Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Picking up my WRX (MY05) on saturday - security/insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2004, 10:50 PM
PO54
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Picking up my WRX (MY05) on saturday - security/insurance?

1st post, 1st Subaru

Bought a new WRX and collecting it on saturday. Been confusing myself with insurance and security all day. Looks like a Tracker is required by 80% of the insurance companies and each company specifies which models are included on their requirement lists. Comparing cheapest quote non-tracker with cheapest quote I've had looks like the tracker will pay for itself in under 4 years - and I plan to keep the car a good 5 years or more. Problem is I don't want to fit the cheapest tracking system to find it's not on the list in 2 or 3 years time. So which one to go for - Tracker brand and which model or one of the other systems? Current cheap quote is from Privelege (Norwich Union are cheapest non tracker) and they have a list of 17 different tracking systems that are allowed. So do I just get the cheapest I can find?

Also, does anyone know why the car is GP19 and the classics are 16? Performance hasn't changed enough to warrant 3 groups and security is better now.

Without me ringing back to confirm, does anyone know if Privelege or NU cover trackdays or mods?

Cheers all
Old 14 October 2004, 11:05 PM
digitaria
Scooby Regular

Cool

FWIW, Admiral were the cheapest by far, for my MY04 WRX and they didn't mandate a Tracker. That was in May.

Enjoy the new car

Originally Posted by PO54
1st post, 1st Subaru

Bought a new WRX and collecting it on saturday. Been confusing myself with insurance and security all day. Looks like a Tracker is required by 80% of the insurance companies and each company specifies which models are included on their requirement lists. Comparing cheapest quote non-tracker with cheapest quote I've had looks like the tracker will pay for itself in under 4 years - and I plan to keep the car a good 5 years or more. Problem is I don't want to fit the cheapest tracking system to find it's not on the list in 2 or 3 years time. So which one to go for - Tracker brand and which model or one of the other systems? Current cheap quote is from Privelege (Norwich Union are cheapest non tracker) and they have a list of 17 different tracking systems that are allowed. So do I just get the cheapest I can find?

Also, does anyone know why the car is GP19 and the classics are 16? Performance hasn't changed enough to warrant 3 groups and security is better now.

Without me ringing back to confirm, does anyone know if Privelege or NU cover trackdays or mods?

Cheers all
Old 15 October 2004, 06:52 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

One word of advice for you

TESCO !!!!!

OK with mods and no tracker required

Jas
Old 15 October 2004, 07:56 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Tesco ,Priveledge, direct line, egg are in essence the same company, you will find the prices and policys virtually identicle, although i did find priveledge £150 cheaper than the others. They all seem to have the same policy on mods.

Tracker monitor is the best choice IMHO considering cost v's features
Old 15 October 2004, 08:01 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

L&V for me - £100 cheaper than people like Privilege but no tracker required. And I was feaful of the fact that in 4-5 years, I'm sure tracking systems would change a fair bit anyway, so was not sure which to buy. In the end, the cost of Tracker or similiar meant I may as well pay the additional £100 for L&V, not worry about mods at all, and I was always aware of the fact that if someone did steal my car, I don't think I'd want it back anyway!!!!
Old 15 October 2004, 08:05 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I suppose i should have added, that i wouldn't have a tracker if i didn't need one for insurance puposes, being 29 means that most of the companies who will insure without a tracker for a decent price wil not look at you . I will be trying L&V next year
Old 15 October 2004, 09:25 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I strongly recommend Clifford Blackjax. Trackers are for the insurance companies peace of mind, Blackjax is for yours. It's good to know that if they take your P&J they won't get very far, even with the keys, meaning you may even be able to recover it yourself avoiding any record of stolen recovered. IIRC it comes for about £230, but I got mine as part of a group buy using Unicar where 30 of us had them fitted in the same month for £130. It was a while ago so there may be enough new interested parties for a new GB.
Old 15 October 2004, 12:33 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agree with carradoboy about the blackjax, but remember that it does invalidate the Thatcham rating of your alarm which the insurance company may not be happy about.
Old 15 October 2004, 12:58 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

GP16 for classics? thought they were 19 too?

Originally Posted by PO54

Old 15 October 2004, 01:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As some cars get older, their insurance rating drops. When I first insured my Corrado it was group 17, now I believe it's 15.
Old 15 October 2004, 01:51 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

I thought classic were group 17, but it's true the new models are 19 .. why, I've no idea. I have an MY05 (previously and MY00 with some mods).

My best quote for MY05 with tracker is £400 (Tesco's) .. Admiral will do it for £508 without Tracker as will Bell Direct (£519) and Elephant (£530).

My MY00 was about £550 with L&V. L&V were needing £630 for my new MY05 as standard.

Still undecided whether to stick a Tracker on my car, obviously it'll cost a bit but will give me some more piece of mind.

Avalyn.
Wonder how Admiral are with mods?
Old 15 October 2004, 09:48 PM
PO54
Scooby Regular

OK, thanks for the replies.

Looks like the Tracker Monitor is the one to get if I go for it. It would have to pay for itself with insurance discounts in 3-4 years or not worth the bother. I'll be ringing Tesco and Admiral for a quote after this......

So far Privelege are cheapest BUT they want a tracker and £520 for me (35, 9years NCB and car on drive) - seems expensive to what others are posting here.

Anyone know about the Cobra 7518 Cat 1 alarm with 4 pin access code required on keyring instead of having a keypad mounted on the dash? Sounds like the Blackjax with an alarm and immobiliser incorporated.

Cheers
Old 15 October 2004, 09:51 PM
PO54
Scooby Regular

....P.S. Bell Direct wanted over 900 quid, Elephant wanted a tracker!
Old 15 October 2004, 10:26 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Whether or not you go for a Tracker I would also buy a Disclock Steering Wheel Lock. They are around seventy quid and come in a few different colours. I have had one on my last three cars. They are a pain in the ar*e to get on and off and also take up room in the car/boot wherever you store it.

I think they are still Thatcham 3 approved?

It is a visible physical deterant and are suppost to be very difficult to get off. (I hope)

Not really an item that will get you any discount on insurance but may stop someone breaking in and having a go at your alarm/imobiliser/tracker!