Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion: Spec C, WR1, FQ340 OR Modify!

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2005, 12:44 AM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion: Spec C, WR1, FQ340 OR Modify!

If anyone has experience of all of the above then for pure satisfaction what did you think gives the best?

I have driven a WR1 & FQ340 and niether experience made me want to sign on the dotted line (the cost/benefit was not really there) ... no chance of bagging a go in a Spec C sometime soon. I really wanted to like the FQ340 (and prior to the test drive I managed to convince the missus that the 3 kids would comfortably fit in the back) but my expectations were clearly too high! A short time with these cars is not enough to really tell so basically I am open to some opinion on this specific matter from those that have tried/had them for longer .... particularily if you were disappointed and why.

I have an STi5 with whiteline ARB/Links, 18" wheels with 215/35 tyres, Godspeed 335mm disc & brembo calipers so the handling & braking improvement is significant IMHO. My thinking is that if I further budget half the depreciation over 3 years of the FQ (say 7K) for mods to my car then how far can I push the envelope? Can I get mine to outhandle and clearly outdrag the evo for 7k (the evo was quicker but not significantly IMHO)? Are the new cars that much further along that modding can't really make up on the overall packages that these cars offer?

(Ariel Atom Type R anyone? )

Last edited by GimmeMore; 20 March 2005 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Can't Spell!
Old 20 March 2005, 01:11 AM
rizzy
BANNED

currently got a wr1 and had a fq340 which i think was better for handling,but for looks there is no car that looks as good as the wr1.
Old 20 March 2005, 01:31 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Spec C may be a bit too harsh for you, try the JDM STi instead, better in alot of ways over anything we get over here, out of the box they will push 300bhp and remapped will run 350bhp all day (with 380+lbs of torque).
Only go for the WR1 if you want a warranty, though a good car, its not a patch on a JDM STi, and the evo.... well, bland comes to mind, need i say more?

Tony
Old 20 March 2005, 05:14 AM
Green_Scooby_Wagon
Scooby Regular

After my ride in a Spec C 2 days ago i'd go Spec C all the way.

The MY05 Nurburgring edition

Made my mate's modded bugeye STi feel like a ford mondeo after being in that thing! And it was pretty much standard (just a backbox!)
Old 20 March 2005, 06:47 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Never driven a WR1 but I have driven a PPP UK STi 8, JDM STi 9, FQ-340 and eventually put my money on a Spec C. Bought a WR Limited to get just that extra bit of comfort (central locking and aircon) at the expense of a bit of the weight saving (still 60 kgs lighter than standard) and use it as my daily driver ... don't find it harsh at all.

The handling of the STi 8 UK car really put me off (although I understand this can be fixed with handling kits ... I don't like the idea of having to modify just to make a car driveable). Thought the 340 was excellent but just not for me ... bit twitchy, bit clinical, bit expensive (although looking better now with free servicing). I liked the JDM STi as much as the 340 even though it was technically 'inferior' (bit heavier, bit down on power and torque) ... suited my driving style and brand loyalty I guess. But the Spec C is fantastic ... I love it.
Old 20 March 2005, 06:51 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

MR320 is preferable to the 340 for at least two reasons, price and tunability.

I'd take the Evo, but then I would say that

Would love a drive in a Spec-C though, with an open mind, just for comparison.

Would have to say that the WR1 wouldn't even be in the running. Not bashing it, just never really taken to it personally.

Funny you should mention the Atom, 'cos it's on my 'next car' shortlist...

...alone

Last edited by Sticky Stuff; 20 March 2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 20 March 2005, 09:16 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Guys,
You have to remember that this is going to be a family car as well as a toy so id rule out the Spec C, for a few reasons, and having owned one for 15 months here is the reason id go for the standard STI over the C.

1. the C has 10% harder springs than the standard STi, compromising comfort (have you tried changing channels on the radio? )
2. You get ALL the goodies on the normal JDM STi.
3. Just watch that boot get ripped to peices as there isnt any boot lining in there
4. No soundproofing, good if you dont want to listen to the missus
5. Not really a car you can do great distances in (though having driven leaf springed landrovers anything feels comfortable after that)
6. No differences in the engine except the rollerbearing turbo and oil cooler over the standard JDM STi
7. Insurance..... your very limited to who you can cover with, you mention the words "Spec C" and they say "its not on our database" no matter how much you try they wont touch it, though no problems with a normal JDM STi.
8. The JDM STi makes a better family car, both better than the evo as you can tune the nuts off them quite nicely and better than the WR1 as you get more goodies like quick rack steering (if the car has the drivers pack).

