MY98 Wagon stolen & recovered - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 05:39 PM
Dazzling
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY98 Wagon stolen & recovered - advice please

Hi all,

Sadly in the early hours of Saturday morning we suffered a break in with keys and some household stuff taken along with my UK MY98 2000 Turbo Wagon. My wife was disturbed in her sleep and although I made it to the front of my house, two tw*ts pulled off with the car screaming at its red line before I could get close (we were probably fortunate in a way that we were not confronted by them in a sleepy daze i guess).

I am insured with L&V and have already reported it stolen. I have today been told by the Police that the car has been found (after being used with fake plates in a bank job today) and that no obvious damage exists. Despite my love of the cars drivability I do not want it back. Problems like beging logged with HPI as stolen, engine/clutch/gearbox or any other 'invisble' damage which will cause the car to fail in the near future at my expense.

On top of all this my Wife is traumatised by the whole event (tablets from Doc etc. etc.) and the cops who interviewed her next day (i couldn't be at home to hear the ****e from the cops due to my job) told her that she is risking the life of her and my little 7 month old girl by driving round in such a car (not because of speed/crappy crash protection) but carjacking etc.

My Dad had a MG Montego stolen many years back and they found syringes stuck down gaps/seats etc and things like this also concern me.

Anybody know what rights I have to refuse the car as this is starting to worry me?

Cheers

Dazzling

Last edited by Dazzling; 07 June 2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07 June 2004, 05:47 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

My god how awful. I feel for you, and to be honest, this is why I don't agree with Trackers, it is also the reason I won't use Tesco insurance anymore(insist on Trackers). My view is that if some smackhead has been thrashing my car all around the country I don't want it back.

Hope your wife feels better soon.
Old 07 June 2004, 05:56 PM
Dazzling
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Trem
My god how awful. I feel for you, and to be honest, this is why I don't agree with Trackers, it is also the reason I won't use Tesco insurance anymore(insist on Trackers). My view is that if some smackhead has been thrashing my car all around the country I don't want it back.

Hope your wife feels better soon.
Cheers for the reply. Waiting for wife to get home so she can give me crime number from cops. I will then be very strongly (but pleasantly) advising L&V that I do not want the car back. I am told legally by my solictor today that I am obliged to by law if its not written off which i think sucks!?
Old 07 June 2004, 06:22 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

If it was for a bank job you are lucky they left before you got up, mate. Does your solicitor mean you have to have it back, or you can reject it? It seems fair that you should be able to reject, I would, but what the insurance comapny think about fair is another matter.

Good luck and let us know results...
Old 07 June 2004, 06:31 PM
Dazzling
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
If it was for a bank job you are lucky they left before you got up, mate. Does your solicitor mean you have to have it back, or you can reject it? It seems fair that you should be able to reject, I would, but what the insurance comapny think about fair is another matter.

Good luck and let us know results...
The car was stolen early hours sat morning and used today. Solictor reckons that insurance company are only obliged to pay out if it is write off. A further worry (as seen in another thread here) is that the will come back again to nick it.

Don't get me wrong I have owned some great cars and the Scooby is up there with most BUT i do not want any more risks associated with it, particularly if someone tried again, found it harder to locate keys and came upstairs for a go! With a wife and young kid, I now understand the analogy of a man and his castle.

Will let you know i get on.
Old 07 June 2004, 06:32 PM
Simon Lau
Scooby Regular

Yep it sucks big time but is the law...

I'd be feeling exactly the same as you if I were in your shoes...I'm uncomfortable even having mechanics drive my car when it’s being serviced so having a couple of scumbags doing thrashing it around is even worse

I've heard a lot of stories of break-ins where people’s cars are taken for this same reason but on this occasion there have been no casualties, which we can all thank.

Helping your wife get over this trauma will be your priority. Give it a couple of weeks to see how you feel about the car before making a decision. If you have a second car, drive that around for a bit!

Take it easy big guy
Old 07 June 2004, 10:08 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but this has bugged me all night. Instead of advising you that you are putting your families life in danger by driving a car that you want to drive, why dont the police buy a couple of scoobys and try and catch some car jackers. Annoyed the **** out of me has that.

Maybe think about getting the car "stolen" by one of your mates if you do have to have it back.

I hate insurance companies, I really do. None of them are good so to speak, they will move the goalposts everytime to suit their needs.

Once again my best wishes go out to your wife, hope she is feeling better tonight.

