Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colour coding - but what about the door handles?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2000, 06:04 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am thinkinkg of colour coding the wing mirrors, skirts and dorr handles of my MY99.

I mentioned this to my dealer, who said that it was no probelm (at a price ) but they had had problems inthe past coding the handles and they have stoppped doing it.

Anyone had experience of this?

Cheers
Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter L (edited 09 August 2000).]
Old 09 August 2000, 08:14 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was told the same thing by my dealer on my 98MY. They made a superb job of the mirrors and skirts £300 all in .

The problem with handles seems to be easy to scratch with finger nails and flaking / cracking due to continually use of the handles.

Needless to say the next ten posters will tell that they have had theirs done and have experienced no such problems .

Cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 09 August 2000).]
Old 09 August 2000, 08:16 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Peter,

I had my door handles colour coded by a friend who is a painter, and initialy had a few problems with the drivers door handle occasionally not springing back into place. They now however seem fine, whether thats to do with me getting used to them or that they have worn themselves into working I don't know.

What I will say though is that the car looks a million times better and I still think I made the right choice in getting them done

SimonM
Old 09 August 2000, 09:38 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Smile

Peter,

Chris is probably right. Had the skirts, mirrors and handles coded on my DB 99MY when I purchased. I think it was £500 all in.

Thinking about it though, when Ifirst ordered the car and we were discussing colour coding, the sales rep did say that it wasn't easy - I seem to remember that it appeared a half hearted attempt to discourage me - why I dont't know.

The front passenger side has chipped a bit recently, but I've had trouble with the colour - seems there are problems matching it! There are some posts in the archives about these problems. All other three are OK though.

For my money if you are going to have colour coding done, it all needs to be done.

Matt
Old 09 August 2000, 09:51 PM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Peter,

I have a WRX, which as far as I know come with colour coded door handles as standard (at least from 1994). Mine are fine, so how is it the Japanese can do it and UK dealers have problems? Maybe some of the guys who own imports can shed some light on this (apart from me). I colour coded the skirts to match and the car looks brilliant now! I say go for it!

Kevin
Old 09 August 2000, 10:48 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

I've got a WRX and everything seems colour coded - handles, mirror and skirts. I bought it new so I assumed it came out of the factory that way.

bkar
Old 09 August 2000, 11:43 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there,
I got my mirrors, side/rear skirts colour coded last March and it looks amazing (10 times better than before ) , but I too wanted my door handles done. The Paintshop where i take my car said that it wouldn't be a problem, but because of the compund they are made of, and the fact that they would be rubbed everytime the door was opened, they weren't sure if the paint would stay on and thought it may come off.
Well , I opted in the end just to keep the door handles back as they had my car for a few weeks and I wanted it back as soon i got home ( I was living in America at the time while all this went on back here )
Ian
Old 10 August 2000, 01:16 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

had my handles done a few months ago: no problems, lovely job by the dealer. £320 (ex-VAT) for mirrors, side & rear skirts and handles.
Old 10 August 2000, 01:29 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

There's a simple answer to this problem, why not buy 2000MY handles from the Parts Dept that are factory colour coded.

As long as you have a newish car so the colour is still current you will have no probs. Not sure if it is cost effective over having them sprayed mind.

Old 10 August 2000, 05:51 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Question

Skipjack

I notice you're from London.
Which dealer did the painting for you?

Peter
Old 11 August 2000, 05:24 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Peter,

REO Motors, Leicester - the outsourced bodyshop for Heritage Subaru/Isuzu. Ask for Rob. Go there direct now for any body stuff as there's no dealer margin to pay.

If you need a London one, try Ace Kensington: the bodyshop's off-site in Acton W13, just off the Uxbridge Road. Also v.good.

In fact, to all Scooby Doobers in the Leicester/Birmingham area: don't go to your dealer for dinks, dents, paint etc - go to REO and save some spons.