So, 11k miles of Spec C driving (second car btw!) speaks, and its not a family car, not even the limited.

Tony
Old 20 March 2005, 10:03 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Just to add to Tony's comments:

- even the standard JDM STI comes with rock hard suspension. I had Eibachs fitted from new on mine to soften the ride, then junked even those after a few months and went for a fully adjustable setup.

- The '05 JDM STI comes with the same extended wheelbase and suspension geometry as the Spec C, so whatever you've read about how the Spec C handles now applies to the standard STI too (with due allowance for a bit of extra weight, though)

- the quick steering rack is standard on the JDM car (at least for '05)

- the 'biggie' for me was the twin-scroll turbo engine. It offers fabulous torque from low down even with the standard (quiet) exhaust. Swap the exhaust and you're easily looking at WR1 power.
Old 20 March 2005, 11:23 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sticky Stuff
MR320 is preferable to the 340 for at least two reasons, price and tunability.
Interesting comment Andy - why is the 320 more tuneable? I do, of course, bow to your infinite Evo knowledge.....
Old 20 March 2005, 01:10 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

So, 11k miles of Spec C driving (second car btw!) speaks, and its not a family car, not even the limited.

Tony
Mine is a family car, in fact the only car we own, and my wife and son both love it. I had to buy the limited because the missus insisted on air con (okay, so I wasn't that hard to persude) but insurance wasn't a problem as Norwich Union insure it as a JDM STi.

I've only had it for 4 months and 3000 miles but we've done a few long trips in it, can't see any reason to change for a good few years yet.

True that the JDM STi is as good in many areas and not far off in others. But, if you really like the Spec C, I think a limited can work as a family car ...
Old 20 March 2005, 01:31 PM
rizzy
BANNED

will run 350bhp all day (with 380+lbs of torque).
blimey where do i take my car to get a remap then?
Old 20 March 2005, 01:38 PM
Burble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rizzy
will run 350bhp all day (with 380+lbs of torque).
blimey where do i take my car to get a remap then?

Bob Rawle can sort you out.
BRdevelopments.com

Burb....scoob no longer...why am i in here???
Old 20 March 2005, 01:45 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spec-cie
Mine is a family car, in fact the only car we own, and my wife and son both love it. I had to buy the limited because the missus insisted on air con (okay, so I wasn't that hard to persude) but insurance wasn't a problem as Norwich Union insure it as a JDM STi.

I've only had it for 4 months and 3000 miles but we've done a few long trips in it, can't see any reason to change for a good few years yet.

True that the JDM STi is as good in many areas and not far off in others. But, if you really like the Spec C, I think a limited can work as a family car ...
Mmmmm nice
post a pic mate...

plus was was the insurance cost! IYDMA

Dazza
Old 20 March 2005, 02:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

but insurance wasn't a problem as Norwich Union insure it as a JDM STi.
Ah, well this is where it gets complicated lol!
Yes it is a JDM STi, but its not THE JDM STi that they have down on their books, you have to tell them that its a lightweight version, which then totally baffles them, then they say that they cannot insure it.
L&V who do mine went back to the underwriters after id explained everything about the car, they were then happy, added the oil cooler down as an engine mod and insured me.
If your not precise in your description, it can invalidate your insurance as the JDM STi and Spec C are 2 different models.

Tony
Old 20 March 2005, 04:07 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

currently got a wr1 and had a fq340 which i think was better for handling,but for looks there is no car that looks as good as the wr1.
There are PLENTY of cars that look better than a WR1...

Most are from Italy though...

If you said there is no Jap car that looks as good as the WR1... then thats a different story

Old 20 March 2005, 06:44 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Ta for the commets ...

I am currently thinking that a personal import spec-c is the way to go. That way I can let the missus keep the 7 seat MPV justified by the money NOT spent on the FQ340 (approx 8K) (Oh dear the money not spent argument - I'll be crucified come the next high street sales!) For the rare long trip the Spec-C will do methinks.

One question though: will a spec-C be noticibly quicker than a stock STi5? Cos if not then that'll have to be mapped asap! My mates WR1 can eek out a lead but nothing spectacular.
Old 20 March 2005, 07:48 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

t25-the dogs bo**ocks or a jdm t20 -very tueable
martin
Old 20 March 2005, 08:28 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ah, well this is where it gets complicated lol!
Yes it is a JDM STi, but its not THE JDM STi that they have down on their books, you have to tell them that its a lightweight version, which then totally baffles them, then they say that they cannot insure it.
L&V who do mine went back to the underwriters after id explained everything about the car, they were then happy, added the oil cooler down as an engine mod and insured me.
If your not precise in your description, it can invalidate your insurance as the JDM STi and Spec C are 2 different models.

