Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help regarding accident and can this be fixed ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 09:53 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help regarding accident and can this be fixed ?

I was driving home from work the other night and approached a Junction. Traffic was parked on double yellow lines both sides and it was difficult to see, but I edged out a little to see better. It was 10pm at night so you could normally see car lights if a car was coming.

I edged out a little more and a saxo appeared from now where doing an estimated 80mph in a 30 zone and smashed into the front corner of the car on the passengers side.

He hit me that hard that it spun my car 180 degrees. He jumped out of his car shouting sorry sorry are you alright, it was my fault I was going too fast.

I called the police who took statements etc. There are 2 witnesses one of which told me his details and said he seen the guy in the saxo tear past him and if I needed to contact him for a witness I could.

I went round to the guys house the following day to get his insurance details. His mum said he was out at school but she could give me the insurance details. I asked her if she knew if he was taking liability for the accident and she said she had not spoke to him but didn't think so. I said he was going a bit fast wasn't he. She said well he is not going to admit that is he ?

So what do I do now ? I have an appointment with a solicitor tomorrow to seek legal advice. Will the insurance see that he was in the wrong or will they take his side ? Will the police prosecute for his dangerous driving ? When I said to the office that he was doing about 80 he looked at me like I was daft. I said do you not believe me the young lad is driving a Saxo VTS, its a 1.6 16v car. I am sure it is capable of those speeds in a short distance. Also if he wasn't going that fast how did he manage to spin a 1.3 ton car 180 degrees. His answer to that was he hit the heavy side. I would have thought this meant the car would have been harder to move, but the officer didn't think so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are some picks of the car. Do you think the insurance will write the car off ? If you look closely the roof seems a little bent, where the A-pillar has pulled it down. How much do you think it would cost me to get it fixed ?

The cambelt cover has been smashed and I am not sure if it has hit the engine or not ?

Cheers

Old 03 March 2005, 10:14 PM
posho2
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Hi there, im a workshop controler in a bodyshop.

Just looked at all your pics, he did hit you hard. First things first, whos your insurance company?, what year is the car, is it an import and what value would you have put on it before the fatal blow??

By the looks of it, it has pushed the whole front end over and done serious damage to the ns chassis leg (not good). it would be an expensive repair and most insuance companys will only pay up to a max of 60-65% of the vehicles valve. the roof would prob straighten out if its pulled correctly on a proper jig.

If it was me, i prob wouldnt want the car back, there never the same after such a heavy front smack, plus the suspension will be bent too.

The insurance company will see the vehicle and they can pretty much tell who's in the wrong. But seeing as he said sorry straight away, theres your confession.

Let me know the details above.
Old 03 March 2005, 10:15 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Sorry to read about your smash. I would say 'bloddy Saxo drivers' but that would get me some stick on here know doubt!

Can't see what reg/year your car is but is most definatly a write-off, there is significant damage to the main structural members and the insurance company will not allow this to be pulled back straight and a little filler applied. Even if the engine is still ok (does it start?) it's best to walk away and start afresh, that car would need 2k + of work to get you back to square one with a nice Cat D record on the log book.

Good luck, I'm sure paxo boy will get whats coming to him.
Old 03 March 2005, 10:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

looking at the pics,

factor in the engine damage..

i,d say they will call it a day..

sorry mate ,,, i know how you feel, my scoob has just gone the same way

I hope you get everything from the little *******

Mart
Old 03 March 2005, 10:39 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

hi guys

thanks for the replies

the car is a K reg Wrx Import

I thought it was a write off, but I don't who's insurance will be paying out. I don't see why it should be mine if the guy was driving dangerously and without due care. Am I right ?

Cheers

Last edited by VAL113R; 04 March 2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03 March 2005, 10:41 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Also I take it that the insurance will see the damage caused and will know the guy was going too fast? Will they look at it then as his fault due to the speed or mine ?
Old 03 March 2005, 10:54 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

The car could be fixed m8 but they will definatly right it off, hope everything turns out ok for you tho ....
Old 03 March 2005, 10:58 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VAL113R
Also I take it that the insurance will see the damage caused and will know the guy was going too fast? Will they look at it then as his fault due to the speed or mine ?
Sorry to hear about the smash... at least no one was hurt...

I had a similar accident about 6 years ago where an obviously speeding pickup took the front of my car off as I edged/pulled out of a junction.

Unfortunately the long and short of it is this..... Even if it is proven that he was speeding the accident will still be seen as your fault both in the eyes of the law and the insurers as you pulled out of a junction causing the collision.... The speed of the other vehicle is irrelevant in this case... He will just get done for whatever offence is used when no absolute evidence of speed is available (reckless driving etc.) Won't make any difference as to where the blame for the incident is laid.

This I got directly from the police at the scene of my accident who basically advised me to let the insurance companies deal with it on a knock for knock basis.

Paul
Old 03 March 2005, 10:59 PM
Fee Muir
Scooby Regular

In his police statement did he say anything about speeding? or was there anyone there at the time who heard him say that he was going too fast?

if nothing comes of that, maybe get the police to get in touch with the guy who said he would be willing to be a witness to see if he will give them a statement

good luck
Old 03 March 2005, 11:12 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobchrissy
The car could be fixed m8 but they will definatly right it off, hope everything turns out ok for you tho ....
I agree, could be fixed but will be written off

Originally Posted by posho2
there never the same after such a heavy front smack
If it's repaired properly it wouldn't be an issue. People are put off repaired cars because of the amount of sh1te repairs that end up back on the road
Old 04 March 2005, 09:48 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Really sorry to see this. Lovely car

A good friend had his beloved classic merc written off in the same way - edging out of a junction to see whether it was safe. Hit by a Nova (I think) doing between 60 and 80 from the skidmarks on the road.

So, cars parked illegally on a junction.
Novaboy going supersonic in a 30.
Friend trying to pull out safely.

Guess whose fault the accident is? Yup, correct, the chap who moved in front of the oncoming car. No, it's not fair.

Novaboy prosecuted for reckless driving IIRC. No way of recovering any costs of the accident from him tho.

As I said, I'm really sorry to see this, and really sorry to tell you what happened to my mate.
Old 04 March 2005, 10:05 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vipa
Sorry to hear about the smash... at least no one was hurt...

I had a similar accident about 6 years ago where an obviously speeding pickup took the front of my car off as I edged/pulled out of a junction.

Unfortunately the long and short of it is this..... Even if it is proven that he was speeding the accident will still be seen as your fault both in the eyes of the law and the insurers as you pulled out of a junction causing the collision.... The speed of the other vehicle is irrelevant in this case... He will just get done for whatever offence is used when no absolute evidence of speed is available (reckless driving etc.) Won't make any difference as to where the blame for the incident is laid.

This I got directly from the police at the scene of my accident who basically advised me to let the insurance companies deal with it on a knock for knock basis.

Paul
Hate to say it mate, but I would agree with this. The Mrs. is a Solicitor that deals with RTA's and speed is NOT an act of negligence wrt accidents.

As the cars were illegally parked - I guess you MAY be able to indicate that they were a contributary factor in the accident?
Old 04 March 2005, 10:16 AM
GavinR96
Scooby Regular

Question Modifications !!

Another quick thought have you declared the wheels and ecu up-grade as I am not sure how througher the insurance companies look at the cars these days otherwise return it back to standard spec as soon as possible.

GavinR96