Sponsored by:

higher mileage cars--purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2005, 10:12 AM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default higher mileage cars--purchasing

Me again...back on the trail of a scooby...

Anyways, would you be put off a higher mileage car, the one i'm looking at is 99 v, uk car non-modified but it has 82000 miles on it but with full service history.

What sort of problems can you expect to get at this age of an engines life or should the fsh have sorted things out?

Many Thanks

Rick
Old 22 January 2005, 10:42 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Rubber parts, suspension, bearings etc

Engine's should generally last long, 82000 miles is nothing for a modern engine, but you might start getting other 'niggly' problems (or failures)
Old 22 January 2005, 10:47 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

I have a mate who bought the same age car with 90k.
His scooby has full history and runs/drives superb.

Just bear in mind that cambelts are changed every 45k so one will be due @ 90k.
Bank on a new cambelt in your budget.(around £200 fitted)

I wouldnt let it put you off in the slightest.

Old 22 January 2005, 10:47 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

these engines are very strong 82000 miles is not much for an engine like that

full service history and standard id say the car will do another 82000 miles or more without any major problems unless you begin to mod it hard

i have a my99 with 130000 miles on the clock, still pulls like a train and idles like a pussycat (ive modded it a bit)

cheers
Old 22 January 2005, 12:39 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

mmmm it all depends on the way it's been treated. I've had my fingers burned twice with high mileage hot hatches (and lost around £15k in the process).

I think any car can handle 100k but you don't know whether its been hammered from completley cold which to me is just as big a killer as dodgy servicing.

I say trust your instincts... I daren't buy 2nd hand anymore (which is why I ended up with a blob eye when I really prefer the classics)
Old 22 January 2005, 12:58 PM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

had a look at the car and it does have fssh and has had a new bottom end fitted about 18k ago. It has one or two minor cosmetic faults but nothing that would bother me. The only thing was a badly scuffed n/s/r alloy and also the rear bumper on the n/s it didnt have any reflection to the paintwork unlike the rest of the car so may indicate a spray job which could be hiding previous damage. Either way i'm not going to pursue this one and my hunt continues.
Old 22 January 2005, 01:01 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Don't worry about scuffed alloys - my car is well loved/looked after, has only done 5k miles and has quite badly scuffed ns alloys (did them when the car was 2 days old )
Old 22 January 2005, 02:04 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

Its best to be picky as there are loads of Imprezas for sale..
I personally wouldnt use mileage as my buying guide.
I`d look for a car that someone has owned for a while and has been serviced at the same garage etc.
Someone who keeps all receipts etc, general car condition is the most important thing.

Old 22 January 2005, 02:29 PM
met
Scooby Regular

yep ditto the above hte only thing id say also is that wagons seem to have an easier life in the main, mine a my97 with nearly 90k & is as good as new, my lst my98 car had about 110 both with full service too,
Old 22 January 2005, 02:45 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have an MY00 with 85,000 on the clock, plus modded, no probs and we also have a MY00 Forester S-Turbo with 135,000 on the clock, and thats had a hard life but still no probs. Regular services and keep on top of the niggles.
Run forever.
Old 22 January 2005, 02:46 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i bought a my99 uk from a garage it had car full subaru sh even spoke with the dealer that had serviced it. They said it had everthing it ever needed. then spoke with the previous owner who confirmed everthing the garage said he even told me same.

it took 11 days for it to blow up it had less miles than the one you are looking at by 6k. so in the end you pay your money and you take you chances
Old 22 January 2005, 02:51 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

but its had a new bottom end 18k ago.
so forget the mileage

I have a 99 with in excess of 300 brake and 100k miles, at least with higher mileage you know its been used (tried and tested) rather than some pansy-arsed car thats only ever polished and done 5k.

mileage these days means so much less than it used too, but pepole still have this misconception that a car must be better if its got next to f-all miles on it.
au contraire I say
Old 22 January 2005, 03:04 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Mine's into the 90ks now (MY99) and is as sweet as a nut.... full service history. When I bought it it had 72k on it. Almost immediately it developed a MAF problem and both front and rear discs and pads needed doing within the year. Since then not a single thing has gone wrong with it, touch wood. Look out for any suspicion of rough idle when warmed up.
Old 22 January 2005, 03:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best used cars are the Wagons

Generally not thrashed, disappear in the car-park

Not a RoadRage target or a Car Hi-Jack target either

Buy with FSSH and a UK car

Mileage isn't an issue with regular 6 months oil changes

Buy an Un-Modded car - less likely to have been thrashed to within an inch of its mechanical life

Buy a NON-TRACKED car

Buy a 1 owner

And you are putting all the cards in YOUR hands!!

Pete
Old 22 January 2005, 03:40 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

i might add that i live in Denmark and there are about 35 registred imprezas (turbos) in the whole of the country

so one could imagine that its pretty hard to get hold of one, ive had 3 imprezas one of them was a gl company car

i then in 2002 had the chance to buy a my98 (only one for sale in denmark)

so i had to make up my mind to buy it or not since obviously other would queue up to buy it

i did it.. modded with induction kit high flow sports cat and mapped for 280 bhp

bought it without inspection since it was a dealer and was in the other end of the country, burned a hole in piston 3 while driving it home...

called the dealer from celluar and he started being a ***** imidietly.. anyway long story got him to take car back and got my money back.. lost some money on it

anyway thats how it goes with a country with very little imprezas for sale

a classic my99 is sold for 25000-28000 pounds in denmark.. yes you heard right

getting slaughtered by the goverment with car taxes..

i finally got hold of a my99 standard at a dealer, again very few for sale and those for sale are modded.. im not going there again

car had one owner full service history (owner Brittish guy who worked in denmark) had some cosmetic dents, paintwork had lost its glimmer, took it for a drive and made a deal that if he straightend out the dents and re sprayed the whole car i would buy it (24000 pounds) 105000 miles on the clock

i know im crazy but i love imprezas

had it for more then a year now modded it with ninja backbox decat middle section, panel filter recently all pads and discs changed, and it pulls like a train no noise from gearbox, doesnt use much oil etc. a smooth ride..

although last week after a hard run with an audi it stated to idle up and down almost stalling, checked maf and cleaned it, cleaned the TPS which was very sotty.. reset the ecu and its back to normal runs even better, think the ecu learned the mods now, its been mapped for 98 ron

so you can be lucky to get a good deal, and in the UK its pennys i understand for a classic since the market is flooded with them

there is one MY05 peter solberg edition II for sale in the whole of denmark (dealer my good friend)

and its costs.. hang on now... 62000 pounds in Denmark

bye for now

Last edited by ReggieMY99; 22 January 2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 22 January 2005, 07:46 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

....so what would someone pay me for my Classic Uk turbo with 48,000 miles on the clock with a Sti 5 high rear spoiler, P1 front splitter, full decat with afterburner backbox, sti filter and tek3 remap if i took it over to Denmark?
....at least £20 K ??!!!
...how much i wonder to get it changed to left hand drive. I'd sell at that price.
Old 22 January 2005, 07:58 PM
antera309
Scooby Regular

My 01 WRX has over 100k on it and it rides like a dream. Still on its original clutch, so I KNOW it hasn't been routinely thrashed.

Full service history, (with a cambelt change every 40,000 miles) is ESSENTIAL.