Tales of total lunacy

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2005, 09:41 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tales of total lunacy

Morning all.

No doubt we all come across or get victimised by a complete idiot once in a while... thankfully nothing too serious this morning but it did make my blood boil!

Gently pootling through Windsor and Ascot in the morning traffic and I have a Volvo saloon of some specification behind me... not up my bum or anything so we're all enjoying our trips to work.

A certain mini roundabout in Ascot splits into two lanes as you approach it so that a lot of traffic can go off to the right. As the chap in front uses the left lane to go over, so do I as I do every day but the Volvo behind seems to be coming up a bit quick and looks like he's taking the right hander. What then happens (all in a matter of seconds of course) is that I'm going around this roundabout whilst also keeping an eye on this Volvo... to find he's going straight over as well.

Considering that he's always been behind me, to make matters worse, he then chooses to horn me as he gets too close to my rear quarter... continues to horn me as he's along side... and forces me to swerve out of the way and stop so that we don't touch. He just kept going as if I wasn't even there.

FFS!!! I only picked up my MY00 Turbo on Saturday and I haven't been subjected to such a moronic act of driving in years! What a complete to55er! There was absolutely no need to drive at speed into a mini roundabout and put us both at risk.

Needless to say my blood was boiling but whilst I'm happy to keep an eye on the criminal ahead, I never drive wrecklessly to catch-up. Later on mind I spy him on the M3 as he's about to turn off. With a downchange and a quick blast I catch him up and pull along side... horning him in return. D'you know what, he didn't even react. A horn in any situation makes any decent driver look around to see what's what... his head was just fixed forwards. Muppet. One of those low-lifes who don't actually realise there's a world still going on outside their car.

Needless to say as I began to over take whilst still horning him, I presented him with my digit... not that he saw it.

Ah yes, it's nice to get into work with a smile rather than twisted metal.

Any more for any more..? I'm sure you've got some juicy ones to tell.

Jonts.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:00 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

I catch him up and pull along side... horning him in return. D'you know what, he didn't even react. A horn in any situation makes any decent driver look around
As youve probavly reraslised by no, the Impreza has one of the tinniest wimpish horns around. Hence why he probably never reacted
Old 12 January 2005, 10:08 AM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
As youve probavly reraslised by no, the Impreza has one of the tinniest wimpish horns around. Hence why he probably never reacted
apart from mine..... which had twin air-horns fitted..... god i couldnt live with that......
Old 12 January 2005, 10:19 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

That happens to me about twice a month on one of my local roundabouts.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:43 AM
blueone
Scooby Regular

I think what happens is that Scoob owners are aware of how fast their cars can be and as a consequence when taking it easy they may tend to drive slower (off boost) than they would if in any other lesser car in the same circumstance.
Old 12 January 2005, 11:11 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Quite possibly, but...

Originally Posted by blueone
I think what happens is that Scoob owners are aware of how fast their cars can be and as a consequence when taking it easy they may tend to drive slower (off boost) than they would if in any other lesser car in the same circumstance.
Yeah, I agree that an element of dawdling can lead to frustration sometimes and cause people to want to overtake in the wrong places, etc, but this wasn't the case this morning... nor at other times when people just do totally absurd things... and somehow think it's not their fault!

The road in question is a single, national speed road which drops to a 40 zone before the r'bout. Get the car in position and you can take the r'bout without losing too much speed (or traction!) and I can do this in my Scoob as well as my MR2 now.

The idiot this morning was just that -- more than likely unable to comprehend road conditions (greasy), other road users (there was a steady stream of cars), and how to be curteous. Then in a vain attempt to improve on his own disfunctionalities he found it much easier to just horn and keep forcing his car into a situation rather than just back off and remember that I was on the r'bout first and in front of him.

I can be thankful that I just had to be lucky once with this, whereas the other party needs to be lucky all the time. If he's that dumb behind the wheel then one day he'll have an incident with the wrong person who won't be quite forgiving as me and who might physically teach him the error of his ways, with any luck.

Crikey, my blood's still very warm even now! LOL!

Jonts.
Old 12 January 2005, 11:30 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Time to buy a nice loud horn so that those in double glazed cars can hear you
Old 12 January 2005, 11:35 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
As you've probably realised by now, the Impreza has one of the tinniest wimpish horns around. Hence why he probably never reacted
Now with proper spelling
Old 12 January 2005, 11:38 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same at a roundabout half a mile from my work. Both lanes can go straight on, but it very quickly turns to 1 lane on the other side of the rnd abt. The divs gun it round your off side and just swerve infront of you. I always though my Scoob didn't help matters, but a nice lady in a 54 plate Pug did it to me yesterday in my bloody Bora !
Its not easy but I stop myself from reacting now, I could drive for 200 yds door handling but hey, life is far to short for all that, i just chill and pull back laughing at them
Old 12 January 2005, 02:10 PM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

Have had several drivers take objection to the fact that after overtaking them on a dual carriageway I don't speed after entering a 30 zone and insist on following a foot behind and weaving.

I know that my car is quick and I enjoy giving it some but that doesn't mean I have to drive like a prXXk around town what are they tryng to prove? "oh yeah mate I had a Scooby the other day"

Young lads in 2 litre Vectras seem to be the worst. (And before you ask I am not a moaning old grandad I'm 23)
Old 12 January 2005, 02:22 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by VWscooby
Have had several drivers take objection to the fact that after overtaking them on a dual carriageway I don't speed after entering a 30 zone and insist on following a foot behind and weaving
quite satisfying tho isn't it...
Old 12 January 2005, 04:34 PM
New_scooby_04

Have had several drivers take objection to the fact that after overtaking them on a dual carriageway I don't speed after entering a 30 zone and insist on following a foot behind and weaving.
Happens all the time mate, that's why I don't bother overtaking people much anymore, unless I know I won't have to slow down anytime soon!

Young lads in 2 litre Vectras seem to be the worst. (And before you ask I am not a moaning old grandad I'm 23)
Must be junior reps....just pity them...forced to drive a Vectra; they must have done something very bad in a previous life!!

Best wishes,
Old 12 January 2005, 04:51 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Very similar experience going to Festival place in Basingstoke, d**k head was in a ST220, obviously not too bright as we both ended up going into the car park one behind the other, he had to stop at the ticket barrier, so I got out, never seen anybody fumble for a ticket as much as him, he sped of almost knocking the barrier down as he did.
So I just calmly got back in the Scoob, parked and did my shopping, I could of course have watched were he parked and taken revenge on his car, but that would lower me to his level.
Basically the world is full of intollerant idiots, I just felt good enough he nearly s**t himself when I approached, and the fact I have a much quicker and far more capable car than him.

Ian..