Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MY04/05 Wagon Wanted - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 01:50 PM
WRXSEY
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New MY04/05 Wagon Wanted - Help Needed!

Have decided after months of thinking (and lots of looking at scoobynet) to get a WRX Wagon and PPP it. Have been more or less put off imports so want a UK car.

Who is doing cheapest deals on new MY05 or would not rule out an MY04 if discount available but gather wagons not plentiful at the moment?? Would ideally like an SL. Short of emailing every scooby dealer (I emailed a few - not very helpful/knowledgeable) can anyone point me in the right direction. Lloyds TSB CarSelect are not quoting at the moment but can I get cheaper that drive the deal price? Are there many new MY04s about looking for a good home?

Plus are the revisions on MY05 worth the difference in cash? Will I be able to put 18inch wheels on an MY05 as Prodrive recommend? Can the standard discs and pads plus clutch cope with the extra bhp? Why dont Subaru offer an STi Wagon? I'd buy one!

Many Thanks
Old 08 October 2004, 02:37 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Not much help .. but you are correct - wagons are hard to come by. Both myself and mightyvid have new MY05's (mine WR Blue, his Crystal Grey and an SL) and we both got good deals .. with some discount ... mine due to a slight dealer oversight. Wouldn't expect any discount now

He wouldn't give me any more off an MY04 even if he'd have managed to get one. I'm sure you could pick up an MY04 cheap as a)the MY05 is out and b) you won't get the 3 year free servicing deal that was on till the 30th Sept

18" wheels will fit, I'm sure someone will say the standard pads/discs are crap but unless you really hashing it they be fine ..

Are the revisions worth it .. errm hard to tell but the interior is much nicer, climate control is nice as standard and I haven't been able to tell whether the inverted struts make any difference to handling ... if the difference between the MY04 and 05 is over a grand the MY04 probably the best one to go for.

Why don't the make an STi wagon, who knows because I'm another who'd have one in a flash

I know Town And County in Perth, Scotland had an MY04 silver wagon last week .. not an SL though.

Avalyn.
Old 08 October 2004, 05:06 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

Holdcrofts Newcastle had a 5 door SL wagon (in blue) in the show room yesterday !!

Its a MY04 - they may offer a discount to get rid !!!

Try to speak to the main man - Dave Brennan

PJA
Old 08 October 2004, 05:49 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Was at Bell & Colvill the other day in Surrey - they had a WR Blue SL wagon MY04 for sale and another one (connot remember) - I asked if they had any MY05 in stock and they said they were not out yet (ie they still had to sell their MY04). I jumped in my MY05 and drove away with a smile on my face, hoping their notice the colour and red calipers.... bet you they didn't!
Deals are there to be had - negotiate hard and you'll get a good deal on an MY04 as they need to sell them...
Old 08 October 2004, 05:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Also I'd phone round dealers, rather than emailing, you'll probably get a quicker response that way.

Avalyn: you say 18" wheels will fit, but have you asked whether the same 18" wheels fit the '05 WRX as fit earlier cars? The '05 STI has a PCD (pitch circle diameter - wheel stud spacing) of 114.3mm, which is different from the 100mm used on every simgle earlier Impreza. I'm not sure whether these larger hubs are making an appearance on the new WRX too.

Best check before you rush out and buy a new set of wheels...
Old 08 October 2004, 10:35 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

I've lost count of how many times I've asked for an Sti wagon. I'll just run my MY03 PPP WRX wagon for a while and then move to back to Audi because they understand fast estate cars better (I know they cost a but more mind you!).
Old 09 October 2004, 04:30 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

AR - did you have an Audi estate (S2/RS2 maybe) and then a Scoob? Looks like you prefered the Audi? Can you elaborate pls? I ask as I just had run in an RS4 as I'm looking at estates; I also just found out there is no such thing as an STi wagon PM me if you feel its a bit off topic

D

PS I love the way the Audi forums all refer to 'stealers' when referencing the dealers. At £1200 for a clutch I cant blame them Scary!
Old 09 October 2004, 04:39 PM
preacha
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up MY04 wagom discounted

The roofer who is working on my house this llast week went to his local Subaru dealer who offered him a new MY04 WRX wagon for £ 18,300.

I thought that was a good price. He was also told he could have one in any colour.

Off hand dont know which dealer he went into - but it must be near his home in Chislehurst
Old 10 October 2004, 11:25 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Diesel

I had a B5 S4 Avant (the V6 biturbo one) and the WRX wagon with all the Prodrive bits is better but I've currently also got a B6 S4 Avant (the V8 one) and its great. Much better than my WRX but the WRX costs over a third less!

I still think that Subaru could offer better kit (largely safety) and quality for the price.

Never driven an RS4 but being a 400 unit only car it has great residuals. However, would you want a three year old RS4 or one year old V8 S4? Thats a decision...........

Sti wagon....why not?
Old 11 October 2004, 08:16 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

AR

Couldn;t agree more. When I looked to changed from my 993 I wanted suitbale performance with space. B5 S4 was obvious as well, and drove a few of them, but the only thing putting me off was the fact that for the same money as a 30,000 miler, I could get a WRX brand new - and with the supposed Audi suspension needing work after about 50-60k, I thought a WRX would be a better bet. Did lve the Audi as a car but the feeling of a new WRX was better than a used Audi.

Wish they did an STi wagon as well but you cannot have everything - that's what PPP is for. Have to say having now done 300 miles in the run in period of my WRX, it is very comfortable and I would say a better ride than the Audi given its new suspecion configuration. I love it at the moment, but then I am not pushing it at the moment given it's been run in. We shall see...
Old 12 October 2004, 02:33 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

AR thanks for the advice m8. Did you pref the NA V8 or the V6 Twin Turbo?

I have had a test spin in a re-mapped RS4 and it was fast and looks great with those big ‘shoulders’. However I doubt that ‘R’ badge is worth twice the S4 cost for same MY... Haven’t driven either unf...

I also think that they will take a tumble in value once the new RS4 is avail mid next year – rich enthusiasts out there will be ditching their ‘old’ RS4’s in droves once the new ones out...

Mate said there was an Sti 6 Wagon, as a good value import Sti wagon might swing it away from Audi’s for me – their stealers charge absolute fortunes – like £1200 for a clutch on an RS4
Old 12 October 2004, 02:40 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

with around 600 scoobs left...

what are the dealers selling them for now?? STI only
Old 12 October 2004, 04:35 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
AR thanks for the advice m8. Did you pref the NA V8 or the V6 Twin Turbo?

I have had a test spin in a re-mapped RS4 and it was fast and looks great with those big ‘shoulders’. However I doubt that ‘R’ badge is worth twice the S4 cost for same MY... Haven’t driven either unf...

I also think that they will take a tumble in value once the new RS4 is avail mid next year – rich enthusiasts out there will be ditching their ‘old’ RS4’s in droves once the new ones out...

Mate said there was an Sti 6 Wagon, as a good value import Sti wagon might swing it away from Audi’s for me – their stealers charge absolute fortunes – like £1200 for a clutch on an RS4
V8 quicker than the V6 if you use the last 2k of revs and much faster around town at <2k revs, otherwise similar. Handling on V8 much much better. Ride worse though. Same mpg as my WRX PPP wagon; ie poor!