ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How many points do you get...

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2005, 09:31 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many points do you get...

for hitting someones car (mine) in a car park and then driving away without exchanging insurance details?

my poor door crumpled like paper! i know who it was cos i recognise him plus his paint on my door!
Old 31 January 2005, 12:49 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

None, because the carpark will be private land and isnt under the same laws as the public highway,how do i know, a drunk driver hit an Ex girlfriends car in a carpark but got out and walked away whilst the Police where there and they couldnt touch him as it was classed as private land.

The best bit was she owned the carpark and would have had to take out a private prosecution to get the monies repayed for the damage to her car.

He did cough up after some gentle negotiations when he had sobbered up.
Old 31 January 2005, 12:57 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

None, unfortunately. I had a similar incident before. Someone hit my car in a gym car park. Found the car that hit it through CCTV. Confronted him. Coughed up after a little chat. How the fear of pain (though not explicitly expressed) can work If you know who did it, rather than grassing the guy, speak to him first. You might just get the result you are looking for.
Old 31 January 2005, 01:40 PM
hostagewrx
Scooby Regular

Have a quick read of this lads: http://www.rjerrard.co.uk/law/cases/clarke1.htm
Old 31 January 2005, 02:39 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

But I thought that the police enforced the Construction and Use regulations on cruiser's vehicles being used in Private Car Parks Surely if the above is true then they can only be done when (if) they move off to the public highway.
Old 31 January 2005, 03:19 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Nice reading but it still proves nothing, yours or his insurance still dont have to pay as it was a carpark.

Insurance companies will always ask for your proffession and if you work in the licensing trade or catering (ie Hotel) your premium will reflect this due to the car parking issue on the carpark.

I have seen an unmarked Police car waiting outside a Hotel's car park for drink drivers to put 1 wheel onto the Highway and have them,if they dont leave the car park they are untouchable.

I was a passenger in a car in a petrol station at the pump and when my mate started the car, he was in gear and it moved forward and shunted the car at the pump in front.There was no damage at all but the attendant seen all 5 of us getting out of the Cosworth and called the Police, when they got there they asked who was driving and promptly breathalised him, which he failled.

He was wipped off to Salford nick and another Policeman drove his car back to the station for him( we where all p#ssed) when his solicitor arrived within 2 hours he was out as the Petrol station forecourt is classed as private land and not under the rules of the highway.

It was a lesson we ALL learnt but he was lucky he got away with it as the traffic cop we spoke to at the station said he would have waited until he drove onto the road and had him for DD.
Old 31 January 2005, 05:11 PM
Livewire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
for hitting someones car (mine) in a car park and then driving away without exchanging insurance details?

my poor door crumpled like paper! i know who it was cos i recognise him plus his paint on my door!

Get a few mates, go round his house and crumple his face
Old 31 January 2005, 05:35 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

The carpark may be classed as "other public place", if it's say a supermarket etc....in which case he can be had up for fail to stop/report an RTI...at the end of the day, report it, let the courts decide if they think it's a public place....precedent is how our legal system works......
Old 31 January 2005, 05:36 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Of course having said that, you only need to give insurance details if someone was injured.....
Old 31 January 2005, 06:13 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Smile

dont tell the thieves that your cars not insured on private land or car parks...load of tosh your car is insured be it on private land or car park.it may not be covered by traffic laws etc but negligence to others users is easily proved and compensation to be paid accordingly.
Old 31 January 2005, 06:16 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Mine was hit in a Car Park. I had witnesses to the hit and run. The guy was caught and got 5 points and a £250 fine.