Sponsored by:

New car - No Tax

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2004, 01:55 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New car - No Tax

i'm hopefully picking up my new car next saturday, the problem i have though is there's no tax on it.
I've bought the car over the phone subject to a test drive/ viewing s it's 220 miles away, i'm going down next saturday and if it's as described will be buying it there and then and will be driving it home.
Now i know the post office will be closed so i can't tax it on saturday but will it be ok to drive home (i'll sort insurance out over the phone when i've got the car - before i drive it) - or will i get stopped?
Old 05 September 2004, 02:00 PM
dlynch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robby
i'm hopefully picking up my new car next saturday, the problem i have though is there's no tax on it.
I've bought the car over the phone subject to a test drive/ viewing s it's 220 miles away, i'm going down next saturday and if it's as described will be buying it there and then and will be driving it home.
Now i know the post office will be closed so i can't tax it on saturday but will it be ok to drive home (i'll sort insurance out over the phone when i've got the car - before i drive it) - or will i get stopped?
The answer is no basically..

You will be driving without insurance and no tax on the car... This needs to be sorted before the vehicle is collected. No TAX - No insurance it will be invalid
Old 05 September 2004, 02:04 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Our post office is open all day Saturday. Ask the owner if he will tax the vehicle for you if you give him the cash (using his insurance etc). If he is not insured, you shouldn't even be test driving it anyway.
Old 05 September 2004, 02:06 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

As long as you get insurance before you drive it, you willbe guilty only of driving without tax. Not a big problem as tax is NOT a police prosecution, It is a tax and a civil matter that is dealt with by DVLA swansea. If you are stopped by police and reported for No tax, a form is sent to swansea for consideration of a prosecution. It is an offence to drive your car without a valid tax disc, however, as long as yo get your tax ASAP and back date it for the whole Month then it is unlikely that DVLA will want to bother with a prosecution.

My suggestion is get your insurance, get your car, then on the next working day go get your tax.
Old 05 September 2004, 02:12 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies - the seller is a dealer so if he taxes it for me hell have his name on the new logbook (it only has 1 owner now)

If i carry the V10 tax application form filled in and the MOT (garage putting full MOT on before i collect) as well as insurance docs this will look better if i'm stopped wont it? (can say i'm looking for an open post office (ok there isn't 1 on the M1)
Old 05 September 2004, 05:35 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
Thanks for the replies - the seller is a dealer so if he taxes it for me hell have his name on the new logbook (it only has 1 owner now)

If i carry the V10 tax application form filled in and the MOT (garage putting full MOT on before i collect) as well as insurance docs this will look better if i'm stopped wont it? (can say i'm looking for an open post office (ok there isn't 1 on the M1)
The only other way around it is if you have a mate in a dealership somewhere that can lend you some trade plates.
Old 05 September 2004, 06:04 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

better safe than sorry - i just took out the insurance policy and asked for the cover note to go to the dealer so he can tax it before i get there - hope i like the car as its just cost me a fortune before i've seen it
Old 05 September 2004, 06:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dlynch
The answer is no basically..

You will be driving without insurance and no tax on the car... This needs to be sorted before the vehicle is collected. No TAX - No insurance it will be invalid
This hasn't been the case for years; years and years. VEL has no bearing on the validity of your insurance.

Simon
Old 05 September 2004, 06:40 PM
harry_p1
Scooby Regular

I bought my P1 Four months ago had 2 cover notes (cost £8 extra for second) sent by insurance company both by recorded delivery, one to me and one to the dealer they got me the tax before i got there to pick it up. I had two cover notes incase one didnt reach the dealer. This way i'd get to pick it up and no hassle.
If for some reason the dealer dont receive cover note speak to Royal Mail compensation and leave earlier on saturday get it yourself and ALL main post offices are open till Midday on Saturday.
Ive had three Scoobies all from dealers different places in country and they dont release the car without roadtax, seeing insurance paperwork. and Mot (if appl) which they would do if buying a proven used subaru anyway.

Dont be sorry if something happens after spending all that money on your pride and joy
Hope all goes well
Old 05 September 2004, 08:49 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

i went a whole 4 months with out tax once, years ago. And was never stopped in that time.
Old 05 September 2004, 09:44 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93
i went a whole 4 months with out tax once, years ago. And was never stopped in that time.
just takes one camera now thanks to no. recognition and central database...
Old 05 September 2004, 11:55 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I have trade insurance and i can tax a car NOT in my name the dealer should be able to tax the car and the post office will send the docs away for you job done

As the v5 says the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner etc etc
Old 06 September 2004, 01:01 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dlynch
No TAX - No insurance it will be invalid
Sorry but this almost never the case. Unless your policy specifically states that a valid VED must be in the car then it’s not a problem regarding insurance.
Old 06 September 2004, 09:16 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by pugoetru
I have trade insurance and i can tax a car NOT in my name the dealer should be able to tax the car and the post office will send the docs away for you job done

As the v5 says the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner etc etc

so what is the best assurance of ownership title when buying privately - presumably HPI can be hours+ out of date......
Old 06 September 2004, 09:20 AM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

You can of course take the chance and go without...if you get stopped, then you are most likely to get a CLE2/8. You'd still be reported for an offence but any prosecution would be dealt with by DVLA not CPS. Most usually where a few (or even just the one!!) day is involved, they will simply give the option to pay the back tax instead of wasting time in court.
But technically you do commit an offence, although it has no impact on your insurance whatsoever.
Whatever you do though, don't use another disc to try and hide the fact. Fraudulent use of a vehicle licence is a criminal offence!!!