Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoglym

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2000, 03:05 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ag=fter all the recent interest about Waxes I thought I would give AutpoGlym a cahnce to respond. I did not tell AutoGlym where I got the quote below.

I have always been impressed with your products and have been using them for the past few years. I would, however be interested on your comment to the following statement:

The AutoGlym product uses a high vapour plus chalk to help the product dry.
The chalk acts as a microspoic polishing agent which then removes paint as well as minor imperfections. Whilst buffing all this chalk off your get white fallout all over the place and when doing the roff it lands on the glasswork to boot. Net result is that you have to keep shaking the residue out of yer colth. The so called waxes that AutoGlym product use are sythetic resin waxes ie man made and analysis show that the content of such resin waxes is between 3.5 and 5% maximum. Lasting effect of such so called resins are around 2 weeks and sometimes 3 weeks.

Their response:

We are not quite sure how you wish us to comment. you have made your own
observations.

we obvously cannot disclose the exact content of each product and durability
varies enormously dependent on environment , weather , age of car, etc.etc.

To which I sent:

Thank you for taking time to respond to my email.

The following comment was not my view.

The AutoGlym product uses a high vapour plus chalk to help the product dry.
The chalk acts as a microspoic polishing agent which then removes paint as well as minor imperfections. Whilst buffing all this chalk off your get white fallout all over the place and when doing the roff it lands on the glasswork to boot. Net result is that you have to keep shaking the residue out of yer colth. The so called waxes that AutoGlym product use are sythetic resin waxes ie man made and analysis show that the content of such resin waxes is between 3.5 and 5% maximum. Lasting effect of such so called resins are around 2 weeks and sometimes 3 weeks.

Does Auto Glym wax contain chalk?
Can this chalk remove paint?
Is the wax synthetic?
Is this synthetic wax a maximumof 5% of the content?

I waited 4 days and heard nothing so sent:

your silence speaks volumes. I will no longer use Auto Glym products. I was hoping you would come up with a good defence for your products. You didnt. I will share my experiences on the various BBS on which I post.

They then resonded a few days later with:

Your messages have been passed to me as David Rogers has
literally just returned from a holiday. I am sorry to learn of your
dissatisfaction with the answers you have received so far as we work very
hard to answer our customer's enquiries which we constantly receive.

Someone has obviously gone to a great deal of trouble to try and analyse our
product..... Super Resin Polish is a highly sophisticated product which
competitors have been trying to copy for years - I know because I used to
work for one of them. I do hope you can therefore understand, for
competitive reasons, that we are unable to enter into detailed analysis of
our formulations.

We are happy to tell you that Super Resin Polish contains a mild polishing
powder to remove ingrained grime and light imperfections, but this is
certainly not ordinary chalk. Please consider, a polish with no cleaning
capacity cannot remove ingrained grime or even light imperfections and will
produce an inferior finish. Super Resin Polish is designed primarily for
medium to frequent use by owners who look after their cars and as such it
incorporates a highly controlled surface action. We use a complex blend of
waxes and resins, some elements of which are synthetic as these provide many
benefits over and above the alternatives but this is really only a fraction
of what it takes to produce an excellent finish. As for longevity, David is
correct in stating that it really is dependent on so many variables but in
normal use we would certainly expect it to exceed the times quoted.

You kindly say that you have always been impressed by our products and of
course, the defining point is the result obtained. We are confident our
polish produces an excellent finish on good to moderately good paintwork and
this is endorsed by approvals from many of the world's leading automotive
manufacturers and many thousands of private motorists in over 40 countries
around the world.

I trust that you will consider this answers your questions satisfactorily or
appreciate why we cannot give more detailed information. If not, perhaps you
would like to telephone me so I can find out more about your particular
application. Tel: 01462 677766.

Kind regards, Marc Laundon

Old 06 July 2000, 03:47 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

I think Mr Autoglym has done quite well in answering a bull**** question.

Old 06 July 2000, 03:50 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Thank you Fullonloon
Old 06 July 2000, 04:25 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Sorry, re-read that, wasn't meaning to sound rude. You didn't really give them a chance to respond. The general user of Autoglym products aren't going to know about chalk this whatsit that. You didn't really get at anything - leading me to think well - what's the point in the question.
You didn't say where you got the quote from - you didn't pose a question directly at them the first time, just asked them to comment. Then you go on to say that you won't use Autoglym products as they haven't replied is silly. I think the chap has done very well in responding at length like that - more than other companies would.

