Sponsored by:

ICE WHY ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2004, 10:28 PM
rdkr
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICE WHY ??????????

I've seen a good few scooby's wth a tonne of ICE in them. I thought the whole point was to go fast, but sticking a shed load of speakers and amp's in car just slows it down. I've never understood why people have a better sound system in the car than there house. Me, i like to dance around to music on scooby snacks but when driving i like to ear the engine singing. If i could i'd dump the rear seats, e-window, aircon for a good few more BHP per toone i would, if the mrs would let me!!
Richard
Old 05 June 2004, 10:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with you entirely. A car is for driving, a living room is for TV/surround sound/subwoofer etc. Although, a basic upgrade of the pants OE stereo is justifiable.
Old 05 June 2004, 10:57 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Totally agree. I used to be right into ICE, but since buying the scoob I'm just not interested. I'd rather listen to the wonderfull noise of the Firestorm.

I have upgraded the sh1te standard system though, just a Kenwood MP3 headuinit and decent direct-replacement speakers. It's all I need for the amount of time I listen in the car.
Old 05 June 2004, 11:03 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

chav's!!!!

but i have two 15inch subs behind my rear seat..........
Old 05 June 2004, 11:04 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Because its too expensive and too hard to drive fast on the roads with all these cameras AND silly fuel prices, the list really can go on. I am not a big ICE fan, but there is a logic behind it all, drive slow, enjoy the ride, listen to some tunes in a car with good street cred. Plus wind the window down, turn the ICE off and hear the spool up.
Kam
Old 05 June 2004, 11:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Because its too expensive and too hard to drive fast on the roads with all these cameras AND silly fuel prices, the list really can go on. I am not a big ICE fan, but there is a logic behind it all, drive slow, enjoy the ride, listen to some tunes in a car with good street cred. Plus wind the window down, turn the ICE off and hear the spool up.
Kam
If you don't want to drive fast, buy a slower prettier car. The Scoob has a pretty defined purpose and it's looks are an acquired taste (I always say they're like that bird in the pub no-one would ****, but everyone has 'cos she's battered but go's like a train)
Old 05 June 2004, 11:51 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by rdkr
I've seen a good few scooby's wth a tonne of ICE in them. I thought the whole point was to go fast, but sticking a shed load of speakers and amp's in car just slows it down. I've never understood why people have a better sound system in the car than there house. Me, i like to dance around to music on scooby snacks but when driving i like to ear the engine singing. If i could i'd dump the rear seats, e-window, aircon for a good few more BHP per toone i would, if the mrs would let me!!
Richard
The std double din unit weighs a tonne, replace that with a single and fit decent replacement speakers in the front and you wont be adding any weight at all.
Adding amps and bass box, now that's another matter. Did that to my old CTR and it did slow it down.

Dipster
Old 06 June 2004, 10:46 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davedipster
The std double din unit weighs a tonne, replace that with a single and fit decent replacement speakers in the front and you wont be adding any weight at all.
Adding amps and bass box, now that's another matter. Did that to my old CTR and it did slow it down.

Dipster
What do you do with the remaining 1 DIN space?
Old 06 June 2004, 10:49 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

SECS
Old 06 June 2004, 11:00 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've already replaced the H/U and speakers (got a 12" Sub in the boot), but now I'm starting to drive mid-long distance with the family (2 x kids), I'm seriously thinking of upgrading the H/U to incorporate at a DVD screen and two TFTs (+ headphones!) in the back for the kids.

Just working out how to do it ATM

Dan
Old 06 June 2004, 11:37 AM
Tony Scoob
Scooby Newbie

No nagging family/neighbours telling you to turn it down all the time, I just prefer a better quality of sound than the standard system.
Old 06 June 2004, 11:54 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I do so agree with u. Its like how many supercars (Ferrari, Lamborghinis, Pagani etc...) have massive amounts of ICE, usually only a headunit and a couple of speakers. But if i had a supercar, i would take the radio out and the speakes as i would rather listen to a V12 engine that a radio whilst i was driving, as that V12 is much more pleasurable than a bunch of tunes. It is sort of ask your self why buy a supercar, not to listen to tunes but to drive fast, Show off, and to listen to a georgous V12 engine purring away - now that what i want! i hope you get what i am trying to say
Old 06 June 2004, 11:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rdkr
Richard

Because the standard Scooby audio is probably the worst I have ever come across in a car of that category/price range.