Trending Topics

Old 07 June 2004, 10:27 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Sorry to here of this m8,it is not pleasant at all.The one thing I would say though is ,dont change your lifestyle choices to suit others.You work to enjoy these things so dont let scum put you off and change how you live.My wife drives our Scooby,more than I do,often with the young children in.It is a worry,I must admit,but they could have nicked a Rover or Vauxhaul just the same.

I hope after a little while you can enjoy your car again.They are robust cars so the chances are they have done no lasting mechanical damage.

All the best for the future to you and your family,whichever decision you make.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:31 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its a bugger is that - sorry to hear about it.

I often wonder if a little note on the speedo with a £20 note would do the trick.

"if you have stolen this car please burn it once you are done. Thanks".
Old 07 June 2004, 11:08 PM
wrexxx
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate hope the wife feels better soon...As a new scooby owner im begining to be very cautious now after hearing so many stories, every night I block the drive with ma dads car as well and CAT 1 being fitted tomorow hopefully Avitel MAXXX 3 £250 (not a bad price)

Good luck mate
Old 08 June 2004, 02:43 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear but it could happen whatever car you have.

What area did this happen in?
Old 08 June 2004, 02:50 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by wrx
Sorry to hear but it could happen whatever car you have.

What area did this happen in?
Have the tos*ers been caught...if they have and they get their well deserved day in court, then it might be worth trying this. Get a dealer to check the car, give them the circumstances and tell them you are concerned....do it right and they might suggest, for safety's sake of course, to replace some bits....you might then be able to claim for criminal compensation....it can be hit and miss, but if someone can get a £100 for a black eye, why not new parts for a stolen car...or even compensation for the mental anguish which might pay to repair the bits!! Maybe go to Citizens advise also, see what thay have to say....
Either way, don't let them change your lifestyle!!!
Pete
Old 08 June 2004, 05:37 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy

Realy sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she feels better soon.
It seems such a shame that people are picked on in this way just for owning something desirable.

If you can reject the car I would. But the ins company are bound to give you less than you are entitled to.

I think the key to all of this is SURVEILLANCE. The main way someone will know where your scoob is is if you are followed. Just make sure you are not followed home or to work.
Counter surveillance tips for beginners.
1. Drive all the way round a round about several times you will soon suss out who is following you as you appear behind them!
2. Often the car following you won't be directly behind you but will be a car or two back.
3. These guys won't be sophisticated they won't be working as a four car team in ordinary cars. They will probably stand out fairly quickly.

Hope you get it sorted, chin up, don't let the ***** win

Steve
Old 08 June 2004, 06:54 PM
kob999
Scooby Regular

I would fight as much as possible to reject the car, but failing that you are perfectly entitled to make a claim for the dimunition in value because it will be recorded as stolen/recovered.

Insurance companies are not inclined to mention this but you would be well within your rights.

It doesn't take away from what has happened but you could sell the car immediately and recover the loss in value. Quotes from a couple of Subaru dealers for before and after value ought to do it
Old 08 June 2004, 11:16 PM
Dazzling
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for all the replies. I have delayed contacting L&V (insurance) since i managed to get to see the car in a VERY secure compound with scene of crime officers all over it. Car is scratched and keys are missing so alarm blaring away (until battery dies i guess).

I am compiling a list of concerns/reasons for rejecting the car and L&V will get my call tomorrow.

Interesting to read about the 'being followed' scenario as the night before the car was stolen i drove it hard for 20 miles as I was late home. I even said to my wife that this made me thing someone heard/saw and followed. Normally i would drive the car quick but more sensibly.

I will post an update once i get embroiled in the claims crap.

What was very interesting is that the scene of crime cops showed me the fake W reg plates which had a subaru garage name on them. Seems that the are stealing same model/colour scoobies...so i guess my plates will appear on next one the steal.

Was hoping the new child seat and travel cot in boot would still be there as money tight at the moment and we are lost without them. Luckily i have not sold our second car so we do have wheels at the moment.

L&V have p*ssed me off already by telling me that I cannot get the hire care mentioned in the policy until a third party fraud detection company they use come and interview us. Already I am starting to feel i am entering a long and drawn out battle.

It is sad that I have been forced to change my choice of car, but anyone on here with a family must know, i do not want to take any more risks. I can replace metal but not my family!

It will be sad to bow out of such a great following. Who knows when my business picks up i might get a new Saab 9-2x (scooby under cover). http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/previews_story.php?id=46785

Thanks again to you all for your support and advice!

Daz