Sponsored by:

2005 WRX - Carkeys test

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2005, 11:19 AM
GDAS24
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 WRX - Carkeys test

Apologies if this issue has been covered already on Scoobynet, but I've been thinking recently of replacing my '98 UK Turbo saloon with a new import WRX 5-door, and just discovered this test by David Finlay on Carkeys which says the 2005 suspension changes are a disaster, resulting in the car being 'harsh and incorrectly-damped' and having a worse ride than the STi.

See http://www.carkeys.co.uk/road_test/subaru/5439.asp

I guess I need to go and test drive one for myself, but I was just wondering if David Finlay's views are widely shared.

Anyone driven one or heard anything?

Graham
Old 07 February 2005, 11:51 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

I have an 05 and can't complain, car has more ability than I do. Not noticed any harsh ride and is a pleasure to drive.
Old 07 February 2005, 12:23 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy1505
I have an 05 and can't complain, car has more ability than I do. Not noticed any harsh ride and is a pleasure to drive.
I also have an 05 WRX and feel exactly same... pleasure to drive... certainly not too hard and not tiring as some evo's can be. Perfect balance between acceptable ride quality and performance handling IMHO.

Paul
Old 07 February 2005, 12:39 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Also.....

I've just read the road test and would PERSONALLY disagree wholehartedly. I admit that I've never driven a classic so cannot compare my WRX to that but have been in STis and a WR1.

The WRX is very predictable in the twisties (in my experience) although I will fall way short of pushing her limits.... She goes exactly where I point her.... I've even scared myself when I've... by accident... got the whole sequence of laying down power correctly when exiting roundabouts... and she's launched like a missile.... exactly where I expected her to go...

the ride is firm... well behaved...etc etc not too hard (i drive 20k + per year), minimal body roll in the corners... steering is precise and predictable (even when I make mistakes she sorts them out for me!!)

As a comparison... My WRX is in having a couple of "interior bass modifications" today and I've been given a mini cooper for the day.... Not a pleasant journey to the office.... rolling round in the car.... thought I was gonna lose the back end at one point (I know it wasn't really gonna happen... but it felt like it was!) not confidence inspiring at all and no reall feeling of what was happening at the wheels. I want my baby back...

Anyway... just my 2 penneth.....

Paul
Old 07 February 2005, 02:26 PM
New_scooby_04

I'm sorry, but as the owner of a classic and -having driven an 04 and 05 WRX- I can say that this article is, well, let's just say its hard to believe the gentleman actually drove the car! The ride on the WRX is remarkable given its ability in the corners. Of course the set up is firm; but it's never tiring or jarring- a sign of very well sorted damping. Body movements are very well controlled and it really instills confidence to push on. The ride/handling balance is a significant step up from a classic. Most people would regard this as the principle compensation for the slightly reduced performance, owing to the cars extra weight. It really is a dual purpose car: properly compliant when you need it and suficiently firm when you want to press on.

Of course car reviews ARE subjective and its down to personal preference, so the only sensible advice is to go and drive it for yourself.....Enjoy!
Old 07 February 2005, 04:07 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

The reviewer says the best handling Impeza he has ever driven was a 2.0L Sport.......nuff said.
Old 07 February 2005, 04:28 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

WTF? Bloke's a muppet which is no doubt why he writes for an on-line publication. I have driven many WRX's and owned a few and certainly am not blinkered that they are a great car - they are not that pretty and certainly, compared to modern cars have shocking space in the back etc. BUT, to criticise the suspecion mods is foolish - I've yet to see anyone comment negatively on this new modification so me thinks he either had a bad car or indeed should stick to a 2.0 NA model. Then again, why anyone would want a non-turbo beats me....
Old 07 February 2005, 04:46 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Don't knock sports. They may be slower in a straight line, but they feel a lot livelier and chuckable than a WRX. Its not unknown for a well driven sport to keep up with a lot more powerful cars on B roads, or windy A roads.
Old 07 February 2005, 08:10 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

MY05 WRX here and I thoroughly disagree with the reviewer - in fact I'd like to hear anybody on here agree with the statement that 'the Sti has far better ride quality'

I also do approx 20k a year mostly in traffic and on motorways and in the 2 months of driving the WRX I can honestly say it's been an absolute pleasure, I've been considering getting the prodrive springs but mostly from an aesthetic perspective as it does ride very high even on 18" rims but am undecided as I don't want to spoil what I consider at the moment to be a great balance between handling and ride / comfort..
Old 08 February 2005, 08:43 AM
Daves99
Scooby Regular

I have a MY05 WRX SL which I have had for three months now. Just done 3.5K and I think the ride is great, not sure where the reviewer done his test drive but I have not had any of the issues he states. All of my mates think its a smooth ride as well, very comfortable and good sitting position.

No complaints so far a great car my best by far very happy with it.

Just my 2 peneth worth
Old 08 February 2005, 11:14 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
Don't knock sports. They may be slower in a straight line, but they feel a lot livelier and chuckable than a WRX. Its not unknown for a well driven sport to keep up with a lot more powerful cars on B roads, or windy A roads.
Sorry but having driven a Turbo classic,sport, new shaper WRX and STI I would have to say that IMHO a sport is not "a lot livelier and chuckable than a WRX"
However,as always if the driver of the sport were considerably better than the driver of the turbo then maybe they could keep up.

PS I don't think Sports were being knocked anyway
Old 08 February 2005, 12:02 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I've only driven a sport twice(MY99), when my old MY00 turbo was in for a service and I stand by what I said. It was nowhere near as fast as the turbo, but on cornering it felt lighter and more able to be thrown into a corner.

Remember Impreza's have a lot of grip, but are actually average in handling.

I've driven MY01's, owned a MY02 STI, and now currently a WR1 and each and every one of them provided a very different driving experience.

The MY01 was a lot more solid and planted than the MY00, but it felt slower. My 02 Sti took some getting used to because of the front diff, and power band. But putting a PPP and prodrive springs on it transformed the car in terms of usable power and grip.
The WR1 is IMHO a couple of levels higher than the MY02 STI, so much so it's limts are way higher than can be safely reached on the road.