refinement is not particularly good on classics, but who gives a stuff about that when you've got a flat four to listen to! :-)

4) Have you budgeted for servicing? If you don't want a 4.5k bill for an engine rebuild, you'll need to get it serviced to the letter of the manual. Every 6 months or 7.5k miles (bout £100) larger services cost up to £400, replacing a clutch will cost anything up to £800 (so no drag starts or doughnuts). You'll want to treat the Maf as a consumable £80 a pop. You'll need to run it on the best fully synth oil, super unleaded petrol, preferably Optimax. These are high maintenence cars, so If you're planning to run it on a budget, best look elsewhere. Sorry to be negative, IMHO they're worth every peny, but you do need to be prepared to spend on these cars...some people just aren't and en up getting their fingers badly burned.

Regards, NS04
Old 21 March 2005, 07:17 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Now that's more like what I expected!

No disrespect to corradoboy though that is sound advice.
but like I said I'm stupid so I want a mental car, and what better than the impreza!
I spend about 40 quid a week in fuel in my 1.8Zetec focus, mind you you do have to thrash it to get anything out of it, I will say this though, it handles better than alot of cars I've driven! but then again I've never driven a scooby! ... i will though . . . soon . . . ha ha ha ha ha!
Old 21 March 2005, 07:25 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hello and welcome to SN

Brief answers to your Questions, for more info do a search.

1) Depends how deep your pockets are for petrol. Drive gently and you'll get about 240 miles from a tank. however, if you're worried about fuel economy, these really aren't the cars to get.

2) At your age, most won't insure you on a UK turbo, the only reason some will is cause Subaru were economical with the truth about the Turbo 2000's acceleration which resulted in a Group 17 as opposed to group 19 rating the current -and marginally slower- WRX is stuck with. Insuring a Scooby hurts, even if you're over 30 with full NCB. 2 grand is probably about right.

3) Interiors are very 80s, but actually quite solid. Comfort is very good for the performance, ride is firm, but not back breaking. Refinement is not particularly good on classics, but who gives a stuff about that when you've got a flat four to listen to! :-)

4) Have you budgeted for servicing? If you don't want a 4.5k bill for an engine rebuild, you'll need to get it serviced to the letter of the manual. Every 6 months or 7.5k miles (bout £100) larger services cost up to £400, replacing a clutch will cost anything up to £800 (so no drag starts or doughnuts). You'll want to treat the Maf as a consumable £80 a pop. You'll need to run it on the best fully synth oil, super unleaded petrol, preferably Optimax. These are high maintenence cars, so If you're planning to run it on a budget, best look elsewhere. Sorry to be negative, IMHO they're worth every peny, but you do need to be prepared to spend on these cars...some people just aren't and en up getting their fingers badly burned.

Regards, NS04
Cheers New_scooby_04,
I hear what your saying, I have just come into a fair wad so I'm gonna get rid of all my debt and have a fair bit to play with so I recon I could do it, to hear that sound every morning!
Old 21 March 2005, 07:35 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Yeah just lookin on parkers I think I'd have to go for a pre '00 realy like the catalunya's
Old 21 March 2005, 07:40 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a word of warning though bud.

Treat these motors with respect, if you try and drive it like you do
your Ford....wham you'll end up in a ditch.

I went from a slightly modded Beemer to a Scoob and the performance
is mind blowing.

Apart from what else has been said you wont get a better perfoming
car for your money.

Enjoy
Old 21 March 2005, 07:47 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Cheers Punkie,

I am sensible honest! I did get married at 20 and have bought myself a flat and I've got a dog, now I need to do something even stupider! Seriously though I do appreciate the advice and I know I'm getting myself into something crazy but that's the reason most people buy a scooby is'nt it? I ain't a boy racer and would treat my scooby like I treat my wife... with quiet admiration! and give her a good thrashing every now and agian! (in a good way)
Old 21 March 2005, 08:00 PM
Notorious
Scooby Regular

Hi All...This is only my second post as only joined last week..so hello!!

Paul......Iam 23 and bought a my00 Turbo 2000 in mica blue (pics to follow) last september, previously I had a Pug 106 gti (which I loved) but you just cannot compare!!

I paid 10k for the car and the noise alone is worth this. I had 2 yrs no claims and just renewed my insurance in feb and paid £1600 with Bell direct. I also got a 1yr warranty with the car with the mileage sitting at 49K.

Fuel wise I am spending around £40 to £50 a week, my commuting distance is around 16 miles round trip on the motorway, however I do tend to take the "long" way home most evenings via the town centre..lol..sad I know.

Does anyone have any ideas for mods on the Turbo 2000? How much does the prodrive kit cost for it? Should I get a turbo timer? God so many ideas running around my little scottish head!!!!

Thanks and I look forward to future postings!
Old 21 March 2005, 08:08 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Well we're moving premises at wrk soon I'll just have to persuade them to move closer to my house!
Old 21 March 2005, 08:20 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a wagon mate and you can fit the dog in the back.

Good luck with the search fella.A scoob certainly wont disapoint.
(Re your dr10...Some insurance companies only ask for convictions in the past 3 years...)
Old 21 March 2005, 08:52 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Feffers
Get a wagon mate and you can fit the dog in the back.

Good luck with the search fella.A scoob certainly wont disapoint.
(Re your dr10...Some insurance companies only ask for convictions in the past 3 years...)
Which ones, which ones, which ones!!! please.
Old 21 March 2005, 09:15 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain mate. Im 25 and have just got a 96 wrx import. With no no claims and a slightly checkered license....hmmmm.

Have you tried all the biggys? Tescos etc... I know its a pain in the **** but have you thought about going on someone elses insurance who hasnt got the ban like your old dear? Just until you dont have to tell the insurers then you can start building up ur no claims.

Check out the Insurance section on here as well. Im sure someone will know of the companies that only need convictions for the last 3 yrs....

Another thing, Tescos wanted a tracker (440 quid) and an immobiliser on mine before they insure me so unless you get one already with expect to pay out another few hundred straight off!! Gits.
Old 21 March 2005, 09:22 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Paul get a classic Sti version .......there are miles better
Old 21 March 2005, 09:32 PM
paulJb
Scooby Newbie

Sorry am dumb, would a classic be pre '99 ? what IG would they be?
Old 21 March 2005, 11:31 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Notorious
Hi All...This is only my second post as only joined last week..so hello!!

Paul......Iam 23 and bought a my00 Turbo 2000 in mica blue (pics to follow) last september, previously I had a Pug 106 gti (which I loved) but you just cannot compare!!

I paid 10k for the car and the noise alone is worth this. I had 2 yrs no claims and just renewed my insurance in feb and paid £1600 with Bell direct. I also got a 1yr warranty with the car with the mileage sitting at 49K.

Fuel wise I am spending around £40 to £50 a week, my commuting distance is around 16 miles round trip on the motorway, however I do tend to take the "long" way home most evenings via the town centre..lol..sad I know.

Does anyone have any ideas for mods on the Turbo 2000? How much does the prodrive kit cost for it? Should I get a turbo timer? God so many ideas running around my little scottish head!!!!

Thanks and I look forward to future postings!
prodrive kit fitted 1600 quid
Old 22 March 2005, 12:03 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paulJb
Sorry am dumb, would a classic be pre '99 ? what IG would they be?
17 according to parkers.

jamo