Sponsored by:

New 2nite HELP on ICE and SECURITY

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2004, 08:17 PM
scooby.reed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New 2nite HELP on ICE and SECURITY

Just wanted to say hi 2 ever1 out ther as I have just registered with Scoobynet (5mins ago for 1st time........Virgin!)

couple of things really. Ive just bought a gorgeous New Age Jap STi 7 and wondered if people can let me know if I should go for a good alarm system (or buy a Clifford sticker fro windows and a wire yourself LED to fool those who need their ********* removing) or shoud I go straight for a Tracker type system?

beyond this can anyone tell me if hey have an Alpine sat nav system and how easy are they to fit? does anyone run a sub in the boot and what does that sound transfer like compared to having one in a hatchback.

any help would be greatly appreciated and hellot o all members out there

oh how do you add one of them little icons at the bottom?
Old 03 November 2004, 08:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Welcome to the madhouse and congratulations on your purchase. Top quality security is ESSENTIAL on Scoobies. You'll need a minimium of a Thatcham cat one alarm and immobiliser, together with a good disclok and -personally- I'd go for a Blackjax anti hijacking device as opposed to a Tracker. It's better to stop the scum getting away with your car in the first instance rather than trying to recover it when they do. Total cost approx £400-500.

Can't really advise on the ICE i'm afraid, but spend your money on the security first!

Best wishes and enjoy the car!
Old 03 November 2004, 08:26 PM
scooby.reed
Scooby Regular

Chhers mate I'll go for the Clifford then as thats a blackjax. Got a disklock (had it 12 years) thanx for the reply

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Welcome to the madhouse and congratulations on your purchase. Top quality security is ESSENTIAL on Scoobies. You'll need a minimium of a Thatcham cat one alarm and immobiliser, together with a good disclok and -personally- I'd go for a Blackjax anti hijacking device as opposed to a Tracker. It's better to stop the scum getting away with your car in the first instance rather than trying to recover it when they do. Total cost approx £400-500.

Can't really advise on the ICE i'm afraid, but spend your money on the security first!

Best wishes and enjoy the car!
Old 03 November 2004, 08:37 PM
New_scooby_04

Ah, it gets a bit complicated there I'm afraid, Clifford alarms that feature an integrated Blackjax aren't thatcham approved. The problem is that thatcham can't quite get their act together regarding deciding on policy over devices that immobilse a car that is running. Without this, your insurance company may refuse to cover you.The perfect solution is to get a thatcham approved alarm and immobiliser and then get blackjax as an add-on to it! That des not pressent problems for Thatcham.
Old 03 November 2004, 09:02 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by scooby.reed
Just wanted to say hi 2 ever1 out ther as I have just registered with Scoobynet (5mins ago for 1st time........Virgin!)

couple of things really. Ive just bought a gorgeous New Age Jap STi 7 and wondered if people can let me know if I should go for a good alarm system (or buy a Clifford sticker fro windows and a wire yourself LED to fool those who need their ********* removing) or shoud I go straight for a Tracker type system?

beyond this can anyone tell me if hey have an Alpine sat nav system and how easy are they to fit? does anyone run a sub in the boot and what does that sound transfer like compared to having one in a hatchback.

any help would be greatly appreciated and hellot o all members out there

oh how do you add one of them little icons at the bottom?
sat nav is not to bad to fit but i recomend getting pro to do it, as i have a 03 wrx the sud queston yes they dont sound as good mainly because of the rear bulk head and because of its shape you cant get a great sound out of it unless your going to buy the proper gear ie. apline is great for this due to its great sound options (bass engine pro etc...) and you should go for at least 1 12 sub that cost over £150 (alpine) (JL audio) (rockford) (JBL) are who i would rec for subs, im running to rockfords 1 punch and 1 ltd ed punch dvc running with 2 fairly old amps but reliable sub on a MTX roadthunder 240 ( build by leading chap from rockford) and a calibre ca 100 running 4 titainum tweeter and the head unit running the rest, and it sounds great can be heard around 1 mile away at high vol and a fairly quite night
Old 03 November 2004, 09:22 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Scoobynet, nice choice of car. BUT, if you can afford a JDM STI 7 then you should be able to afford a proper CAT1 alarm, they can be fitted from about £250. The Clifford Concept range seems to get good reviews but no personal experience. TSL fit an excellent gearbox lock which will deter all but the most determined thieves, very easy to use too.

Click on Smilies (bottom left) to get "one of them little icons "
Old 03 November 2004, 10:00 PM
STI4ME
Scooby Regular

Hi, and welcome!

Firstly, you want to be getting a Cat1 alarm/imob' on that thing like, yesterday. I personally used to favour Clifford, but more recently have heard a lot of opinion to suggest that they're too complicated for their own good. Comes down to personal preference I guess, so keep asking around, but check Sigma/Toad as well. A BlackJax anti-hijack device can always be added as an extra if you want it. Tracker/Trackstar is a good idea if you're going to want to see the car again if it does go missing. Again, its personal preference, but whilst you may not want it back if it gets nicked, you're better off getting it after 1h than 24h! Finally, re. subs in the boot, yes, the sound'll come through jussssttttt fine!
Old 03 November 2004, 10:44 PM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

Ah, it gets a bit complicated there I'm afraid, Clifford alarms that feature an integrated Blackjax aren't thatcham approved. The problem is that thatcham can't quite get their act together regarding deciding on policy over devices that immobilse a car that is running. Without this, your insurance company may refuse to cover you.The perfect solution is to get a thatcham approved alarm and immobiliser and then get blackjax as an add-on to it! That des not pressent problems for Thatcham.
They can still be Thatcham approved even if they have the integrated Blackjax (my Concept 500 was Thatcham approved) however, the Thatcham approval does not include use of the Blackjax feature!
Old 04 November 2004, 11:17 AM
New_scooby_04

TeknoBod,

Really? That's strange, if its integrated you'd think that Thatcham would refuse to recognise the whole thing! Oh well, that makes life easier re: insurance! :-)

Best.
Old 04 November 2004, 11:42 AM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

TeknoBod,

Really? That's strange, if its integrated you'd think that Thatcham would refuse to recognise the whole thing! Oh well, that makes life easier re: insurance! :-)

Best.
I can't figure that one out either fella, but having the Blackjax feature available is always useful.

Andy