I nearly got killed yesterday- and couldn't stop laughing

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2000, 11:22 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Had quite a bizzare thing happen to me yesterday evening when on my merry way down the M6 to go spend the weekend at Brands Hatch with the race car.

I was cruising along in the outside lane doing approx 85MPH and passing the odd car in the middle lane.

I started to aproach a clapped out Chrysler Thingy (forgot its damn name), £50 jobbie, and it violently veered from the inside lane to the outside lane right in front of me doing 50MPH.

Thank god for ABS and SO2's, missed this nutter by mm's.

I thought this guy must realy hate scoobies or me! so i droped back a bit and followed for about 1/2 mile. This guy just sat there at 50MPH and so i thought, sod this, i am off and floored it, went to the inside lane and passed him looking to my right at this plonker wondering what the f**k was going on.

All became very clear, the car was populated by a couple of rasta's with the biggest dreadlocks i have ever seen.

And they were merryly puffing away at the biggest joint in the history of mankind.

I know this realy isn't funny at all, but i just couldn't help but see the funny side to this.

I just hope these guys don't end up killing someone because it was so damn close to wiping me out, it made me laugh, nervous laughter i think.
Old 03 July 2000, 08:33 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

John,

You should have asked them for a toke or was it Ian Gratton and his mates

Old 03 July 2000, 10:11 AM
blp
Scooby Regular

Hi John...you want to watch it mate, as undertaking is a ban able offence.....you can only do it in traffic, not if the guy in the outside lane is simply to slow!!! A mate of mine was done for 6 months on the M27 for doing this...
Old 03 July 2000, 10:24 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
errrrrrrmmmmmmm.

Somehow i don't think the cops would screw me for passing a stoned rasta on an emptyish motorway when he was in the outside lane doing 50MPH.

I had 250 miles to drive, i aint sitting at 50MPH behind a clapped out shed of a Chrysler Horizon (remembered its name ), thats for sure.

Old 03 July 2000, 01:21 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a question, if someone is doing a rediculous speed like 50 in the fast lane, shouldn't you be allowed to do normal 70 and go past? It's abit like slow moving traffic, if the outside lane is built up people still pass in the middle, I have yet to see someone stop behind a car like that.
Don't want to upset anyone here, but i regularly pass in the inside lanes on the M6 on a friday night, as people going past birmingham just sit in the fast lane and make a big long cue (very very very annoying! and they don't even go anywhere while the middle lane and inside lane is clear) So, while they are doing there 60 mph in the fast lane, i just pass in the inside lane around 65, and I seem get through the traffic 30-40 minutes quicker
Ian

PS- I know i am very bad... I even follow police cars doing 75 instead 70 lol
Old 03 July 2000, 01:30 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

AFAIK - Going past on the inside is not illegal. That is, its not a 'felony' in its own right. If the cops pull you over they'll get you for driving without due care and attention (or similar). This is the reason you have the rule of thumb - which basically goes along the lines of "if the way a ahead is clear then carry on" . Obiously this still means stay within the limit and no lane changing to jump a couple of cars.

The trouble is, even if its perfectly safe, you're nearly always doing something wrong. Even when they're (Mondeo, Astra, White van, etc) queued up in the outside land and the other two are free - chances are the queue is still doing more than 70mph so even if you take the inside you'll have to break the speed limit to get past.

You take yer chances I suppose
Old 03 July 2000, 02:17 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Cool

HARJ !!!!

That is slander...but very funny all the same .

Take it back.

Ian

PS: Why do people always assume people with long hair do this kind of thing...I just don't understand.
Old 03 July 2000, 03:11 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry Ian,

Forgot your into the harder stuff these days hope the trafficing business is still going well

Harj.....