Sponsored by:

New 2005 STI tested in Autocar today

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2004, 12:52 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2005 STI tested in Autocar today

The seem to rate the new model and say the chassis setup changes and ride quality are great improvemeents, say they have also gone back to manual IC operation. The new model also has the DCCD that is in the WR1, all sounds very good...

J
Old 07 September 2004, 01:14 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That'll **** all the WR1 owners off then.
Old 07 September 2004, 01:20 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

As per usual Subaru look like they will destroy second hand values of existing cars including the WR1, if the 05 does have DCCD the posibility for 320 PPP.
Old 07 September 2004, 01:28 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

What's the quoted price? The one I saw said that the price had gone up to 26K.
That'd mean that with PPP(2K) 18 inch wheels(2K) and prodrive Spring set(£500) means that the list price is above that of a WR1. Even then you don't get the driving lights.

Tbh, I don't think it'll hit WR1 values that much, esp as there are only 490 odd left. It's the value of the 04 STI that will be hit hardest.
Old 07 September 2004, 01:29 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
As per usual Subaru look like they will destroy second hand values of existing cars including the WR1, if the 05 does have DCCD the posibility for 320 PPP.
I don't think you can blame Subaru (or any other company) for this type of occurance. Its called progress and benefits us all in the long run. As for residual values, if you're that worried about residuals you shouldn't be buying a brand new car in the first place.

I'm sure if you wait until 2006 there will be something better coming along.....so why don't you wait until then ?

In the meantime, I'll continue enjoying my WR1.

Turkey (non pissed off WR1 owner )
Old 07 September 2004, 01:31 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The rest of the world has had DCCD for ages - its introduction to Europe (especially once it had made an early appearance on the WR1) was tediously predictable IMHO.

Having a JDM car on order I'm a bit p*ssed off about it (and the new interior and suspension changes) too - they do take away some of the compelling differences that make an import worthwhile. However, just as I still have my twin scroll turbo and heavily revised engine to enjoy, WR1 owners still get their 320bhp, wheels and... unusual choice of paint job. Plus, WR1 owners have in many cases been enjoying their carsfor months already, whereas the '05 STI won't actually be on people's driveways for a while yet.

Life, as they say, goes on. You don't buy any new car as an investment.
Old 07 September 2004, 01:37 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
why do you say that?
Old 07 September 2004, 01:48 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
What's the quoted price? The one I saw said that the price had gone up to 26K.
That'd mean that with PPP(2K) 18 inch wheels(2K) and prodrive Spring set(£500) means that the list price is above that of a WR1. Even then you don't get the driving lights.

Tbh, I don't think it'll hit WR1 values that much, esp as there are only 490 odd left. It's the value of the 04 STI that will be hit hardest.
Neil

They quote an estimated price of £25995 and to be availlable from Nov. I have just ordered a Type 25 (with the 05 changes) - due for delivery in Dec/Jan, but if i have just ordered the WR1 then i dont think i would be too happy.

J
Old 07 September 2004, 01:56 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo
if i have just ordered the WR1 then i dont think i would be too happy.

J
Why? anybody with half a brain would see the A-DCCD as a logical inclusion in the next MY. It's about time IM brought over the goodies that the Japs have had now for many years.
Old 07 September 2004, 02:04 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo
Neil

They quote an estimated price of £25995 and to be availlable from Nov. I have just ordered a Type 25 (with the 05 changes) - due for delivery in Dec/Jan, but if i have just ordered the WR1 then i dont think i would be too happy.

J
Presumably the T25 has now been reduced in price as the Euro base model includes many of the chassis / drivetrain upgrades as standard?
Old 07 September 2004, 02:12 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

According to my (local-ish) dealer, there is no price increase over the MY04, although dealer margins are being reduced....

The Autocar piece complains about the peaky power delivery - although it makes no mention of the fact that the PPP is available. As though all Autocar readers would realise this....
Old 07 September 2004, 02:35 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

The latest Prodrive map is better than the 03 model.

And JDM cars only had the DCCD since 03 models...

Seeing as a new Impreza is apparantly due in 06/07, the traditional facelift and throw-all-the-goodies on the cars is probably about due isnt it?
Old 07 September 2004, 02:36 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

does the T20/25 have dccd??
Old 07 September 2004, 02:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I doubt very much that the T25 will see a reduction; at the end of the day it's still a Jap import that undergoes an engine rebuild and has to have new suspension, wheels and exhaust fitted - and none of those things have become any cheaper.

Litchfield now lists the '05 JDM car for £27k; add wheels, full exhaust system, 2.5L block and engine rebuild to that and you're pretty close to £34k already. Plus, I doubt very much that there are many T25 buyers who would be swayed by a new Type UK even with its '05 upgrades.

