Insurance Query??

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2000, 11:00 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anybody help me??

Do I need to tell my insurance company about modifications to my car that are not engine related?? I'm thinking in particular about things like wheels, side skirts etc. I want to get the car looking a bit better but don't ideally want to pay a huge amount more in insurance.

Help would be much appreciated as I don't have a clue!!

Thanks a lot,

Kelvin.
MY00 Turbo.

[This message has been edited by kelvin (edited 13-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 11:07 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Hi Kelvin,

I changed the wheels on my Scoob and found that some companies consider this as a modification. Depends who you're with i suppose.

PFF
Old 13 July 2000, 11:08 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK, thanks. I guess I'll have to look into it, and if necessary, change Insurance company!!

Thanx, Kelvin
Old 13 July 2000, 11:11 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

The best idea Kelvin is to just tell them...

If you didn't need to tell them, they won't charge you any more. If you did need to tell them, they will...

At least if you tell them, and you need to claim / god forbid you hit someone, the insurance company will have no reason to bang out.

Cheers

Simon
Old 13 July 2000, 11:14 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Some people have had real problems when changing wheels. Insurers can decide car is more likely to be stolen (as more desirable) or, if the wheels are larger, can class them as a performance enhancement - less sidewall flex = stiffer ride/better handling.
People have reported here that their insurers have threatened to cancel their policies if *any* changes are made to the car after the policy is taken out. I think they use the fact the car was modified as an excuse to rid themeselves of risk.
Cheers
Charles
( Put prodrive rear wing and 17" ST2's on last car and was stung by Admiral)
Old 13 July 2000, 11:30 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Tell them - Cover Your Ar$e!

FYI NFU are quite happy about the changes I've made to PTMW including Brembos & suspension mods
Old 13 July 2000, 01:17 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Puff

NFU told me they are not taking on any 'new' business - and said that renewal quotes will reflect the current risk.

I'm having real trouble getting quotes on my car. After mentioning that it is modded I have only had one reasonable quote from all the usual names quoted on SIDC.

Looks like I'll be insuring in my girlfriends name! - I'll insure her car and drive the Scooby 3rd party and take the risk! - I was amazed that you dont need to be the owner of the car to get insurance on it? - so I can get the girlfriend to insure it - at about a £1000 reduction in premium! and it will not affect the number of vehicle keepers!
Old 13 July 2000, 01:24 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

For mods other than to the engine insurance comanies seem to have (at least ) two criteria

a) Does the fact that this person wants to modify an already fast car qualify them as a driving "nutter".

b) How much will it cost us to replace thousand pound wheels/tyres, exhaust pipe mods etc. in addition to the cost of the original vehicle.

You can see their reasoning on both points.

But they're still licensed to print money in my opinion.
Old 13 July 2000, 01:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Steve

Are you under 30? Could be why NFU won't quote OR if your car is an import & you weren't insured with them previously.

Don't split up with the girlfriend or you might have a custody battle! Check out the small-print about main drivers though.

Old 13 July 2000, 05:24 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Puff

I am under 30 (just)

NFU wont insure any imports - will only give renewal quotes to existing customers - inferred that such quotes should be balooning and offputting those who are deemed higher risk

I personally think its Paul Franks fault for having a front end shunt with his sti5 (insured with NFU)

The quotes I've been getting are ridiculous (but I have a number of driving convictions for speed!)
About 50% wont insure about 30% wont insure, not because of the convictions but becuase of modifications to the car (which I can prove are non-performance enhancing - on Powerstations rollers, of course - plus I've included the mods in the value of the car - I know full well that mods dont increase the cars value)

The other 20% range from £1500 upwards. Norwich Union is the main offender - basically they are a joke. Adrian Flux was the worst - I mentioned a joke amount - £2800 for insurance that I'd had elsewhere with the NU and they said they could not beat it!

I will probably go for a restricted mileage with no protection - after all you get screwed anyway if you have an accident and 2 years no claims does not make a huge difference