People will upgrade, then get bitten by the ICE bug I probably have built up around £1000 worth of car stereo over the years

Sometimes, when your not racing round like a loon you do not want to hear the noise of a VW flat 4 engine with a big bore exhaust, or a knackered Fiesta running on 3 cylinders (I'm not the biggest fan of 4 pot boxers...prefer the noise of Porky Flat 6's and V8's), or whilst cruising on the mortorway you want to be able to drown out or supress the awful road and tyre noise.

Weight increase is about 15kgs

If your going to moan about a reduction of power to weight ratio by adding 15Kgs then please, you have my permission to get a life
Old 06 June 2004, 11:57 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I dont see the point either. Decent head unit is all you need. Filling a car with ice is stupid imo Plus your ****ed when it melts
Old 06 June 2004, 12:30 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

Not everyone buys a Scooby to go fast you know.
Old 06 June 2004, 01:48 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

However much I enjoy listening to my boxer growl, it can get a little dull while cruising down the M1.

Rich
Old 06 June 2004, 02:04 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I am lucky enough to have a very good sound system in my home. So good is it in fact that no matter how much money I chucked at ICE I wouldn't get anywhere near it in terms of sound quality as put simply a car is not the world's best place to try and implement a good sound system - in fact it's arguably the worst.

Before everyone starts shouting by good I mean a system that goes some way to reproducing the sound of a live band not one that has more bass than you can shake a stick at and makes your teeth tingle due to the sibilent treble i.e. my idea of good sound may well not be the same as the average ICE enthusiast.

As such I don't bother with anything, but a moderate head unit and some very average speakers in my cars. If the OEM one works OK then it stays.

tiggers.
Old 06 June 2004, 02:22 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DreXeL
Totally agree. I used to be right into ICE, but since buying the scoob I'm just not interested. I'd rather listen to the wonderfull noise of the Firestorm.

I have upgraded the sh1te standard system though, just a Kenwood MP3 headuinit and decent direct-replacement speakers. It's all I need for the amount of time I listen in the car.
agreed, always been into sounds but im just not intrested in the scoob
replaced the standerd speakers with sum £20 kenwood cheepos just because the standerds had failed and left the double din alpine unit in it that the car came from japan with (saw one go for £800ish on the american ebay once second hand : )
Old 06 June 2004, 02:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by elgordano
Not everyone buys a Scooby to go fast you know.
so why do they buy one??
Old 06 June 2004, 02:33 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!

but why shouldn't you upgrade the ice. When you think of the amount of time you spend in your car as apposed to how often you 'actually' make the most of that surround sound in your home, I can see the logic. Mind you filling the boot with subs, makes the car a tad impractical though.
Old 06 June 2004, 02:36 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
so why do they buy one??
To pose around in McD car parks?
Old 06 June 2004, 02:49 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If your going to moan about a reduction of power to weight ratio by adding 15Kgs then please, you have my permission to get a life

as for the original question 'ice why?', well why not? it's a personal thing and if people want to stuff their cars full of ice, fair play to them.

i doubt half the people who drive scoobys drive the car to it's full potential anyway so they're hardly gonna notice a few hundreths knocked off the 0-60 time with a boot full of subs.

i've done both extemes, loads of ice when i was younger whereas now i'm happy with my pioneer h/unit and replacement speakers. horses for courses
Old 06 June 2004, 02:57 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Its only the difference between a 14 stone bloke and an 18 stone bloke for a full wad of ICE.

How many folk went on a diet to buy a scoob ? LOL

Saying that my *** used to stick in between the sides of my seat before I lost a few pounds.