Sponsored by:

Which recovery service??

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2005, 10:58 AM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which recovery service??

Right, seeing as I have owned Impreza's for the last 5-6 yrs, I think I have been pushing my luck somewhat by not being a member of a breakdown/recovery service!!

Question is, which should I join when all I really want is if my car breaks down, they will take me and the car back home wherever I am in the UK??

I am thinking AA/RAC mainly as they are the biggest companies.

Thoughts??
Old 24 January 2005, 11:56 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by PICKLE
Right, seeing as I have owned Impreza's for the last 5-6 yrs, I think I have been pushing my luck somewhat by not being a member of a breakdown/recovery service!!

Question is, which should I join when all I really want is if my car breaks down, they will take me and the car back home wherever I am in the UK??

I am thinking AA/RAC mainly as they are the biggest companies.

Thoughts??
Pickle

I could not get my STi RA to start @ 0815hrs this morning (Monday), rang the RAC @ 0820hrs, they were with me 10 minutes later

Problem - flat battery in my immobiliser key fob (not car battery as I thought).

RAC have been very very very very helpful to me over that past 12 months (Shropshire area).

Richard
Old 24 January 2005, 12:00 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Who are you insured with James?

Im with Liv Vic and have my breakdown recovery with them. Very good and cheap too. I would shop around mate, people like tesco etc probably do it now and will be cheaper for sure.
Old 24 January 2005, 12:15 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Who are you insured with James?

Im with Liv Vic and have my breakdown recovery with them. Very good and cheap too. I would shop around mate, people like tesco etc probably do it now and will be cheaper for sure.

Yep but people like tescos etc dont have there own vans.They use the local tom/dick/harry bloke in the area you happen to break down. If you want good service pay the little extra and go with the rac or aa.

My vote goes for the aa mainly cos i work for them.
Old 24 January 2005, 12:31 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

I have scouted around abit, and found the cover I need with the AA. £87 per year direct debit, this will cover me for them to transport me and car home.

This is all I am really after, as I will prob fix the car myself anyway, If it does go wrong!

Any Better deals??

As said, I would rather go for one of the bigger companies, so as I will have someone there quickly no matter whereabouts in the UK I am at the time.
Old 24 January 2005, 01:34 PM
RichA
Scooby Regular

RAC are the best, IMO. Staff are time-served and not just taken on and trained up...

Cheapest deal you'll get with them can be found here, IMO.

--Rich
Old 24 January 2005, 01:50 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

In my experience none of the firms are better than any of the others. RAC and AA might use their own vans but what happens when they are busy? They use a local garage. If all you want is recovery you might as well go for the cheapest. After all your original journey is wrecked anyway!

I have found Green Flag to be good, parents use Brittania and they have been excellent, CSMA membership gets you stunningly cheap option with one company. My Impreza is covered by Subaru Assistance operated by Mondial. When mine broke down even though it was ony a mile to the nearest delaer the guy that came out sid "I can't tow you to the garage, as too much risk of damage from the bar to the spoiler, you'll need a total lift". How many other breakdown people would have risked that tow?
Old 24 January 2005, 02:22 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Pickle, do you really want recovery to home, what about recovery to a garage if need be? Some also have restriction on how far they will take you, so if you breakdown at the other end of the country, will they take you all the way home for no charge?

I will be using the comprehensive one from Green Flag.
Old 24 January 2005, 02:47 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

This is the service I was thinking of joining. It states that if we cannot fix your car by the side of the road, we will transport you/passengers and vehicle to a destination of your choice! RELAY option.
In my case this would be home!. I am attending a rolling road day soon you see, and want to take every possibility into consideration!

https://www.aamembership.co.uk/break...option.asp?o=2
Old 24 January 2005, 02:56 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

session expired!

Just think of a worst case scenario and ensure its covered.
Old 24 January 2005, 03:43 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

I have need the AA to recover my car 3 times in the last week. Each time they have been absolutely marvellous. I can't recommend them enough.

