ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Picking up my WRX (MY05) on saturday - security/insurance? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/370838-picking-up-my-wrx-my05-on-saturday-security-insurance.html)

PO54 14 October 2004 10:50 PM

Picking up my WRX (MY05) on saturday - security/insurance?

1st post, 1st Subaru :)

Bought a new WRX and collecting it on saturday. Been confusing myself with insurance and security all day. Looks like a Tracker is required by 80% of the insurance companies and each company specifies which models are included on their requirement lists. Comparing cheapest quote non-tracker with cheapest quote I've had looks like the tracker will pay for itself in under 4 years - and I plan to keep the car a good 5 years or more. Problem is I don't want to fit the cheapest tracking system to find it's not on the list in 2 or 3 years time. So which one to go for - Tracker brand and which model or one of the other systems? Current cheap quote is from Privelege (Norwich Union are cheapest non tracker) and they have a list of 17 different tracking systems that are allowed. So do I just get the cheapest I can find?

Also, does anyone know why the car is GP19 and the classics are 16? Performance hasn't changed enough to warrant 3 groups and security is better now.

Without me ringing back to confirm, does anyone know if Privelege or NU cover trackdays or mods?

Cheers all

digitaria 14 October 2004 11:05 PM

FWIW, Admiral were the cheapest by far, for my MY04 WRX and they didn't mandate a Tracker. That was in May.

Enjoy the new car :)

Originally Posted by PO54
1st post, 1st Subaru :)

Bought a new WRX and collecting it on saturday. Been confusing myself with insurance and security all day. Looks like a Tracker is required by 80% of the insurance companies and each company specifies which models are included on their requirement lists. Comparing cheapest quote non-tracker with cheapest quote I've had looks like the tracker will pay for itself in under 4 years - and I plan to keep the car a good 5 years or more. Problem is I don't want to fit the cheapest tracking system to find it's not on the list in 2 or 3 years time. So which one to go for - Tracker brand and which model or one of the other systems? Current cheap quote is from Privelege (Norwich Union are cheapest non tracker) and they have a list of 17 different tracking systems that are allowed. So do I just get the cheapest I can find?

Also, does anyone know why the car is GP19 and the classics are 16? Performance hasn't changed enough to warrant 3 groups and security is better now.

Without me ringing back to confirm, does anyone know if Privelege or NU cover trackdays or mods?

Cheers all

Sideways 15 October 2004 06:52 AM

One word of advice for you

TESCO !!!!!

OK with mods and no tracker required :D

Jas

austen_wrx 15 October 2004 07:56 AM

Tesco ,Priveledge, direct line, egg are in essence the same company, you will find the prices and policys virtually identicle, although i did find priveledge £150 cheaper than the others. They all seem to have the same policy on mods.

Tracker monitor is the best choice IMHO considering cost v's features

mightyyid 15 October 2004 08:01 AM

L&V for me - £100 cheaper than people like Privilege but no tracker required. And I was feaful of the fact that in 4-5 years, I'm sure tracking systems would change a fair bit anyway, so was not sure which to buy. In the end, the cost of Tracker or similiar meant I may as well pay the additional £100 for L&V, not worry about mods at all, and I was always aware of the fact that if someone did steal my car, I don't think I'd want it back anyway!!!!

austen_wrx 15 October 2004 08:05 AM

I suppose i should have added, that i wouldn't have a tracker if i didn't need one for insurance puposes, being 29 means that most of the companies who will insure without a tracker for a decent price wil not look at you :(. I will be trying L&V next year :)

corradoboy 15 October 2004 09:25 AM

I strongly recommend Clifford Blackjax. Trackers are for the insurance companies peace of mind, Blackjax is for yours. It's good to know that if they take your P&J they won't get very far, even with the keys, meaning you may even be able to recover it yourself avoiding any record of stolen recovered. IIRC it comes for about £230, but I got mine as part of a group buy using Unicar where 30 of us had them fitted in the same month for £130. It was a while ago so there may be enough new interested parties for a new GB.

Vonzack 15 October 2004 12:33 PM

Agree with carradoboy about the blackjax, but remember that it does invalidate the Thatcham rating of your alarm which the insurance company may not be happy about.

De Warrenne 15 October 2004 12:58 PM

GP16 for classics? thought they were 19 too?

Originally Posted by PO54

corradoboy 15 October 2004 01:40 PM

As some cars get older, their insurance rating drops. When I first insured my Corrado it was group 17, now I believe it's 15.

Avalyn 15 October 2004 01:51 PM

I thought classic were group 17, but it's true the new models are 19 :( .. why, I've no idea. I have an MY05 (previously and MY00 with some mods).

My best quote for MY05 with tracker is £400 (Tesco's) .. Admiral will do it for £508 without Tracker as will Bell Direct (£519) and Elephant (£530).

My MY00 was about £550 with L&V. L&V were needing £630 for my new MY05 :rolleyes: as standard.

Still undecided whether to stick a Tracker on my car, obviously it'll cost a bit but will give me some more piece of mind.

Avalyn.
Wonder how Admiral are with mods?

PO54 15 October 2004 09:48 PM

OK, thanks for the replies.

Looks like the Tracker Monitor is the one to get if I go for it. It would have to pay for itself with insurance discounts in 3-4 years or not worth the bother. I'll be ringing Tesco and Admiral for a quote after this......

So far Privelege are cheapest BUT they want a tracker and £520 for me (35, 9years NCB and car on drive) - seems expensive to what others are posting here.

Anyone know about the Cobra 7518 Cat 1 alarm with 4 pin access code required on keyring instead of having a keypad mounted on the dash? Sounds like the Blackjax with an alarm and immobiliser incorporated.

Cheers

PO54 15 October 2004 09:51 PM

....P.S. Bell Direct wanted over 900 quid, Elephant wanted a tracker!

Mat Mc 15 October 2004 10:26 PM

Whether or not you go for a Tracker I would also buy a Disclock Steering Wheel Lock. They are around seventy quid and come in a few different colours. I have had one on my last three cars. They are a pain in the ar*e to get on and off and also take up room in the car/boot wherever you store it.

I think they are still Thatcham 3 approved?

It is a visible physical deterant and are suppost to be very difficult to get off. (I hope)

Not really an item that will get you any discount on insurance but may stop someone breaking in and having a go at your alarm/imobiliser/tracker!