Sponsored by:

2005 WRX STi review in Auto Express

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2004, 12:05 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 WRX STi review in Auto Express

Do you get confused by all the different Subaru Imprezas that are available? If so, then you won't be pleased to hear that there's a new one - but this version is important, because it's the official, UK-spec STi. What's more, the range-topper is now more hardcore than ever.

Although it looks almost identical to the current car, mechanically it is very different. Even if you didn't know what the changes were, you'd feel them within seconds of driving off. Those who said the STi had gone soft under the challenge of successive Mitsubishi Evos will see Subaru is back and fighting.

Essentially, this car features suspension changes and electronic aids first seen on the Japan-only Impreza Spec C. The first thing you notice is the drone from the new Bridgestone Potenza tyres and wider wheels, with the sparse treads almost like those of racing rubber. It sounds as if the wheel bearings have worn out, although they have also been enlarged to cope with higher cornering forces. Then you feel how pin-sharp the steering is, how the wheels climb up grooves in the road like an eager puppy, and how the tail steps out the instant you back off in a corner. Only a tiny step out, mind! We can thank a new yaw-rate sensor, which detects the rate of drift in a corner 50 times per second, for this control. Using the sensor's data, the STi adjusts the torque split to 50/50. The adjustment is ultra-quick, too, thanks to a limited-slip front differential which reacts faster and more progressively. So the STi can both turn into a bend as if its life depends on it, and feel stable once in it.

The newcomer's other piece of electronic trickery is the Driver Controlled Centre Differential, or DCCD for short. This overrides the yaw sensor and lets you set your own drive split, using a thumbwheel mounted next to the handbrake. Other changes include a slightly longer wheelbase, discreet lips on the rear arches covering a 15mm-wider rear track, stiffened steering and front suspension mounts and new aluminium suspension arms. These revisions help provide stronger steering self- centring and a better feel of the road.

The wheels are still gold, though, and the vast bonnet scoop and huge rear wing are the same as introduced at the 2003 model-year facelift.

Inside, there's more cloth and a smoother centre console with neater air-conditioning controls, but the ambience remains that of a rally car fresh from the special stages. The car's pace hasn't changed either, with 265bhp of thrust from the turbo flat-four. A revised gearshift makes for a smoother drive, thanks to shorter, more precise movements, and the brakes bite as firmly as ever. But the new-found ability in bends is this STi's key appeal.
Old 09 September 2004, 12:31 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Typical Auto Express first review.... Recycled press release....
Old 09 September 2004, 02:15 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Interesting to see that the new 05 has equal length headers, put still only pumps out 265bhp ?

Surely the headers give more power, so are the UK models being detuned even more to stay with the standard 265 ?
Old 09 September 2004, 02:23 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Yes you would think that with these upgrades and the advances in software, that you would be entitled to a few more horses under the bonnet??

John
Old 09 September 2004, 02:26 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I think you're thinking of the JDM car, which gets the Spec C's equal length headers for '05. AFAIK the UK engine is completely unaltered from the spec which came in the first (MY02) Euro STI.

Meanwhile the '05 JDM car gets equal length headers, improved intercooler, revised intake and exhaust systems, new faster ECU, and thoroughly reworked cylinder heads with AVCS on both intake and exhaust camshafts. All of this is, of course, in addition to the already much updated Japanese-spec engine with its twin scroll turbo.

As a result the JDM engine produces the regulation 276bhp, but with near maximum torque at just 2,500 rpm. A quick look at the curve shows that torque drops off sharply after about 4,500rpm in order to keep the power at 276 - the power curve is quite amazingly flat from this point to the 8000 rpm red line. Naturally a remap removes this artificial cap on power and allows the engine to produce over 300bhp with the standard (quiet) exhaust and filter.
Old 09 September 2004, 09:54 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

MY '05 STI Definitive Spec:

introduction of front helical lsd yaw rate sensor
drivers control centre differential is standard
introduction of cannon mount steering gear box and steering damper
new design 10 spoke 17 x 8jj type alloys
new under floor covers
change in rear bumper/rear wheel arch design to accommodate 8jj type alloys
rear tread stretched by 15 mm
wheel base stretched by 10mm
caster angle increased by 1.25 degrees

colour choices pure white, premium silver,wr blue, obsidian black pearl,crystal grey metallic

HB
Old 09 September 2004, 10:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You missed out the new interior with climate control - otherwise that's pretty accurate. Also DCCD-A is optional, not standard.
Old 10 September 2004, 09:33 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
You missed out the new interior with climate control - otherwise that's pretty accurate. Also DCCD-A is optional, not standard.
Just a simple copy & paste from the dealer's e-mail TBH mate....
Old 10 September 2004, 09:40 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

The Autocar review says that the Subaru burble is missing; hence the reason I asked if the car now had equal length headers.

