Back to the Scoobys

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 10:35 PM
The Welshman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to the Scoobys

Hey folks,
New member here, the name is Keith, and I hope to chat with you all sometime soon....
IUp to about 18 monthes ago I ran a 1999 ukScoob... Now I have been offered a 2001 turbo wagon, for just under 11K. Is that a decent price, and if so, what is the wagon like compared to the saloon. I really need the estate style cos I have to sometimes carry a bass amp around for gigs etc.
Any advice would be very welcome...
Cheers mates
Keith...The Welshman
Old 19 October 2004, 12:52 PM
The Welshman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Welshman
Hey folks,
New member here, the name is Keith, and I hope to chat with you all sometime soon....
IUp to about 18 monthes ago I ran a 1999 ukScoob... Now I have been offered a 2001 turbo wagon, for just under 11K. Is that a decent price, and if so, what is the wagon like compared to the saloon. I really need the estate style cos I have to sometimes carry a bass amp around for gigs etc.
Any advice would be very welcome...
Cheers mates
Keith...The Welshman
Hey folks,
Someone here must have some experience of the 5door turbo, so surely someone can give me some idea of what they are like compared to the saloon impreza turbos..I have heard that the handling is no-where like as good, and that being heavier, they are a fair whack slower? true or not... Also presumably the same mods would work well on the 5 door, as the motors are i believe the same?
Thanks people....
Keith
Old 19 October 2004, 02:00 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Welcome.

the 5 door saloons are heavier about 30-40kg from memory. If this is a newage "bugeye" car it will be slower and heavier than the "classic" car you had before, You really need PPP or aftermarket mods to match the performance. Wagons tend to be nosier than the saloon and the narrower rear track would affect handling slightly.

To be honest differince between wagon ann saloon is negligable and the differences in driver expereince would more than make up any difference. Some people on here think wagons are mysteriously faster and for some reason particularly the green ones .

Price seems a bit high as there are lots of bugeye's around you should be able to get one with ppp already fitted for that sort of money.
Old 19 October 2004, 06:54 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I have recently paid £10k for a MY01 wagon but that has 60k miles on it so a bit more for a lower mileage one would be ok especially if it has any extras on it like morrettes etc.

They are certainly different to the classic (I had a UK 96P wagon before) and the handling on the new one is different but still very good. They roll a bit more and you need to set them up slightly differently into a corner but you would soon get used to this.

I find the rev range on the new shape WRX a lot different as the power comes on much higher up the revs but is smooth and seems to keep pulling all the way. In comparison the classic is a bit less civilised and seems to have more mid-range(2000-4000) torque IMHO.

Don't be put off by wagons, they are not much slower and are certainly more practical. They also attract much less 'unwanted attention'
Old 19 October 2004, 07:55 PM
The Welshman
Scooby Regular

Hey folks, and thanks for the help....
I did like the 99 I had, and realise that the 2001 will probably be a lot softer... But for me that would probably be no bad thing... I do need the space, hence the wagon, and i must say that i like the look of them as well.....and have read that the newer models are a bit more civilised, and that is fine by me...as long as they can be tweaked to make it a tad faster accelerating..that will do me fine...
Regarding the price... it is bog standard, one owner, 40k and mint.. also has a full main dealer history... so maybe just under 11k isn't too bad...!!
Thanks again people, it's much appreciated..
Keith
Old 19 October 2004, 11:01 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

A bit more wagon talk here.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=372176

Mark.