Some would-be JDM STI buyers might be swayed - possibly even me if my car weren't already in the country just awaiting SVA. (Mm.... twin scroll turbo....)
Old 07 September 2004, 02:40 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Yes, T20/T25 have DCCD-A.
Old 07 September 2004, 03:26 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

i really love this sort of thread, its so silly. its all gimmicks and marketing, stuff that you would never need/use on the rd to quantify the purchase
Old 07 September 2004, 03:32 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

What the idea of going back to manual IC spray??? When your playing on the track the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling around for a button
Old 07 September 2004, 03:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
What the idea of going back to manual IC spray??? When your playing on the track the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling around for a button

Tell me about it! I have enough trouble in the bedroom never mind having the same problem on track too!
Old 07 September 2004, 03:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
i really love this sort of thread, its so silly. its all gimmicks and marketing, stuff that you would never need/use on the rd to quantify the purchase
If you'd driven a JDM twin scroll car back-to-back with a UK STI PPP then you wouldn't say that!

Besides, when it comes to resale, the spec list IS important whether your prospective buyer really understands, or would make use of, those features you refer to as 'gimmicks'. Given two otherwise similar cars, why would you NOT buy the one which had DCCD-A etc, unless there was a substantial price difference?

Personally I'd get the toys - partly to use and enjoy, and partly to make the car easier to resell in due course to someone else, who no doubt will be thinking the same way as me. Until the car is of an age when merely still running is a bonus, toys sell.
Old 07 September 2004, 04:17 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Waiting for my type 25, I will not be changing it until the new model comes out and then will probably stay jdm
Old 07 September 2004, 04:37 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sammyh
Waiting for my type 25, I will not be changing it until the new model comes out and then will probably stay jdm
lucky fellah by all accounts! -- How many T25s have been sold now approx?
Old 07 September 2004, 04:51 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Red face

As far as i was aware the new car was to have the twin scoll turbo as opposed to the one in the 03 sti and WR1... I think the perfomace was gained in the wr1 with a more aggressive map and the need for 5k service...
the twin scoll will have the power advantage at the start by using the twin scroll and much better pickup.
I would'nt be too pi$$ed if i had bought a WR1 it was obvious they 05 model was going to get all the revisions... and most should have seen in coming its been on the Jap Website months!
+ EVERY car maker throws the parts bin at the previous model to entise the final few sales in Subaru's case 500 sales, as normal people hold off buying once they get a wiff of a new one... It generaly works, 500 cars is like a damn good percentage of the years sales of such a car so they did allright out of that then...
Unfortunatly it sounds like you'll now be able to get what is in effect a better car now out of the box with all the revisions. Although it won't have a plastic badge saying its one of only 500 stuck on by some bod at prodrive with a grin on his face!

but who cares...!
Old 07 September 2004, 04:55 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The Euro car has no twin scroll turbo as far as I'm aware - if it does I'll be mighty pissed off about having ordered a JDM model. Seeing all the interior and suspension changes to the Euro car is bad enough!
Old 07 September 2004, 05:18 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
but who cares...!
no one seems to care as much as you n hawk

which way do you lean - left / right ?
or have you got chips on both shoulders ?
Old 07 September 2004, 05:38 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

no i understand about the basic principals of why the 'toys' are good but you have to reach a point where you have to say stop, otherwise you'd get to the point where you want to change the car everyyear, or even everyplate change!

out on the rd between normal drivers i suspect there would be very little differenvce between a twin-scroll jdm and a uk spec sti ppp. all im asking is it justifiable? plus with all the extra benefits of having a uk car.....
Old 07 September 2004, 05:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Is it justifiable? Well, yes. It's the same reason as people mod their cars to begin with - it makes the difference between a car which is good, and a car which is truly satisfying to drive.

The Japanese engine picks up earlier than the UK/PPP version and has much better low down flexibility - so, although it doesn't make much difference on a circuit or drag strip, it does make pulling out of junctions, onto roundabouts and into other gaps in traffic easier. It's that ease and flexibility that's the whole reason why I drive a performance car at all.

I'd never change cars every year - that's a game for people with far more money than sense - but by the same token if you're going to keep the car for a while, it'd better not have any irritating deficiencies that'll make you want rid of it. Buy the right car and it'll last you. Buy the wrong one and you'll be cursing it all the way back to the dealership.

That's why I bought JDM, it'll last me for years.
Old 07 September 2004, 06:01 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

With the 2.5 making into the Forrester, maybe we will have a UK approved T25 for our March/April special edition Get Mr Woods remapping that beauty.

Jonathan
Old 07 September 2004, 11:12 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chins
With the 2.5 making into the Forrester, maybe we will have a UK approved T25 for our March/April special edition Get Mr Woods remapping that beauty.

Jonathan
It'll probably be the gimick to shift what will then be the remaining '05 models before the revised shape of the '06 car is released.