[This message has been edited by Fullonloon (edited 06-07-2000).]
Old 06 July 2000, 06:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this looking for some info on best wax etc. as I use Autoglym and rate it highly.

And the point of all this is?????????

Confused??
Old 06 July 2000, 09:05 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

I would think that part of the point is to see whether Autoglym is prepared to defend its products or not, and act in response to interested customers....

I personally rate Autoglym products very highly - and for a number of reasons..

1) One of the girls I used to live with worked there. As a result I got the'real' story a lot of the time - which is basically that their products really are very good!
2) Another of my friends worked there as a development chemist - she has a degree in chemistry, so they arent exactly 'mucking about'
3) The products are used and respected world wide by lots of diffeernt people.

On the downside...

I have been posting on this board for quite a few years - and gave Mr Laundon (who I also know a little - very nice chap) a suggestion that this might be a very good place to build a comunity of loyal fans. This advice was basically ignored - for whatever reason. Our WOW appeared on the scene some months later, and has copnstantly impressed with customer focus and excellent products. He has won over a lot of people, myself included, with this approach - I still have about 400 quids worth of Autoglym products which I dont use...

I dont personally think that there is masses to choose between them in terms of quality of finish acheived, but the actual process of using the WW products is so much more pleasant, and the support so much better that I have gone this route. I would also say that the finish produced is better, on the whole, than Autoglyms - but I imagine that is partly subjective

pslewis.....you will be pleased by either WW or Autoglym products I think - my personal choice would be WW...and thats about it!

cheers
Night
Old 06 July 2000, 10:10 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Night
you are right. how many companiesdo you know that when you send a query you will get the reply by the director. i went the WW way because of the personal touch they provide. i bought the starter kit last week and asked for the alloy wheel cleaner instead of the upholstery cleaner, they got it mixed up one email and the alloy wheel cleaner arrives in the post 2 days later. no phone calls no waiting no return the extra item that you have. great
Old 06 July 2000, 10:51 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

I am completely biased towards WW due the way looked after me as well as the extensive car cleaning product range they carry.

I had a new car and bought a starter kit based on feedback I read from this board.

The car however, had some small white spots of paint. I was toying sending the car back back with all the hastle and waiting that this would cause but I decided to give WW a ring.

They mixed me a solution to remove the white spots, but, to top they actually came down to my house, had a look and went for a slightly different solution and actually did the majority of the work !!. They used clay with some liquid for lubrication - weird, yes, but it worked - non abbrasive so I didnt loose any lacker. I AM A HAPPY BUNNY.

Aside from customer care, they a very extensive range of products and are absolutely obsessive about paint care. This is because they are real care enthusiast themselves. They have different waxes for different types of paint as each paint has differing protective requirenments.

I cant compare it to other products as the only other thing Ive used was Turtle Wax (which I though was sh&t), but I can say the WW products are easy to use (and I dont have the patience for this sort of thing). I can also say that their product are nice to handle - ie smell nice and dont remove skin. The car is very shiny and now waxed seems very easy to maintain.

I really feel for WW as they have great products but little to no brand recognition. Comming from a company that had the same dilema I was really pleased to put my business to a company that offers good service, are British and most importantly have great products.

bkar
Old 06 July 2000, 11:07 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I thought the response from Marc Laundon at AutoGlym was pretty good going. There are very few largish companies who can even be bothered to respond in a coherent and personalised way.

Andrew
Old 07 July 2000, 10:24 AM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have always used Autoglym on my Scoobies and think it is the dogs. I have tried all sorts of other stuff and nothing beats it. Super Resin Polish and then the Extra Protection polish works really well, and the Sonic Blue on my car is shining like a winner. Just remember to clean you car with water only. This way, the polish stays on the car for longer!
P.S Super Resin also works well on alloys!
Old 07 July 2000, 01:19 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

The reason I sent the query to AutoGlym was two fold:
1. I thought it only fair for them to have their say when accusations had be implicated against their products.
2. I have spent a fair bit of cash on AutoGlym products and wanted to know if I was doing more bad than good using them.

I was impressed, thought not convinced, by the long email I eventually recieved from AutoGlym. I did send them a thank you note.