Sponsored by:

Dangerous road and no cameras

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 04:55 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous road and no cameras

SOme of you may be aware I chucked by Scoob off the road in December clearing a hedge and landing in a field. Scoob was releatively unscathed apart from some scratches and needing a new bumper, undertray and some TLC. I was less lucky with a broken sternum and a couple of cracked ribs. Still not sure what happened but one minute going in a stright line, next minute cars is fishtailing all over the road at moderate speed but too near to a bend and other cars to correct it. The garage repaiing it think one of the wishbones cracked, possible after hitting one of the many pothols on this road.

I got talking to the farmer whos field I landed in and he said its common I get one car a month in the field !! In the last month there have been another 2 cars going off within 15 feet of qwhewre I went off. The road isn;t very fast but its in an appalling state, with potholes a dnpatches everywhere.

So I thought i'd investigate further and found in a 3 day period in Jan an few years back there were 26 accidents and 3 fatalities. Yes 3 deaths in 3 days !!!

Strange thing is there are no speed cameras, the road has been patched very badly and there are no warnng signed letting people know the road is a bit iffy. Its a small country road, not very fast that runs parallel to the A1.

Now does anyone know if the council or Police have to release details of other accidents on this road. Seems to be something needs to be done about the state of this road before someone is killed.

AllanB
Old 06 February 2005, 07:07 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Looks like there is a huge contrast between driving and aviation.

If there is an incident in aviation there is a lot of investigation, all the causal factors are examined, and according to the findings there is an outcome which may mean that procedures are changed worldwide.

By contrast, in driving the outcome automatically seems to be the verdict that people go too fast, so stick a speed camera up.

Many more people die on the roads due to preventable incidents than die in the air, yet road layout, signage, surfaces, sightlines, and the other factors are seldom looked at, let alone altered.

I'd suggest that you get on to your local council highways department, at least make it clear that they have a problem with that piece of road. There should be *somebody* whose job is to handle this stuff.
Old 06 February 2005, 07:11 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you in some way involve the H.S.E. in this ??

Would it be possible to put an advert in the paper maybe contacting any other victims of this stretch of road and then getting a solicitor on board ?
Simon
Old 06 February 2005, 09:14 PM
Legal Eagle
Scooby Regular

Write to the Council and the Police quoting the "Freedom of Information Act" asking for details of all accidents within the last three years on that stretch of road. They have 20 days to supply you with the information.

Last edited by Legal Eagle; 07 February 2005 at 06:14 PM. Reason: amended deadline
Old 08 February 2005, 09:27 AM
bbbill
Scooby Newbie

when u have the facts, the question is can the council be held responsible for corperate mannslaughter ? your chief constable will answer the question, and will I am sure investigate the issue.. There is usually a get out of jail clause for a council, but if there are papers in the council which show they knew, I think there is a negligence case, but then what do I know.. ? nafff all..

rgds
bill
Old 08 February 2005, 10:09 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I suspect re-engineering the road will be of greater benefit than speed cameras. You say the road has been badly patched, that may well be a large causative factor as the grip levels on that part of the road will vary substancially. If you add a potential dangerous camber or poor choice of surface then you'll get a very dangerous section of road.

A speed camera might slow traffic down, but it's unlikely to be as effective as sorting the road out. Remember, the road could still be dangerous at under the speed limit so it's much better to sort out the underlying cause than attack the secondary factors.
Old 08 February 2005, 10:23 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

probably not economically viable to put one there!!
Old 08 February 2005, 12:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

We have much the same situation near here, the A1077 between Scun thorpe and New Holland has many many accidents on a yearly basis, with the Scunny-Barton stretch being a real menace.

Twisty, with poor sight lines, up and down, loads of slow moving vehicles and plenty of traffic: it has it all.

Lots of people have tried to get something done, the local paper, local people etc, but the council just wheel out the police road safety officer who trots out the usual line:" there are no dangerous roads, just dangerous drivers. Drive to the conditions.", and on we go until the next accident.

I PERSONALLY know 3 people who have had write-offs on that road, and did know three others who have died on it

Don't hold your brerath to get owt done: it's ALL about money making now, don't let anyone tell you different

Alcazar