Styling Exterior styling

Zymol Vs Swissol Vs AutoGlym

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2004, 06:41 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Zymol Vs Swissol Vs AutoGlym

Right it's time to replenish the Car cleaning cupboard.....I've always used Autoglym super Resin Polish with Extra Gloss Protection over the top on my CTR, i've always been happy with the results but i've got this gnawing doubt that either Zymol or Swissol could do an even better job!

Soooooooooo has anyone had experience of using Autoglym then trying either of the two others? And if so what would u say is the best way to go ?
Old 27 July 2004, 06:48 PM
sti joy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

i used autoglym, was told about meguiars products, went to allwoods bought a load, washed and waxed, put the sunglasses on and put all the autoglym in the bin, go and try some you will not be disappointed.
Old 27 July 2004, 07:08 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

meguiars
Old 27 July 2004, 07:10 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

meguiars it even smells nice!!
Old 27 July 2004, 07:15 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sti joy
i used autoglym, was told about meguiars products, went to allwoods bought a load, washed and waxed, put the sunglasses on and put all the autoglym in the bin, go and try some you will not be disappointed.
I did exactly the same, also bought mine from Allwoods (Newark branch).
Top drawer polish, especially the carnauba wax.
Old 27 July 2004, 07:17 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Swissol You wont get better !
Good value for money at approx £2 - £3 a week !
All the customers I have will never use anything else again
Old 27 July 2004, 07:27 PM
zakesm
Scooby Regular

i tried meguiars gold class and wont turn back - only annoying thing is the white stains on the rubbers/mouldings. but otherwise great. the wax smells like peaches and the tyre gloss smells like grapes! what do u do with americans!?!?!

zak
Old 27 July 2004, 07:35 PM
sti joy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

get the next generation stuff, even better than gold class.
Old 27 July 2004, 07:36 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Bit of a no brainer IMHO Swissol
Old 27 July 2004, 07:39 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

meguiars - the tyre dressing smells like Bubblegum
Old 27 July 2004, 07:48 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i use swissol. expensive but definately worth it. the samurai starter kit is about £125 IIRC

cheers

big sinky
Old 27 July 2004, 07:48 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

meguiars
just did mine again with clay bar, detailer and nxt tech wax
put it away before the sun comes out and blinds me
chris.
Old 27 July 2004, 07:57 PM
sti joy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Old 27 July 2004, 08:01 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Well I would go with either Clearkote or Poorboys, but failing that for the price and quality Meguiars

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/ tell him rhodri sent you for the poorboys and you would like a offer price.
Old 27 July 2004, 09:33 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

At the moment im using Auto Glyms Shampo and conditioner, Super resin polish and tyre and wheel stuff and the glass polish and the results are ok, but my dad had noticed that his scoob is not getting as shiny and as clean as he would like. so we are going to try something else, probably either Zymbol or meguiars stuff. But this time get the wax as well to really show off the WR blue colour.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 27 July 2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 27 July 2004, 10:43 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Swissol for me, having used Autoglym for a year or two.

Best bought from www.performanceparts4u.co.uk top quality service. I ordered mine at 5.30 one afternoon and it was with me by 11 the next morning. And it smells nice too. Had to stop one of the girls in my office from eating it!!!
Old 27 July 2004, 11:24 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

