Sponsored by:

Wot would you do ??

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2004, 12:11 PM
WRXSTI Colin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wot would you do ??

A month ago my mind was made up. No question an STI, not a doubt in my mind.....untill. I sat down, thought long and hard about what I want out of the car, price, performance etc. etc. Recently Ive been looking at and considering more and more the WRX. Cheaper insurance, cheaper to buy, nice car. Could put the STI spoiler and PPP. and still have change for other mods, springs etc.
Now I am in a complete state on confusion. So guys, help me. I know the differences between the two, but is a WRX with PPP and springs a reasonable compromise over the STI. In terms of performance, handling, ride etc are they a world apart? I must add that I wish to buy new. My hearts telling me to hold out for the STI but my head is going the more sensible route. I know I should test drive both, but I know I'd like them both anyway.
Old 28 July 2004, 12:20 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Are you planning on PPPing the STi???

If not go for the WRX\PPP.
Old 28 July 2004, 12:25 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

I'm sure most will say the Sti ...

I have a my04 WRX with PPP, a prodrive spoiler (springs to be fitted later if the baby says its ok!)

I love it .... power to weight ratio and torque up there with a standard sti (indeed more so).

cheers

Mark
Old 28 July 2004, 12:30 PM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Unless you go for a mod friendly insurance company I think you will find, that most insurance companies will charge more for the WRX with PPP vs a standard Sti.
Yeah I don't get it either, but thought you should know.
Old 28 July 2004, 12:30 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Well Colin, I've noticed in all the magazines that the WRX with PPP seems to be the preferred choice over the STI all things considered. I never actually got to drive one with PPP but the WRX that I test drove left me very disappointed. Tbh it was dreadful. The sti was a lot better but still didn't have me rushing out to find in excess of £20k at the time. Was told the sti with PPP or even TSL 333 conversion would satisfy my appetite but again never had the opportunity to put this to the test. Perhaps Spec C or type 25?

I've stuck with my UK97 for now and will have another rethink early next year. I symapthise with your plight mate.....I've read about people on here who have swapped P1's etc for Sti8 PPP and regretted their purchase so your right not to take these things lightly.

Good luck.

Rob
Old 28 July 2004, 12:38 PM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

My thoughts - you mention holding out for the STi. Does this mean you could afford the WRX now but not the STi? If so is buying the WRX now only going to satisfy your urge for a new car and then a little while later do you think you'll wish you'd waited till you can afford the STi.

I've got a WRX PPP and personally I think it is an extremely good everyday car. Prior to buying the WR1 I drove an STi and loved it. Having said that I could see the comfort advantages in the WRX but for thrill value the STi is always going to win over the WRX.

I believe if you are thinking of waiting for the STi then that is what I would do rather than buying a WRX and always wondering if I should have waited for the STi. I would wait but we are all different and this is my opinion!!

Wait, STi, wait, PPP.
Old 28 July 2004, 12:38 PM
WRXSTI Colin
Scooby Newbie

Mark, I suppose PPPing the STI would be inevitable, purely because of the improved driveability. BUT, its all about cost. The STI IMO looks stunning especially the MY04. I could I suppose go for a nearly new STI, but its a cost thing again. Bang for your buck it seems to me that a WRX with the appropriate bits and pieces offers a good choice in terms of look and performance. To me outright performance and power is not the ultimate buying criteria. What I want is a good handling, nice looking car with adequate performance without spending £26-£27K. There is a fairly big price difference between the two.
Old 28 July 2004, 02:06 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by WRXSTI Colin
Mark, I suppose PPPing the STI would be inevitable, purely because of the improved driveability. BUT, its all about cost. The STI IMO looks stunning especially the MY04. I could I suppose go for a nearly new STI, but its a cost thing again. Bang for your buck it seems to me that a WRX with the appropriate bits and pieces offers a good choice in terms of look and performance. To me outright performance and power is not the ultimate buying criteria. What I want is a good handling, nice looking car with adequate performance without spending £26-£27K. There is a fairly big price difference between the two.
Get an 03 STi PPP with PPP springkit + 18" wheels for just over £20k tops - best bang per buck and bearable ride (ins quote was £750 for me - late forties) - I am still saving - hope to buy at end of year
Old 28 July 2004, 02:32 PM
WRXSTI Colin
Scooby Newbie

WRI-Bro, Your about spot on, well almost. Buying new is fround upon by many, but in the case of a car like the Imprezza you know the history etc. you know it hasnt had the gonads thrashed out of it. But saving that additional £6K when I could amost purchase a WRX now is probably swaying towards the latter.
Just to pick your brains further is there any other bodywork mods apart from thr front and rear spoiler that would be needed to make it identical to an STI. Appreciate all your comments by the way, thanks