Tony
You're right Tony but, as you found, if you take care to explain what you have, you can get insurance. NU also checked with the underwriters while I was on the phone and decided they would insure it as a JDM STi, i.e. the group, weighting and premium would be the same. I asked them to make sure it had Spec C WR Limited on the paperwork and it does. Elephant, on the other hand, would insure a JDM STi but not the Spec C.

Dazza, paid £820 including European cover (handy for my trip to the 'Ring next month ). Very pleased as I paid £750 for my UK Turbo PPP the year before. You can find a couple of pics at http://www.dyson.force9.co.uk/spec_c.html and I'm hoping to take some more soon now that the sun finally seems to be appearing on a semi-regular basis ...
Old 20 March 2005, 08:30 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GimmeMore
Ta for the commets ...

I am currently thinking that a personal import spec-c is the way to go. That way I can let the missus keep the 7 seat MPV justified by the money NOT spent on the FQ340 (approx 8K) (Oh dear the money not spent argument - I'll be crucified come the next high street sales!) For the rare long trip the Spec-C will do methinks.

One question though: will a spec-C be noticibly quicker than a stock STi5? Cos if not then that'll have to be mapped asap! My mates WR1 can eek out a lead but nothing spectacular.
There's only really one way to find out. Are you in the Essex/Suffolk area?
Old 20 March 2005, 08:52 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

There's only really one way to find out. Are you in the Essex/Suffolk area?
I am In Jersey .... The current models are a bit bigger and safer so modding my 6 year old car probably would not make sense for me I suppose but at home it would be the second car for my use only - only have the family in it if going to France or the UK (a few times a year). Been checking out Spec-C prices ... not bad, OTR for <20K inc of SVA Test & mods (no VAT also helps).

The FQ340 was offered to me with 2K discount & free servicing so it was tempting - for a bit.

Thanks for the offer to compare
Old 20 March 2005, 09:07 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

go to http://www.rcdevelopments.com/ and have a read about their findings on the FQ340, quite alarming really

James
Old 20 March 2005, 09:15 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Been checking out Spec-C prices ... not bad, OTR for <20K inc of SVA Test & mods (no VAT also helps).

Thanks for the offer to compare
No VAT? Lucky man ...
Old 20 March 2005, 09:37 PM
rizzy
BANNED

how are you not paying vat?
Old 20 March 2005, 09:53 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I think he's in the Channel Islands which are a tax haven.
Old 20 March 2005, 09:58 PM
rizzy
BANNED

ive heard alot about the channel islands i dont get it tho how does it all work,and i thought the ships only dock at liverpool irland or southampton
Old 20 March 2005, 10:02 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

ive heard alot about the channel islands i dont get it tho how does it all work,and i thought the ships only dock at liverpool irland or southampton
Pass. I'd guess they ship them back out to them from one of those ports but i'm sure somone else will know for definate.
Old 20 March 2005, 10:07 PM
rizzy
BANNED

eny one got eny info for me plz?
Old 20 March 2005, 10:09 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

No VAT (yet ...... but 'sales tax' on the way!) as Jersey is not in the EEC ... it all stems back to the time when William the conquerer bested the english with the help of channel island mercenaries The rest is history ...

All is not well though as we have no fast sweeping roads to play on with our scoobs either! Just a load of twisties with a 40 mph limit .... but we make do.

and i thought the ships only dock at liverpool irland or southampton
Pay the 10% duty at Southampton and 'export' the car personally to Jersey via Weymouth, Poole or Portsmouth like I did with the STi5 I have now - I drove for 2 days without number plates in the UK and only got stopped twice Of course I had the appropriate paperwork.

Last edited by GimmeMore; 20 March 2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 20 March 2005, 10:31 PM
rizzy
BANNED

No VAT (yet ...... but 'sales tax' on the way!) as Jersey is not in the EEC ... it all stems back to the time when William the conquerer bested the english with the help of channel island mercenaries The rest is history ...

All is not well though as we have no fast sweeping roads to play on with our scoobs either! Just a load of twisties with a 40 mph limit .... but we make do.

Pay the 10% duty at Southampton and 'export' the car personally to Jersey via Weymouth, Poole or Portsmouth like I did with the STi5 I have now - I drove for 2 days without number plates in the UK and only got stopped twice Of course I had the appropriate paperwork.
can i get my evo 9 registerd in your name or at your house lolz,i'll slide you abit of cash that i save?
Old 20 March 2005, 10:44 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Rizzy: Are you importing your own Evo yourself?

Quick Reply: Opinion: Spec C, WR1, FQ340 OR Modify!