Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WTF !!they must be really desperate!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 10:47 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool WTF !!they must be really desperate!!!

How can shells petrol be lighter than everyone elses isn't liquid the same weight no matter what ????

http://www.jensonf1.com/features/view.asp?id=176
Old 24 May 2004, 10:51 AM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the gravity can change due to temperature & density of the fluid... oh sh#t i'm attempting to use my brain on a Monday morning & it hurts But the difference would be tiny..
Old 24 May 2004, 10:52 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

I would`ve thought the weight of liquids would be different.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:38 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Fraid different liquids have different weights, hence the reason oil and most of its derivitives float on water, its all about S.G. (specific gravity) IIRC oil is around 0.81 where as water is 1, thus 1 litre of oil is lighter than a litre of water, weird eh.

John.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:49 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Ok I can accept that liquids can be different weights and I should have know that already but it is still early

But what about petrol can different brands of petrol be different weights and burn longer etc that they are accusing Ferrari of???

I thought there were only a handfull of refinaries that produce all the petrol and just badge it differnetly, Surely Shell can not be that more advanced than BP or ESSO etc that they can make petrol lighter and burn slower than anyone else.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:53 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel

But what about petrol can different brands of petrol be different weights and burn longer etc that they are accusing Ferrari of???
The can be different weights yes.

The teams try everything to keep the car as light as possible (then they add ballast in relevant places to make it a) handle and b) pass the regs)

They even use Helium in the tires rather than plain air as it is lighter and reduces the un sprung weight!

Old 24 May 2004, 12:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Helium in tyres ? I doubt that very much. Nitrogen I can believe.
Old 24 May 2004, 12:18 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

I thought it was Argon in tyres due to its inertness?
Old 24 May 2004, 12:27 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Cant remember exactly what the air is they use but its not to do with outright weight savings. It's to do with vapour (water) and making sure there isnt any as this exacerbates the problem of pressure changes when the tyre is being used IIRC.
Old 24 May 2004, 12:33 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
But what about petrol can different brands of petrol be different weights
Hell yeah. If you look at the range of fuels offered by the likes of Carless, Elf and Shell for rallying, the different fuels offered by different manufacturers vary slightly.

and burn longer etc
That's as much to do with the mixture as anything else. If Ferrari can run their engine leaner (or if the fuel formulation allows them to run the engine leaner), they'll use less of it.

that they are accusing Ferrari of???
Not sure anyone's accusing Ferrari of anything. It's not like they're cheating. FWIW they've been running this "light" fuel for some time, the website article that is being quoted here is itself quoting old news.

I thought there were only a handfull of refinaries that produce all the petrol and just badge it differnetly
No. The World Rally Championship runs a single (Elf) control fuel, but F1's rules are different. Each fuel manufacturer has to deposit a sample of the fuel used with the FIA, so that it can be verified as compliant with the rules, but it's not like they all use the same stuff with different brands on it.

Surely Shell can not be that more advanced than BP or ESSO etc that they can make petrol lighter and burn slower than anyone else.
Rumour seems to say they can. In reality though nobody, bar the FIA, really know how much of this is true and how much of this is marketing/psychology.

Originally Posted by IWatkins
Helium in tyres ? I doubt that very much.
You'd be incorrect to doubt it. Helium is used in preference to air in many pneumatic tyre applications where performance/weight is important. As stated above, it also has advantages in regard to eliminating water vapour and thus improving consistency.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:32 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
You'd be incorrect to doubt it. Helium is used in preference to air in many pneumatic tyre applications where performance/weight is important. As stated above, it also has advantages in regard to eliminating water vapour and thus improving consistency.
Again, I doubt they use Helium. Have you ever tried to contain helium in anything, never mind a rubber tyre with that kind of loading ?

I think you will find they use pure nitrogen.

Cheers

Ian
Old 24 May 2004, 02:18 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I think helium would work in the case of a racing car because....well, how long are the tyres in use? 1/2 an hour, an hour at most. Doesn't give it much time to find ways to escape.

J.
Old 24 May 2004, 02:34 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Sorry - meant Nitrogen - it was too early!

Using pure nitrogen removes consistency problems and tyre pressures remain far more consistent.