Seems crazy that the japs fit all this stuff as standard and then go out of their way to remove all these parts and fit lower spec bits for the uk market..
Old 10 September 2004, 10:06 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

The pictures of the 2005 STi that i have seen, the STi badge on the boot lid is not Pink/Cerise, but Red, why is this??
Old 10 September 2004, 10:56 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Seems crazy that the japs fit all this stuff as standard and then go out of their way to remove all these parts and fit lower spec bits for the uk market.
That's EU type approval for you. Change the engine, redo all the certification.

They're not actually removing bits from the car, of course - they're just building different specs for different markets. The rest of the Japanese engine is completely different too - the headers are a little thing by comparison.

The colour of the STI badge on the back is unchanged - although I think it's now pink/black rather than pink/chrome.
Old 10 September 2004, 11:43 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I still don't understand the power thing. When the german big boys are playing BHP games, with 300+ a regular occurence, why can't Subaru have one extra model in the lineup that is 300+ as standard?
Old 10 September 2004, 11:53 AM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrklaw
I still don't understand the power thing. When the german big boys are playing BHP games, with 300+ a regular occurence, why can't Subaru have one extra model in the lineup that is 300+ as standard?

I'm about to put down a deposit on a MY04 STI, anyone know exact date of MY05 becoming available
Old 10 September 2004, 11:58 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

WR1?

I'm not sure whether it's law or just a gentlemens' agreement, but most Japanese performance cars are 276bhp from the factory and no more.

Here's the power/torque curve for the MY05 JDM STI:

See how the torque drops off at high rpm to keep power output virtually constant? That's not an accident, nor is it impossible to fix
Old 10 September 2004, 01:41 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I don't see why subaru can't make the Impreza WRX with 261bhp (same as current STi) and the STI have 300bhp then on top of that you can have the option of the PPP which adds between 40 and 60 bhp then have handling to match. Then Subaru would be in league with the opposition Mitsubishi evo's.

Not sure were the Type 25 would come in tho.
Old 10 September 2004, 02:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Noise & emissions regs, mostly. With PPP fitted, both WRX and STI would fail EU type approval, which is why they have to be fitted after registration. The WR1 was done the same way, except the upgrade was included in the price. Getting all that extra power as standard would take a lot of development and would therefore push the price up.

Type 25 is not a Subaru product, it's sold by Litchfield Imports and built by Powerstation. Its engine is a hybrid between the US-spec STI - which has the 2.5 litre bottom end - and the Japanese-spec STI which has larger ports than the Euro car and can therefore flow more gas.
Old 10 September 2004, 02:05 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andyc 772 I like reading your posts lots of sensible informed detail, at this rate you could turn into the new Grease Monkey LOL

Regards

John
Old 10 September 2004, 02:19 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Don't believe a word of it

I only know all this stuff about the Japanese cars because I've got one on order; Iain Litchfield is the real JDM guru, I'm just passing on the info! While I wait for the car I'm just absorbing every scrap of information I can find about it, and having the brochure for the '05 JDM car helps too
Old 10 September 2004, 02:39 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

I have at present 03 WRX PPP UK car and when I come to change it, would without hesitation go for JDM STI from Litchfields. No point what so ever, not having the real deal and paying top dollar for it. Have done the UK thing with the warranty but the experience from the dealer network nothing special. Having dealt with Powerstation for suspension mods and dealt with them have every confidence from buying from Mr Litchfield when the time comes.
Old 10 September 2004, 03:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
MY '05 STI Definitive Spec:

crystal grey metallic

HB
Interesting
Old 10 September 2004, 04:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Old 10 September 2004, 04:37 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Interesting
Lovely - as per Andy's photo....

Dave - I'm bored with blue, so my next one will be either grey or silver. Whatever it is...
Old 10 September 2004, 04:38 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrJP
I'm about to put down a deposit on a MY04 STI, anyone know exact date of MY05 becoming available
Mid-October, according to my dealer the other day.

That's car dealer, BTW....