And it smells nice too. Had to stop one of the girls in my office from eating it!!!
Lol, one of the missus's mates was round tonight and she's rubbed it on the inside of both her wrists
Old 28 July 2004, 12:03 AM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Swissol
Old 28 July 2004, 07:06 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Well the old nut, a polish versus a glaze.
Depends on how much you love your motor...... lets look at the difference between polishes and glazes.
A good analagy is wood, you want a shine on wood yes? So you can get various grades of sandpaper and smooth the surface down, until you are using a real fine grade of paper and the wood has a super smooth surface. Or you can use a varnish. One affects the surface and the other adds a shine on top.
All polishes (must admit the new clear polishes cant be a polish as such and must be in the glaze catagory what ever they say) contain clay, that's the white stuff, that marks plastics, the residue after it dries, the clay acts as a carrier for a small amount of wax or resin. The abrasiveness of the polish depends on the fineness of the clay. If you look very closely at the surface after polishing (with a microscope) it will resemble a well used ice skating ring, the clay will have scratched the surface and polished it down. Over time the suface can become a little dulled as the original sprayed gloss becomes diluted. The less abrasive the polish (like Autoglym) the less this is noticeable.
With a glaze you dont have any clay fillers, these are totally non-abrasive. They usually have a high content of Carnuba wax, a natural product that is the hardest known wax. Its also very expensive, so the more carnuba the more the glaze costs. But it wont affect your paint in any way it will add the shine on the top. Its probably more noticeable on a new car that hasnt been polished to death so it enhances the paint. Have you noticed how mush a new car shines? A glaze will retain that. Saying all that its still worth using on any car with good paintwork. The level of protection afgainst, flies, bird ****, tree sap, or just the enviroment is far highr than anything else.
Personally I would not touch my STI with a 'polish' its only ever been glazed and it does show............... Have used both, Swissol and Zymol and prefer the latter. But both amazing!

Last edited by r32; 28 July 2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 28 July 2004, 07:41 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers R32 never knew any of that M8, looks like it's between either Zymol Swissol and Meguiars then!
Old 28 July 2004, 09:12 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

If anyone is interested I will run a Scoobynet group buy & if we can get enough interest I will give 10% off the Swissol products

Paul
Old 28 July 2004, 11:14 AM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I bought the Swissol samurai starter kit from www.performanceparts4u.co.uk after reading some very good reviews on scoobynet.
I must say the results are stunning. I have some pictures from a few days ago and will post them when I get them off my camera.

Someone needs to use all the above products on different panels of their car and we can all vote!

Until then, you won't find anything except swissol on my car! Smells great and the wax is very easy to apply and wipe off too.
Old 28 July 2004, 11:20 AM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fulham71
If anyone is interested I will run a Scoobynet group buy & if we can get enough interest I will give 10% off the Swissol products

Paul
Paul,
I'm up for a group buy
Old 28 July 2004, 12:24 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

used autoglym for roughly 3 years on 2 cars and swore it was the best. Then bought zymol when i bought a scoob and it was better lasting a lot longer between polishes. Then bought a new sti last march and treated it to swissol and have to say it is better still. all imho!
Old 28 July 2004, 03:26 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

A good analagy is wood, you want a shine on wood yes? So you can get various grades of sandpaper and smooth the surface down, until you are using a real fine grade of paper and the wood has a super smooth surface. Or you can use a varnish. One affects the surface and the other adds a shine on top.
Wouldn't a better approach be to prepare the surface so that it is super smooth and THEN apply a varnish to seal in the shine?

On a new or nearly new car you can get away with applying just a wax. If the car is older and has picked up a few imperfections such as light scratches, swirl marks and oxidation the occasional use of a mild polish will improve the condition of the paint.

Autoglym seems to get a bad press on Scoobynet since the arrival of Zymol, Swissol and meguiars. If anyone thinks Autoglym Super Resin Polish is too abrasive then try applying some to a new blank CD or DVD. I have and there are no signs of surface damage. Try the same thing with T-CUT metallic and surface scratches are clearly visible. There is a huge difference between a cutting compound and a polish.

I normally use Autoglym Super Resin Polish a couple of times a year on my car. Then I top this with a wax about once a month. http://www.properautocare.com/p21spastewax.html

It is available from http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/...polish_wax.php

The version I use though is called S100 and is available from Harley Davidson dealers.
Old 28 July 2004, 05:01 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

MZplaczek
Please get in touch

Paul
Old 28 July 2004, 05:29 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I've used all of the 3 listed.

Preference is Zymol - though the white powder residue can be a pain. The results are excellent. Plus it smells like a tanning lotion - luverly!

meguiars is very good also, but it doesnt seem to shine as much on my car for sum reason. However, on other one it works a treat. AND no residue.

Autoglym is also very good, again residue is a pain.

As some said earlier, got to do with condition of car paint prior as to which is best. My old Mondeo worked best with Halford stuff - no kidding!!
Old 28 July 2004, 05:41 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

You wont go wrong with Swissol