Martin
Old 24 January 2005, 04:05 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Whoever you use you need them to cover you for Euro use too, for when you come to the ring with me this year

I have had a free ride home from Belguim twice now and can recommend it 100%
Old 24 January 2005, 05:05 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

im in the AA as they also cover my bike on the same policy so even that can be transported home if needs be
Old 24 January 2005, 05:06 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Gary. May do, need to think it over a little more
Old 24 January 2005, 05:14 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Try here I got some very cheap cover.....
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/RoadsideRescue
Old 24 January 2005, 07:32 PM
patrolman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation aa

i am an aa patrol so bias.
with us you get a replacment car 4 24hrs
you will need to carry your driving licence and credit card 4 deposit.
as you have a 4x4 you will need roadside & relay 85 quid
as u cannot flet tow soobs
but anything is better than nothing.....
Old 24 January 2005, 07:34 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Greenflag Euro Plus.

FULL UK & Euro Cover, All in £130 p/a

IIRC AA europe wont cover 50k's radius of Nurburgring.

http://www.greenflag.co.uk/breakdown/coversummary.html
Old 24 January 2005, 08:27 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

i went for GEM through the moneysupermarket link above
35 quid for full recovery
Have read a few favourable reviews on other forums, from people who have broken down

at the end of the day i doubt i wil ever have to use it

As for the RAC being the best as mentioned above, il always remeber watchdaog doing a test
think out of about 20 RAC patrols, a third advised to change the car battery unnecessarily
whata complete con
Old 24 January 2005, 08:34 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
In my experience none of the firms are better than any of the others. RAC and AA might use their own vans but what happens when they are busy? They use a local garage. If all you want is recovery you might as well go for the cheapest. After all your original journey is wrecked anyway!

I have found Green Flag to be good, parents use Brittania and they have been excellent, CSMA membership gets you stunningly cheap option with one company. My Impreza is covered by Subaru Assistance operated by Mondial. When mine broke down even though it was ony a mile to the nearest delaer the guy that came out sid "I can't tow you to the garage, as too much risk of damage from the bar to the spoiler, you'll need a total lift". How many other breakdown people would have risked that tow?
When i called the aa a few years ago they were busy and sent a muppet out from a contract company to me who turned up 3 hours after i called them! I complained to the aa and got my membership free the year after Been with them 9 years now and the few other times ive called them out they have been excellent.
Old 24 January 2005, 08:48 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jfrf
i went for GEM through the moneysupermarket link above
35 quid for full recovery
Have read a few favourable reviews on other forums, from people who have broken down

at the end of the day i doubt i wil ever have to use it

As for the RAC being the best as mentioned above, il always remeber watchdaog doing a test
think out of about 20 RAC patrols, a third advised to change the car battery unnecessarily
whata complete con
I'm with GEM, have been for years and never used them until I got the Saxo (first name terms with the dispatcher now).. The MAIN upside: you don't have to wait for one of their mechanics to be free, they send a representative from the nearest recovery garage on their list, or if you know one closer you can arrange it yourself. The ONLY downside: you have to be able to pay for the recovery yourself initially, all monies are then refunded by return post when you send off a form. All in all excellent, they cover every eventuality, they will put you up for the night if you're too far away to recover sensibly that night, they'll get your car home and your passengers if you feel unwell and you're the driver. You're covered not the car so doesn't matter what you're in you'll never be stuck by the side of the road again. They've never questioned my requests for payment despite using it 4 times in a month. Superb.
Old 24 January 2005, 08:51 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PICKLE
Gary. May do, need to think it over a little more

Fly over with us mate ........ cost about £50 for the ticket, cant go wrong matey
Old 24 January 2005, 09:01 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I got this years RAC cover for £68 Rescue Recovery and at home. Not had to use them since I got rid of the Coswoof but when I did need them then they were great.